PDA

View Full Version : Shop Light Question

Noah Barfield
01-23-2013, 8:04 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me locate a light for my lathe? I'm looking for a wall mounted, multi-light led type of thing to better illuminate the work piece. I've checked a few home improvement center websites, but most of their mult-light fixtures are for vanity lighting / bathrooms.

Any suggestions?

Noah

Greg Ketell
01-23-2013, 8:21 PM
I'm thinking of buying flexible track lights and then adding LED bulbs. eBay has a bunch for $20 per head (about 1/3 normal).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Juno-Flexible-Track-Light-heads-TracMaster-Excellent-Condition-39-AVAILABLE-/261006721869?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D5089680509893130493%26pid%3 D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D261006721869% 26

Noah Barfield
01-23-2013, 9:03 PM
Something like that would be pretty cool!

Harry Robinette
01-23-2013, 9:22 PM
I have a 4ft florescent over the lathe for just general light. I use a Moffett light and a Juno from Ikea. But for checking sanding and finish on the lathe I have a track light with 3 halogen lights,it's only used a minute or 2 max then it's turned off so my eyes don't get use to it. Lots of light when you need it but don't get use to it or you wont see what your looking for. Our eyes get use to light very quickly.
Noah try IKEA they have a bunch of different lights.

Jon McElwain
01-23-2013, 9:47 PM
I've got a pair of Moffitt lights. I generally have one over the top of a bowl and one facing the piece from the tailstock end. I've got them mounted on a light stand so that they can be easily and quickly moved to any position over the work. The Moffitts have standard fixtures, but you could use an LED spot or flood light in the fixture. The Moffitt's have different mounting options, a quick connect, a clamp, a screw down, and a magnet (I think). Sometimes I have most of the lights off in the shop except for the Moffitts. Pricey though, those Juno's look like a good option at a lower price point.

Reed Gray
01-23-2013, 9:52 PM
Moffitt lamps are good as you can bend them into any position (do keep out of the line of fire).

This is my favorite for sanding and turning. Their other light bulbs are great as well, mostly the spectrum and you can see every tiny little detail.

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/white_floor_lamp_194_prd1.htm?gclid=CLzEy_39_7QCFY F7QgodGjEA4Q

robo hippy

Ralph Lindberg
01-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Noah, there is a single lamp LED lamp that Ikea carries (or at least did). They are fairly inexpensive, we bought a couple, Ellen's is working fine, mine has failed (wire fault).
They are much cheaper then the Moffitt (that's the one that Eric brought with him for his last demo)

Mike Cruz
01-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Greg, I just looked at those lights. Looks like the $20 is for one light. Does not include the track and some other part you will/may need...

robert baccus
01-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Crude but effective--mount a 2x2x8' down from the ceiling and buy several hooded clamp on light and add the bulbs of your choice. I like the 100 watt reveal frosted floods or cooler is the 100 watt spiral bulbs. A friend improved on this by mounting his wooden bar on a hinge mounted on the wall for even more adjustment. Inexpensive and very flexible.

Greg Ketell
01-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Crude but effective--mount a 2x2x8' down from the ceiling and buy several hooded clamp on light and add the bulbs of your choice. I like the 100 watt reveal frosted floods or cooler is the 100 watt spiral bulbs. A friend improved on this by mounting his wooden bar on a hinge mounted on the wall for even more adjustment. Inexpensive and very flexible.

that is a good idea. I would still like a couple of flex lights for specific aiming. Hmmmmm more thoughts

Noah Barfield
01-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Good ideas everyone! A Moffet light would probably do the trick. I currently have a flexible Ikea led light. Like Ralph's, mine's having wiring issues. I also have a Harbor Freight magnetic base shop light mounted on the metal door of the electrical panel next to my lathe. However, I'm having a hard time getting the light exactly where I want it.

Ralph Lindberg
01-24-2013, 12:19 AM
Noah, we won... three/ four (?) of the HF mag lights and the arm is simply too short. I sometimes have to put mine on the tail-stock, on a chuck on the back of the lathe, on.....

Greg Ketell
01-24-2013, 11:36 AM
Very true, Mike. Comparing that to the dewalt and rockler clamp on lights at $47 or the moffat light at $57 +mounting option.... They are quite the steal. And the same guy has 4' track for $15. So a 4', 3-light setup would be $75, less than the cost of any two-light other options.

