PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Trip What Attractions To See?

richard poitras
01-23-2013, 9:23 PM
I am going to San Diego in a few weeks and am taking a wood working class at the American School of French Marquetry. The class is Monday thru Friday. But I will be there an extra 2 ½ days to spend on sightseeing. Are there any woodworking attractions in the area that one would recommend? And or other attractions that people have been to that are must see in the area.

Thanks Richard

Gary Herrmann
01-23-2013, 9:59 PM
We went there on vaca a few years ago. Keep in mind, our then 8 year old went with us. Regardless, it was a great trip.

Navy pier is good - old and new warships. The carrier tour is fun. If you're much more than 5'8", you'll be ducking a lot. I'm 6'7", and I saw two guys shorter than me about knock themselves out.

SeaWorld was fun.

The San Diego zoo is by far the best zoo I've ever been to (and I'm a zoo geek). It's huge. If you like animals, walking and plant life, you could spend two days there easily.

If you're an old movie buff, swing by the Del Coronado. Also known as the Del. We like old movies, and SWMBO talked me into staying there. Some Like it Hot was filmed there, along with others. Built in the late 1800s. Great architecture, beautiful grounds, and their restaurants are excellent.

You may see SEALs running the beach.

The spots I've mentioned are all no more than an hour apart at the absolute longest, as I recall.

Rich Riddle
01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Tijuana, Mexico

lowell holmes
01-23-2013, 10:47 PM
I think the Marston House is a must see. It is a Craftsman style house with Craftsman furnishings. It was supposed to be a Victorian and was changed during construction to a Craftsman. There is a web site that will tell you more about it.

There is a museum (I don't remember the name) that had Maloof and Nakashima pieces in it.

Charlie Watson
01-23-2013, 11:51 PM
I live is San Diego. Things to do:

- San Diego Zoo
- Seaworld
- Legoland (if you have younger kids)
- San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Tour the Midway
- Sunday brunch at the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado (1800's era giant hotel on a pretty cool beach)
- Dinner at the Gas Lamp district, lots of good restaurants to choose from
- Have lunch at Georges upstairs grill in La Jolla on a sunny afternoon, right on the ocean. Be sure to go to the upstairs grill, Get there early to get a table overlooking the water
- Go to old town and check out the Mexican restaurants - Old Town Mexican Cafe is good as are several others (check yelp to see whos getting good reviews there)
- Take a tour of San Diego Bay on one of the tour boats
- Take a bike ride around Mission Bay

Hope that helps!

ps: Go to Tijuana at your own risk. Mexico is not a very friendly place these days. I won't go near it now and I've lived here for 25 years.

Michael Koga
01-24-2013, 1:30 AM
Went whale watching today. Whales are migrating south, saw 3 gray whales and over 100 dolphins. Entertaining 3 hours on the water if that's your interest, plus you cruise the outer half of SD bay.
Water taxi ride across the bay to Coronado Island.
Balboa park has some nice museums.
TEmps have been running in the 60's, dropping to 40-50s at night. It's been a wet year for a change, in fact forecast is rain for the next 3 or so days.

TJ....I avoid it like the plague, I even have some Mexican friends who would NOT go down there. Not safe anymore. If you do go, don't forget a passport or birth certificate.

Brian Kent
01-24-2013, 1:36 AM
They are building a full size working copy of Cabrillo's San Salvadore ship at the Spanish Landing across from Lindberg Field. I think it is $5 to get in and touch the ship, watch the workers.

Larry Fox
01-24-2013, 8:11 AM
http://sandiego.about.com/od/diningandnightlife/tp/sd_brews.htm If you are into that sort of thing.

Joe Angrisani
01-24-2013, 8:33 AM
One of the best Italian restaurants I've ever been to is Osteria Romantica in La Jolla. Moderately priced and very casual...the food is A+++. Means "Romantic Restaurant" in Italian.

http://www.osteriaromantica.com/

Mike Heidrick
01-24-2013, 10:02 AM
They are building a full size working copy of Cabrillo's San Salvadore ship at the Spanish Landing across from Lindberg Field. I think it is $5 to get in and touch the ship, watch the workers.

It was $10 and includes access to the maritime museum. Stayed down the street from it last month. If it is raining they do not let you get close so dont bother.

