PDA

View Full Version : New floor in the shop and storage cabinet

Ole Anderson
01-23-2013, 7:10 PM
My old concrete floor has seen a lot of abuse in the last 35 years so I decided to do something about it by extending my basement rec room floor into the shop. And I finally finished the shop cabinet I have been working on for a year. It now sits just outside my too-full shop in the rec room on my brand new, just-installed floor. I installed 850 sf of Pergo from HD. About $2.00 /sf including the foam underlayment. And I did the shop, what a difference. A bit slippery with sawdust on top, but very manageable. Also installed 150 lf of Oak base. I was able to get rid of an ugly blue plywood shelf that I got from the office probably 30 years ago. Nearly everything fit. One plus to the floor is that if the tool doesn't have wheels, I just put a sticky felt chair cushion on the bottom of the leg and I can just slide it around easily. I did this with my workbench, 6" belt sander, router table, file cabinet, wood storage under-counter shelves and the front legs of my jointer and chop saw (rear legs have wheels). And I made a simple stand for my drill press, just by taking a piece of 1-1/8" PB, doing a roundover, and adding 4 sticky felt pads, using 3 heavy wood screws to secure the DP to the base. As simple as can be. All is well.

Lou Stags
01-23-2013, 7:55 PM
Perfect timing Ole! I was wondering about your floor and if you had finished it yet. Looks great!!! What is that foam underlayment that you used? How much "softer" does your shop floor feel compared to the old concrete only floor?

Chris Studley
01-23-2013, 8:15 PM
Flooring is nice, probably easier on you feet and back.

I love the cabinet though... very nice.

Ole Anderson
01-23-2013, 8:43 PM
Concrete floors never really bother me these days as I don't stand in one place much. I have two anti-fatigue mats I bought 20 years ago when I was doing some production work in the shop. The foam is Robert's Two Way (foam and vapor barrier), from HD, about 25 cents per sf. They make a Three Way that has little bumps added supposedly for air circulation, but it is a lot more expensive.