Greg, I just looked at those lights. Looks like the $20 is for one light. Does not include the track and some other part you will/may need...

Justin Stephen
01-24-2013, 12:31 PM
FWIW, I have had one of these cheap floor lamps from Ikea for well over a year now that I use to bolster other lights around my lathe and it has worked reasonably well and has been reliable:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20110903/

You can't beat the price and the upper 12-15" of the lamp is flex. Now that I am upgrading to a lathe with a sliding headstock, it will probably be even more useful. However, it would seem that the ideal solution would be hanging a mounting board (like Robert) said from above the lathe and attaching multiple flexible lights to that, perhaps bolstered with a Moffet mounted elsewhere. I own a Moffet with a magnetic base but I rarely use it just because there isn't any real great and stable place to stick it on a Delta 46-460.

Mike Cruz
01-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah, that does sound like a good deal, Greg. I didn't see anywhere how much he wanted for the tracks. I suppose I could have dug a little deeper...

Sad part is that all of this stuff is probably made in China...certainly the less expensive stuff.

Noah Barfield
01-24-2013, 12:51 PM
FWIW, I have had one of these cheap floor lamps from Ikea for well over a year now that I use to bolster other lights around my lathe and it has worked reasonably well and has been reliable:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20110903/

You can't beat the price and the upper 12-15" of the lamp is flex. Now that I am upgrading to a lathe with a sliding headstock, it will probably be even more useful. However, it would seem that the ideal solution would be hanging a mounting board (like Robert) said from above the lathe and attaching multiple flexible lights to that, perhaps bolstered with a Moffet mounted elsewhere. I own a Moffet with a magnetic base but I rarely use it just because there isn't any real great and stable place to stick it on a Delta 46-460.

I currently have this lamp from IKEA http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90214214/

What I love about it is that it's flexible, has an LED bulb (thus heat's not an issue), and is small enough that I can literally stick the head of the light inside a bowl on my lathe. However, the switch doesn't respond well to all of the dust / sawdust and the base is difficult to move once I have a pile of shavings building up around the lathe.

I like the idea of a mounting board, but would want a way to wire all of the lights together so that they're taking up only one spot on my outlet. A bunch of lights in a row like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/ mounted on a board would be cool.

Noah Barfield
01-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Yeah, that does sound like a good deal, Greg. I didn't see anywhere how much he wanted for the tracks. I suppose I could have dug a little deeper...

Sad part is that all of this stuff is probably made in China...certainly the less expensive stuff.

I sent him an e-mail asking about all of the parts one would need to put this together. I'll let you know if he gets back to me. It looks like it would still have to be wired together and you would still need to buy the bulbs.

Noah Barfield
01-24-2013, 1:14 PM
This might be an option....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20230825/

Mike Cruz
01-24-2013, 1:17 PM
These seem like "the deal".

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80169636/

You could take the lamp that Noah just posted, and clip a bunch of these on it...

Mike Cruz
01-24-2013, 1:20 PM
Those look a little...big, to me. Plus, I think you would still need to buy the LED bulbs...I don't think those are LEDs.

Mike Cruz
01-24-2013, 1:27 PM
Noah, the lights in the second link have promise, too. I could imagine a back board that is, say, 36" long x 5" (the width of the base). Then, two strips of wood with spacers (the height of the base, plus maybe an 1/8") on the ends. The flexible lamp neck would fit between the two strips. You could probably put 4 lamps in there, and slide them back and forth along the wooden "frame". On the back of the wood frame, mount a dougle gang box for all four lamps to plug into. From the double gang box, run to a switch, and from there, run to an outlet. Now, where to mount the switch(es)...

Thom Sturgill
01-24-2013, 1:46 PM
These are a bit spendy, but do provide good light

Several people are carrying them now for prices everywhere from $49 to $69. Much brighter than the ikea or the rockler lamp with the magnifing lens.

John RStegall
01-24-2013, 1:46 PM
I just saw a light set-up in either AAW magazine, or Woodturning Design at Woodcraft in San Antonio. The designer had used PVC. He mounted a 1" diameter section to the wall (vertically), then put a 90 degree elbow with the end sitting on the wall mount unglued. He brought another section from this to reach above his lathe, added a second elbow and then used a clip-on light. The clip was removed so that he could screw it to the elbow. The horizontal pipe is glued into both elbows. The reason not to glue to the wall mounted pipe is so it can be swung back and forth.

