PDA

View Full Version : 5 gal. pail of denatured alcohol

Anthony Diodati
01-23-2013, 9:16 PM
Thinking about trying the DNA for drying rough turned bowls, read that Sunnyside DNA from Do It Best Hardware is a good DNA, as it has a high ethanol content.
Where are you guys buying yours?
Looks like I can get it at the Do It Now site, for $58.99 & tax, with free shipping to store.
http://www.doitbest.com/Main.aspx?pageid=64&SKU=798479
Do you think this is the best?
Also what is the affect of higher ethanol content when used to mix shellac, or to thin store brought shellac, does it flash off quicker?

Thanks, Tony

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2013, 9:59 PM
I get mine from Do It Best. It is pretty good but the best I have found for shellac which I do mix my own is from Shellac.net. I have stopped using the DNA bath on bowls, etc. I now coat them with anchorseal and let them dry. DNA just got to expensive for me.

Eric Gourieux
01-24-2013, 12:24 AM
I recently purchased 5 gal from a Benjamin Moore paint store for around $40

Dan Hintz
01-24-2013, 6:39 AM

If you have one local, I suggest this method...

Anthony Diodati
01-24-2013, 6:47 AM
I get mine from Do It Best. It is pretty good but the best I have found for shellac which I do mix my own is from Shellac.net. I have stopped using the DNA bath on bowls, etc. I now coat them with anchorseal and let them dry. DNA just got to expensive for me.
OK, I will see if we have a Benjamin Moore in the Area. Do you guys know the brand they sell at Benjamin Moore?
Bernie, what is the brand Shellac.net is selling, and what is the cost.

J.D.Redwine
01-24-2013, 7:46 AM

Where is this store?

Eric Gourieux
01-24-2013, 8:49 AM
Where is this store?

I sent you a PM

Paul Gilbert
01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
What you would really like to have is alcohol that was denatured according to formula 3-C. You can google 27 CFR 21.37 for the complete details. This can be made with either absolute ethanol (200 proof) or the 190 proof version which is cheaper. For drying wood, the 190 proof is the best choice because one use and it will be less than 190 proof. For shellac the 200 proof will dissolve the flakes a bit faster, but the solvent will flash faster (dries quicker) than the 190 proof.

Check the yellow pages in your area and look for industrial chemical distributors or Industrial solvents. You could probably buy a 55 gal. drum for about what you will pay for two five gallon pails at a paint store. If the industrial distributors in your area don't carry formula 3-C ask what they do carry. I would not use "completely denatured alcohol" which is formulas 18, 19, or 20 because they contain gasoline or kerosene. You can look up the formula at 27 CFR 21.

Morey St. Denis
01-24-2013, 8:59 PM
Paul is correct. The specification you should look for in DNA is known as SDA formula 3-C. The acronym SDA designates Specially Denatured Alcohol, 3-C means it is denatured with Isopropynol as opposed to the more toxic hardware store grades using Methanol. Methanol vapors are poisonous in even modest concentrations and readily absorbed through either inhalation or skin contact. Isopropynol is the alcohol used in medicine cabinet "rubbing alcohol" and not nearly so toxic in low concentration as any of the alternative denaturing agents.

I've had my eye on some Anhydrous (fully 200 proof) Ethanol SDA formula 3-C priced at under $5.50 the gallon; only problem is it's packaged by the 55 gallon drum and apparently located in Clover, S.C. which is very near Charlotte, North Caroina. Great buy for anyone in that area willing to set it in the back of their truck and potentially repackage into smaller 5 or 10 gallon lots for resale to the many interested woodturners here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230670277793?

Mel Fulks
01-24-2013, 9:16 PM
Reselling that alcohol would most likely get someone in legal trouble. Lousey quality alcohol is one of the ways the gov is fighting terrorists. And strong grain alcohol for drinking is getting harder to get for the same reason.

Morey St. Denis
01-24-2013, 9:37 PM
You misunderstand, Mel. We are not talking about "grain alcohol" for drinking purposes, this formula is still classified as toxic for ingestion. It is an important industrial use chemical that has been denatured with 5% isopropyl alcohol, and as such is fully compliant for resale. Denatured generally means it should not be ingested nor can it be made potable or easily separated by redistillation. You should go back and reread some of the useful government regulation as recommended by Paul under those search terms: alcohol 27 CFR 21. Grain alcohol or "moonshine" is far too costly for hobby use due to liquor taxation.

Scott Hackler
01-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Last 5 gallon pail I bought was about $46. I buy mine at Sherwin Williams. This is a painters supply store.

Mel Fulks
01-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Morey,we may be mutually misunderstanding .I was referring to its flammable nature etc. Regulations have been tightened up a lot since September 11.Drinkable grain is harder to get for the same reason gasoline is not sold in glass bottles in the grocery store.Denatured alcohol commonly available is of lower quality as mentioned by a number of members here and does not dissolve shellac flakes well. Im sure you know a lot more about chemistry and coatings than I.
I was only talking about regulation.