PDA

View Full Version : Can I successfully engrave copper with cermark?

Tracey Bakewell
01-23-2013, 5:25 PM
I have successfully done brass, stainless, aluminum, sterling types of metal, how about copper anyone???

I did a quick search but never found something that says specifically copper.

Thanks!
Tracey

vic casware
01-23-2013, 6:15 PM
Iv never tried Copper myself
But the Ferro website says It can be done.
I would assume very similar to Brass Slow and Powerful

David Rust
01-23-2013, 6:46 PM
Test on some old copper pennies... (prior to 1982 I think was mostly copper)

Dan Hintz
01-23-2013, 6:53 PM
Yes, but...

Copper has a much higher thermal conductivity than most metals. Around 4 times that of brass, twice that of aluminum. If you've been successful with those, you have a good start on copper, but you'll need to cook it longer for the same thickness. That said, you may not be happy with its staying power under any sort of abrasion (depends upon the alloy your marking).

Tracey Bakewell
01-23-2013, 8:02 PM
OK! Well, that's a good start! I will post my results. Just waiting on the copper to arrive. I have done plenty weird metal cermark jobs, just never copper. I will go full power and super slow!

Rodne Gold
01-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Just be aware that copper tarnishes badly , and albeit the marking compounds are quite resistant to abraision , long term use of household stuff like brasso will damage em. As dan said , the thermal conductivity is high , when we tried on a small piece of 0.8mm copper sheet , the amount of heat we had to use actually made the copper deform where it was engraved , seen plainly from the back..we also had very limited success with bigger pieces cos of the heatsink effect , we couldn't get the mark to stick , running our 30w at real slow slow speeds seemed to rather "cook" the marking compound and it never gave a consistent mark.
We limit ourselves to metals that do mark well , we stay away from brass (also tarnishes) , chrome (due to inconsistent platings..will work on one item , wont on another) ,NO precious metals. We have had success with nickle , stainless steel , steel , some aluminum and titanium (marks real well)

Dan Hintz
01-24-2013, 6:43 AM
when we tried on a small piece of 0.8mm copper sheet , the amount of heat we had to use actually made the copper deform where it was engraved , seen plainly from the back..we also had very limited success with bigger pieces cos of the heatsink effect , we couldn't get the mark to stick , running our 30w at real slow slow speeds seemed to rather "cook" the marking compound and it never gave a consistent mark.

I keep meaning to try this but so far have not had the need... consider adding an electric skillet inside the machine (I know, probably not the safest thing to do) to keep the substrate warmer overall. It should cut down on the need for such a high power as well as reducing localized hot spots (which should help reduce warping).

Mike Null
01-24-2013, 8:23 AM
I don't believe heating the pre-heating the metal will be of much help. I tried with a heat gun. Now I use Cermark only on stainless steel or steel. Thick aluminum will work but generally non ferrous metals are a problem.

Richard Rumancik
01-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Tracey, if you can get it to work at all, let us know . . . I don't think it is viable for production though due to very low speeds. I have not had luck with aluminum and it is less conductive than copper. I don't think marking aluminum with Cermark is financially viable.