PDA

View Full Version : Flying Bridge vs. Fixed Tube?

Daniel Wolanski
01-24-2013, 11:20 AM
After a great discussion on my previous thread ,"G.Weike metal and non-metal" I have decided to stick with the standard co2 non-metal laser cutter. When the technology is more proven, I may pursue it later. But for now, I need a more precise cutting machine than my current stepper driven / belt laser.

I have narrowed it down to two different machines (see pics). Both have ball / screw drive with "very expensive" Sanyo servos and feed back loop for greater precision. The machine is for vector cutting only with precision being my highest priority.

The first machine (LC1390S) has the standard fixed tube in the back with mirrors like we are all use to. The second machine (LC1313S) is larger and has the tubes in the flying bridge. I am trying to come up with the pro's and con's for each. Can you add anything to my list I may have missed???

Flying Bridge LC1313S
Pros
- Mirrors will tend to stay in alignment since all the parts move together.
- Shorter distance between mirrors for Y travel keeps alignment better.
- Any twist in the frame will be irrelevant with respect to beam centering on mirrors since all mirrors move on frame.
- Larger frame accommodates full 4' x 4' sheet of material.

Cons
- Fast movement of bridge can cause mirrors to jiggle creating lead-in / lead out jiggled lines.
- Constant movement of tubes may decrease life?
- All electronics and cooling lines are constantly moving setting up a greater chance of pinching. (I realize the CW5000 does have an alarm though)
- Large mass movement (but this maybe a moot point since I am not engraving)

Fixed Tubes LC1390S
Pros
- Mirror closest to tube is fixed to frame along with tube. Possible greater longevity and less "jiggle"
- It has a close able door to help evacuate fumes and keep wary fingers in one piece.

Cons
- Y axis beam goes between fixed and movable mirrors making alignment more critical and susceptible to tweaks in frame.
- When head is farthest away from tube ( X and Y) alignment is most critical and I have noticed a slight drop in beam quality.

What else am I missing?