PDA

View Full Version : Joinery

Glenn Vaughn
01-24-2013, 12:40 PM
There has been some recent discussions of joinery methods; M&T, Pocket Screws, dowels etc. My wife decided a couple of years ago that we needed to add additional cabinets in the kitchen along a "bare" wall.

Well the project initially was to be a Bakers table. I searched for wood and found a supply of 8/4 Kentucky Coffeebean at an extremely reasonable price - $1.00 a bf. I purchased the wood and worked up a plan for the table. As I was getting ready to start construction she said "Wait - I need a Pantry first." So it was back to the drawing board to design a pantry like she wanted. I showed the Pantry plan to her and she said "Wait; I need cabinets first." SO I went back to Sketchup to design cabinets. The supplier of the Coffeebean had some 5/4 available that had been in the warehouse for about 25 years for $3.00 a bf. I made the 8 mile round trip and ended up buying all of the 5/4 they had.

The next step was to figure how to assemble the cabinets and pantry. At various rimes I purchased the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig, the Jessem Zip Slot Mortise Kit and finally the DowelMax. As a rank amateur I have found dowels to be the easiest to use.

Pocket hole screws worked pretty well but it was a bit difficult, for me, to get the alignment flush at times. Getting square glue-ups was somewhat tedious. My skill level just is not good enough to do this without a lot of time spent tweaking. They were not a good choice for gluing up panels from narrow boards.
I have a biscuit joiner but have found that there is a bit more play in alignment that I liked. Once again I am sure this is pilot error.
I played with the Jessem and liked how it worked with thicker stock but not with ¾" stock.

I received the DowelMax and was surprised at how well it worked when doing some test joints. This became the method of choice forme.
The advantages of the dowelMax for me were:

Flushness of joints is spot on. Wide panel glue-ups were simple to do.

Joints are square as long as the individual pieces are cut square to begin with. I have not had to "rack" a single case to square it up.

Joining has been quick and easy to do. Panels were as large as 28X70 and ended up looking like a single board.

The cabinets and pantry have been installed for about a year and have not developed any problems at all. The Bakers table has kind of been dropped - at least for the foreseeable future.

Jim Rimmer
01-24-2013, 1:27 PM
Nice looking cabinets. I used dowels 40+ years ago. Maybe I need to revisit. :)

Don Jarvie
01-24-2013, 1:28 PM
Are those all new cabinets? If not you matched the wood very well.

Im a biscuit guy myself when it comes to cabinets. I like a little play so I can fudge square if need be.

hey, as long as it looks good and doesn't fall apart use what works best.

Ole Anderson
01-24-2013, 1:48 PM
I would have thought Ash or Oak looking at the grain. Very nice. I am getting ready to tackle new kitchen cabs, probably frameless construction using my biscuit jointer, but it seems like I have problems keeping the slots aligned properly with the edges, so maybe I need to look at dowels. How do they work for a 90 degree joint? I really like the Kreg system since I got the bench mount unit (a K4?) with the lever clamp and vacuum attachment, but that won't work for the euro style cabinet.

Glenn Vaughn
01-24-2013, 2:09 PM
Are those all new cabinets? If not you matched the wood very well.

These are all new. Have to replace the old cabinets next 0 trying to locate more coffeebean.

Glenn Vaughn
01-24-2013, 2:12 PM
I would have thought Ash or Oak looking at the grain. Very nice. I am getting ready to tackle new kitchen cabs, probably frameless construction using my biscuit jointer, but it seems like I have problems keeping the slots aligned properly with the edges, so maybe I need to look at dowels. How do they work for a 90 degree joint? I really like the Kreg system since I got the bench mount unit (a K4?) with the lever clamp and vacuum attachment, but that won't work for the euro style cabinet.

They are finished with clear poly - no stain. We love the wood.

90 degree joints are a breeze - flush and square as long as the wood is square.

Rod Sheridan
01-24-2013, 5:01 PM
Nice work Glenn, the cabinets look very good.

For panel glue ups I don't use any mechanical means, just glue edge to edge in the clamps.

For carcass construction I often use rebates, I don't own a pocket screw or dowel jig, I do own a biscuit joiner that is a great dust collector in my shop.........Rod.