PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly question for Bill Crofutt

Gary
05-07-2003, 1:31 AM
Bill...

I considered e-mailing this question, but I thought that it might be of interest to many here. My question relates to major machines, not small power tools, etc.

First, I believe that Grizzly has made a serious effort and great progress at upgrading their equipment offerings from 'run of the mill', generic imported stuff to some really good machinery for a very good price. I have some and like it.

However, something that I have seen as a complaint in quite a few posts over a period of time, is someone having a machine that is 8-12 years old, and being told that it is no longer in production, and so parts are not available.

If a machine is advertised as having a 'long' usefull life (20 years or more, especially in a hobbiests setting?) then shouldn't those machines be supported for a like period of time? Otherwise, the claim is meaningless, as a machine's long life can be cut short because of the lack of one proprietary part.

Anyway, as I contemplate the purchase of several new machines, I am wondering what Grizzly's current and future policy is regarding long term parts support. I intend to spend the money to get good tools that I will keep for a long time, and as this is a question I have not seen addressed to Grizzly before, I thought I'd ask for myself and probably many other interested woodworkers.

I appreciate your participation on this forum and elsewhere.

Regards.......

gary

Ken Salisbury
05-07-2003, 9:36 AM
Originally posted by Gary
Bill...
However, something that I have seen as a complaint in quite a few posts over a period of time, is someone having a machine that is 8-12 years old, and being told that it is no longer in production, and so parts are not available.
gary

I am sure Bill will answer your inquiry. However, I have had the opposite experience. My 24" Grizzly Drum Sander is more than 10 years old. Bill helped to identify a problem I was having with it. I ordered the suggested new part which arrived shortly after.

Bill Crofutt
05-07-2003, 4:07 PM
I am new to this forum, and have not seen the posts. Perhaps someone can point me to them, and I can comment concerning that particular machine.
We have parts on hand for 20-year-old machines and there are very few machines we have sold that parts are no longer available for. We have over 1,000,000 parts in stock and statistics show over 95% of our orders shipped same day. Most of the factories we deal with are exclusive to Grizzly or have been in business for a long time. The likely hood of them being in business long term is very good. But in all honesty, there have been factory closures making it impossible to get parts. One example is a bandsaw factory that went bankrupt over 10 years ago. Our solution in this case is we now make some of those parts ourselves, at a cost of probably 3 or 4 times what we sell them for. Believe me, we are in it for the long haul.
This is starting to sound a bit like an advertisement, but my intent here is to answer the question. Our future policy is the same as today’s, we will support the customer…period. There has not been, nor will there be, a machine we stop supporting by choice. In other words, as long as we have a source for the parts, we will make them available to our customers.

Tom Sweeney
05-07-2003, 4:35 PM
I have a '96 Ford Explorer that needs a minor part - minor except it is leaking anti freeze. It is a vacuum operated heater control switch. I went to my local Ford dealer & was told they no longer manufacture the part - 1996 & they no longer make the part.
the kid behind the parts counter told me a few weeks ago he needed a part for a 2001 & they were no longer in production - I was certain that it was mandated that they had to keep the parts in stiock for 8 years or something :confused:

I have a 1966 Mustang that I can order any part I need for (mostly aftermarket or NOS) but a 1996 Explorer I can't get a $25 part for - to stop it from leaking anti freeze :mad:

Joe Tonich
05-07-2003, 7:27 PM
Originally posted by Tom Sweeney

I have a 1966 Mustang that I can order any part I need

OOOOOHHH! That was sneaky!:) Pony seats??

Joe - green W/envy!

Tom Sweeney
05-07-2003, 9:06 PM
>>>>>>>OOOOOHHH! That was sneaky! Pony seats??

Joe - green W/envy!<<<

If you must know ;)
original #'s matching 66 GT 225 HP 289 4bbl - disk brakes - pony int. - fact. air - dual exhaust with original trumpets & GT fog lights- only a 3 sp though :D
supposed to be springtime yellow w/ black GT stripes :cool:

Now for the bad part - it's really blue & rust & needs a complete - I mean complete resto. It's not a basket case & it's mostly surface rust (really bad surface rust) - though I pulled the motor & trans out - but it hasn't moved under its own power in about 20 years :( I've either had time but no money or money but no time or recently no money & no time. But man was it fun when I was 20 :D

At this point I figure it's my retirement project - unless I hit the lottery or something.

Joe_Ott
05-07-2003, 9:21 PM
I'm a fan of the green machines. I have a 1023SL which has been very good to me. I've mentioned this in the past at the Pond, but my father has a Unisaw and my brother a PM66. I wouldn't trade for either. It's just as bit as good. Lots of power. It came from Grizzly straight and true. Passed the nickel test with flying colors. My wife thinks it's strange that I wax it... :)

I have a Delta 6" jointer that is a piece of junk - quality wise. I have spent more time with my (@#$%@) jointer trying to make it right than the Grizzly cabinet saw. A lot of it comes down to luck with any massed produced item made by humans as well as the QC systems in place by that manufacurer.

Gary, as far as parts and Grizzly ar concerned, I wouldn't hesitate to take a good look at their products. Don't kid yourself, Delta, Jet you name it, do you think getting a part for a Jet jointer 10 years from now would be any different than getting a part for a Grizzly? Who knows, but probably not I would guess.

I would be very very interested to hear from Bill Crofutt as far as the QC systems in place at the various Grizzly plants. What systems and so on. How are machines tested? How many are checked in each run and so on? Is all the manufacturing outsourced, or are the manufacturing facilities Grizzly owned? I'm familiar with the systems and procedures used in the Automotive supply chain - I'm currious how Bill's industry compares. Bill?

Sorry I got wordy here...

Joe
BTW - I'm not a Grizzly Loyalist - I've just been satisfied with the products and serviced I've received so far. I do however buy based on reviews I read, past experience and cost - not just the color. My shop is a rainbow of colors.... :)

Phil Phelps
05-07-2003, 9:23 PM
Maybe I'm dreamin', but I thought there was a federal law that stated a company had to supply parts, for a product, for ten years after it stops procuction. Of course there is bankruptcy and such. I guess I am dreamin'. :confused:

Gary
05-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Bill...

Thank you for your response to my question. I did not mean to imply that there are FREQUENT posts regarding problems with parts availability, or that the posts were on this forum, which is quite new. There have been a few over perhaps the last two years or so, the most recent one I recall regarded a jointer.

I just wanted to hear Grizzly's policy stated; I had read in your catalog that you stocked a great many parts, but not an expression of your general policy to support some/all ? machines as fully as possible, even when models are discontinued.

This is a great concern to anyone who buys fairly expensive machinery for either hobby or pro use, as almost everyone has had some sort of frustration with a 'good' product that becomes virtually useless without support. When buying woodworking machinery, I for one would rather spend MORE money IF necessary for something that will not be considered 'disposable'. :)

Anyway, thanks for putting Grizzly's position into words.

gary