Erik Christensen
01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
other cool stuff in this town:

torrey pines state park - on the beach north of La Jolla - great hiking trails and unbelievable views
palomar observatory - top of palomar mtn - nice scenic drive & if go via Santa Ysabel stop in Dudley's bakery - huge commercial bakery with great stuff in the middle of nowhere
Julian - SoCal version of a new england town - kinda touristy but fun to wander around - same general area as Palomar
Beer - if you like it this is the best place in country for micro-brews - more beer medals won by San Diego county brewers than any STATE in the US
mexican food - choices are endless but my favorite is in Ocean Beach - Ortega's - owners are from area south of mexico city that had a lot of French immigrants after WWI - trained in a european cooking school there - infusion of french & mexican cooking is unique
beaches - a bit cold to swim but winter here is 60 so great for a stroll
Cabrillo's monument - easy drive to the end of Point Loma that has wonderfull views of the harbor
Balboa Park - 1,200 acres near downtown - many buildings built for the 1915–16 Panama–California Exposition - only to last 2 years - almost 100 years later still going strong (they built things differently back then)

and finally, unless you have a death wish, stay out of TJ - as an anglo you might as well be wearing a "rob me" sign - cops are no help - they are even more dangerous than the muggers

David Helm
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Was just there a couple of weeks ago. +1 on the Marston house. Also go to the Mingei Museum in Balboa Park. Aside from the truly astonishing pottery, there is a very good display of George Nakashima furniture, including benches they let you sit on. This is a must see for any woodworker.

Art Mulder
01-24-2013, 2:46 PM
The carrier tour is fun. If you're much more than 5'8", you'll be ducking a lot. I'm 6'7", and I saw two guys shorter than me about knock themselves out.
The San Diego zoo is by far the best zoo I've ever been to (and I'm a zoo geek). It's huge. If you like animals, walking and plant life, you could spend two days there easily.

+1 on the Zoo. Very nice zoo. I really enjoyed it. Apparently some of it was inspiration for Dr Seuss ??

+3 on the USS Midway Carrier tour. I spent 2-3 hours on it and could have spent longer. I'm just 6'3" so I didn't have to duck as much as Gary. :rolleyes: Fascinating fascinating fascinating. A lot of it was a go-at-your-own-pace tour, where you can listen to the headphones at different stations to hear explanations, and then you join up with a group for some of the guided sections of the tour.

Quite by accident I stopped for a lunch at a small BBQ joint not too far from the Midway, and was eating and wondering about all these Tom Cruise photos all over the place. Then I noticed the sign that said that it was the "sleazy bar" location from the movie Top Gun. :p

have fun
...art

glenn bradley
01-24-2013, 3:13 PM
If you like zoos, San Diego is at the top of the heap. Sea World, Wild Animal Park and other touristy attractions are plentiful. Balboa Park is great if you like a less expensive more cultural experience. +1 on "no-way go-to T-J".

Bruce Pratt
01-24-2013, 5:07 PM
Tropical Exotic Hardwoods of Latin America http://www.anexotichardwood.com/index.html in Carlsbad.
No afilliation, just like the place.

Bob Coleman
01-24-2013, 9:54 PM
the "sleazy bar" location from the movie Top Gun.

Unfortunately I heard the Kansas City BBQ burned down a while back.

+1 on Balboa Park and museums.
There are fireworks at Seaworld at dark I think on Saturday nights. You can see them from most anywhere near Mission Bay.
There is a very old wooden roller coaster on the beach in Mission Beach.
People watching from Ocean Beach to Pacific Beach

More food (of the cheaper, lunch kind):

World Famous on the beach in Pacific Beach (South of La Jolla, North of Downtown) has a cheap (but awesome) lobster taco night, I think Tuesday's.
Hodad's in Ocean Beach (south of Mission Bay, north of Downtown) has great hamburgers and milkshakes. If you go on Sunday afternoon they will be out of everything.
Rocky's Crown Pub (Corner of La Playa and Ingraham in Pacific Beach) - best burgers ON THE PLANET. The menu consists of burgers (1/3lb & 1/2lb), fries, beer and coke. The owner is a bit of a jerk (he's curt with people who ask for special orders and generally has no patience, but the burgers are so good the place is always packed)

richard poitras
01-24-2013, 9:57 PM
Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like there is a lot of great things to do. The only problem is in looking at all the offerings I defiantly will not have enough time. :)

Greg Portland
01-25-2013, 12:26 PM
I've been to the zoo there and it was on par with other good zoos. Back when it was created I can understand the uniqueness because it pioneered the concept of a cage-less zoo. Most modern zoos are now similar to the SD zoo in terms of how the animal enclosures are designed. The SD zoo has pandas (rare) and a lot of very rare plants if you're into that sort of thing. As a separate admission, you can go to the SD zoo safari park which is more unique.

If you are single, I'd recommend Pacific Beach for the "sights" (not sure how busy it is during Feb though).

Lee Schierer
01-25-2013, 9:21 PM
Go see the Coronado Hotel. It used to be the largest wooden frame structure. It is a beautiful hotel and worth at leas a walk through.