I plan on doing this as sometimes I need to shine a light onto the tail stock so I can see my center. Not sure it would help you but thought I would post it in case it benefits someone.

Noah Barfield
01-24-2013, 2:01 PM
These are a bit spendy, but do provide good light

Several people are carrying them now for prices everywhere from $49 to $69. Much brighter than the ikea or the rockler lamp with the magnifing lens.

I saw these at Craft Supply. They look nice but are spendy (slightly more than a Moffet lamp). One of these would be awfully easy to mount, though.

Noah Barfield
01-24-2013, 2:02 PM
I just saw a light set-up in either AAW magazine, or Woodturning Design at Woodcraft in San Antonio. The designer had used PVC. He mounted a 1" diameter section to the wall (vertically), then put a 90 degree elbow with the end sitting on the wall mount unglued. He brought another section from this to reach above his lathe, added a second elbow and then used a clip-on light. The clip was removed so that he could screw it to the elbow. The horizontal pipe is glued into both elbows. The reason not to glue to the wall mounted pipe is so it can be swung back and forth.

I plan on doing this as sometimes I need to shine a light onto the tail stock so I can see my center. Not sure it would help you but thought I would post it in case it benefits someone.

I really like the flexibility of this approach!

Justin Stephen
01-24-2013, 5:49 PM
However, the switch doesn't respond well to all of the dust / sawdust and the base is difficult to move once I have a pile of shavings building up around the lathe.

Same deal with the base of the lamp I posted. The switch is up off the floor though so that has been a non-issue. I'd prefer it if the switch was just on the head of the lamp but I guess you cannot have everything on a $15 lamp. :)

I like the idea of a mounting board, but would want a way to wire all of the lights together so that they're taking up only one spot on my outlet. A bunch of lights in a row like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/ mounted on a board would be cool.

I'd just bolt a cheap power strip to the board and run all the lights to that and probably just use the on/off on the power strip to turn all the lights on and off at once as needed.

robert baccus
01-24-2013, 10:38 PM
The power strip and heavy yard octopus is the way as you say. Wind the extra cord around the wood rod for storage and flexibility yeah.

Greg Ketell
01-25-2013, 12:58 AM
I sent him an e-mail asking about all of the parts one would need to put this together. I'll let you know if he gets back to me. It looks like it would still have to be wired together and you would still need to buy the bulbs.

I called him this morning. Someone bought ALL the flex lights. He made me a deal on the adjustable spots and tracks but the shipping from Florida to California killed it for me. (I was getting 3 4-foot tracks and 10 lights and the shipping was over $100).

Still hunting. But the PVC adjustable arm may be added to the final build plan.

Greg Ketell
01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
It turns out that the garage door track had a piece of angle attached as a "stiffener". I mounted a 4' track-light rail to that using two 1" PVC couplers as spacers. The kit from Lowe's came with 3 GU11 Halogen mini-spots. I added the white flex spot from another set of lights I had. It has a GU11 5w LED bulb that is far brighter than the Halogen bulbs.

Then on the tailstock is a Rockler magnetic lamp with a costco PAR30 75w LED spot light.

Lastly, there is a Rockler 7-LED flex light clamped to the cage. This is almost useless.

Ok, this is the setup with everything off, just a little natural daylight coming through the windows in the garage door.

This is with just the Rockler mag-base lamp turned on.

This is with just the track light turned on.

This is with both turned on.

NOW I'll be able to really see what I'm turning when I get to turn again.

Mike Cruz
01-31-2013, 4:48 PM
Now, what magnatude of shades do you have to wear to be able to see with all that brightness??!! :D Looking good, Greg.

Josh Bowman
01-31-2013, 5:18 PM
I'm getting where I have to have lots of light to see. I really like the Moffett type lights (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=8901195&PMAKA=510-0717), they are tough and put our good light. I mounted mine to the lathes duplicating rail. They often come with several mounts, such as a stud, magnet etc. I also scored a dental light from my dentist.

Michael Stafford
01-31-2013, 7:14 PM
Oneway now sells light mounting bars for the Moffatt lamps specific to the model of the lathe. Their mounting bars allow for two Moffatts to be mounted and positioned in an infinitely variable number of positions. Quite pricey but in my opinion the system is as good as it gets.

Here is the link to their site. When I ordered mine they built it specific to fit the lathe I turn on.

http://www.oneway.ca/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=15&Itemid=2