PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Bowl - Burnside Sycamore

steven carter
01-24-2013, 9:46 AM
A few years back I got some sycamore from the residence of General Ambrose Burnside who hails from the town I live in, see this post for some historical info: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?84696-First-Burnside-Sycamore-Bowl&highlight and I roughed this out in 2010, but it had spalted some and become punky. I soaked it in my home brew oil and set it aside and forgot about it until rumaging around some rough outs, and decided to finish it up. it ended up 9.75" x 3". I'm not sure why I decided to do the undercut lip on a punky bowl, I've slept too many times since then.

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2013, 9:57 AM
Steven that is a really nice bowl. I like the simple form and undercut rim. Well done.

Brian Kent
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Very nice job and I'm glad the punky part held together and polished up so well.

Mike Cruz
01-24-2013, 1:02 PM
Not sure if this is the same "Burnside" you are referencing, but Burside Bridge is just a few miles from my house...Antietam Battlefield. Supposedly the bloodiest battle there!

BTW, nice bowl!

steven carter
01-24-2013, 1:47 PM
Not sure if this is the same "Burnside" you are referencing, but Burside Bridge is just a few miles from my house...Antietam Battlefield. Supposedly the bloodiest battle there!

BTW, nice bowl!

Mike,

This is the same Burnside. If you look at the link referenced I talked about walking across the bridge to get to the tree instead of crossing the ditch, this was a reference to Burnside not crossing the river (I think it might have been the Rappidan, but would have to look it up). Burnside ordered to troops to detour the long way around and they ended going over the bridge that is now called Burnside bridge. The delay caused many casualties for the Union troops, and it was later found that they could have waded across the river. Major screwup from the Union perspective, a great boon from the CSA perspective.

Steve

Mike Cruz
01-24-2013, 3:12 PM
Um, you took wood from the site? :eek: :D

Brian Kent
01-24-2013, 3:26 PM
Um, you took wood from the site? :eek: :D

Here are the opening words of his thread 2 years ago:"
"This is the first bowl from the sycamore tree I got when the highway department cut the tree from General Burnside's house."

Mike Cruz
01-24-2013, 5:03 PM
Well, there you go! Maybe I should READ!!!!!!!! Sorry. You know, I see burls along the tow path along the Potomac all the time. MAN do I want to cut some off. Who'd miss 'em, right? Yeah, if DNR, or whoever patrols it, ever caught me, I'd be in a world of hurtin'. I've seen some stuff they've cut down that would be fantastic turning stock...but again, I refrain...

Robert Henrickson
01-24-2013, 8:48 PM

Friends from my Maryland days live just across the road from the Antietam battlefield. My wife and I would help them set out one small area of the 20,000 luminaria for the annual commemoration of the battle.

Mike Cruz
01-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Robert, my wife and I have wanted to go see them for years. But the traffic and lines (cars) to go do it make it SO not worth it for me. I moved out this way because I don't like to be in bumper to bumper traffic. I grew up in MD, closer down to DC. I HATE going back down that way. So, when it comes up here, I avoid it like the plague. But I hear it is beautiful and breath taking...

Robert Henrickson
01-25-2013, 9:19 AM
They and we became volunteers after not getting in one year, in the mid-1990s. They became team leaders. Volunteers get to got through first, at the front of the line. It is spectacular and moving -- 20,000 candles glowing in the dark, over acres and acres. Gives you a better idea just how large a number 20,000 casualties is. One year there were several inches of snow on the ground -- that really enhanced the candles. In my Maryland days, I lived in Takoma Park.

Mike Cruz
01-25-2013, 9:43 AM
I grew up in Montgomery County...other side...near Howard County.