View Full Version : frozen

phil harold
01-23-2013, 7:43 PM
How long before I need to anchorseal some frozen logs

Can I wait a little while, 2 weeks, till I process them into blanks?

It is going to be -7 F tonite

Fred Belknap
01-23-2013, 8:37 PM
Just guessing but I doubt it would do much good to Anchorseal them while they are frozen. I don''t think it would hurt them but I would wait till they are thawed out then seal them, more comfortable that way. If it will be a long time I would cover them with a tarp or plastic. It wouldn't hurt to cover them with snow.

Jon McElwain
01-23-2013, 9:56 PM
The colder weather generally brings very low humidity. Low humidity is going to draw moisture out of the wood quickly. Now, I understand that the logs are frozen, but I would not underestimate sublimation - that is, solid ice going directly to a vapor. Usually we think of water going from its solid state (ice) to a liquid, then from liquid to vapor. But if you have ever pulled out an ice tray and noticed that the ice cubes seem a little smaller than they did a few days or a week before, you have witnessed sublimation. I have lost some good wood thinking that the freezing temperatures would keep my wood from drying out. But sublimation will pull moisture from the wood even when it is frozen.

I don't know what the temperature range is for anchorseal, but if you have a garage that you could warm up the wood for a couple of days, or at least keep your anchorseal warm while applying it outdoors, it might save some of your wood.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2013, 10:07 PM
I would process them as soon as possible. If you could take the logs into a garage then anchorseal them I think you could wait. If you can't and the logs have some length to them in a couple of weeks you could saw a couple of inches off the end to good wood and then process.

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Had some green wood, fresh cut a week or so ago, sitting in my garage. Temps here lately have not gotten above zero and the wood is checking just like it would on a summer day. If you can't use anchorseal - I would put some plastic grocery bags around the ends to help seal the wood until such time as you can coat it.