PDA

View Full Version : Woodline Router Bits

George Bokros
01-23-2013, 4:54 PM
Anyone have any experience with these bits? I need a bull nose bit and they have the lowest cost one I have found, like half of Rockler which is the next lowest priced I can find.

I need this to make a bull nose edge on a upcoming project. The bit will likely not have a lot of use after this project.

Thanks

George

ed vitanovec
01-23-2013, 4:58 PM
I have bought from them for the past 12 years and the service is always great. I get my bits in 2-3 days vis USPS priority mail. I have bought router bts and shaper cutters and have been happy with them. Give them a try, I think you will be happy.

William C Rogers
01-23-2013, 5:04 PM
I used the cabinet door set and did not have any problem with them. Seemed to hold up well.

George Gyulatyan
01-23-2013, 8:06 PM
If you're just going need this for this one project, then why not use roundover bit to create the bullnose profile?

George Bokros
01-23-2013, 10:11 PM
If you're just going need this for this one project, then why not use roundover bit to create the bullnose profile?

This is what I was thinking. I would just set my router fence flush with the bearing and round one corner then flip over and do the other side, does that make sense?

George

scott spencer
01-24-2013, 5:28 AM
Woodline are good value import bits roughly on par with MLCS, Stone Mountain, Woodriver, Grizzly green, etc, and probably not so different in quality from the Rockler bits.

Don Morris
01-24-2013, 5:50 AM
I recently built a clock using a Klockit plan. They recommended Woodline bits. I bought them because this was the first clock I've made and was nervous about dimensions, etc. They were fine. I'll agree with Scott Spenser's eval of their quality. They were fine, and good company support, but not up to Whiteside standards.

Charles Lent
01-24-2013, 7:50 AM
I've been using Woodline bits for 10 years or more and have never had a problem with them. They hold up just as well as any of the other brands of router bits that I have. I once ordered a set of round over bits and they arrived in fine condition, but in a broken box. When I reported that to them a replacement box arrived 2 days later.

Charley

Rick Potter
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
I would also put them on a par with Rockler bits. I have quite a few, and they work fine.

Amana, Freud, Whiteside etc. are on a different level, and cost accordingly. For bits that get heavy use, I have them.

Rick Potter

Brian Gumpper
01-24-2013, 10:05 PM
I would also put them on a par with Rockler bits. I have quite a few, and they work fine.

Amana, Freud, Whiteside etc. are on a different level, and cost accordingly. For bits that get heavy use, I have them.

Rick Potter

Not always, quick search on a 1/2" shank 3/8" radius roundover

Rocker $32.99
Whiteside $22.46

tim morris
01-24-2013, 10:19 PM
I buy the bits I don't use frequently from woodline. I placed a small order this afternoon, I had a shipping confirmation and a tracking number in 4 minutes. I deal with a lot of online companies with great service but that is unbelievable!

Roger Rayburn
01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
This is what I was thinking. I would just set my router fence flush with the bearing and round one corner then flip over and do the other side, does that make sense?

George
Actually, for a bullnose, you may only want to use PORTION of the roundover. You run some scrap stock of the same thickness as your work stock and find what distance of the fence from the bearing that makes you happy. You also experiment with different radius bits. If you google for bullnose profile you will see what I mean. The profile is not the same as a radius half the thickness of your stock. Some use a 1/4 radius bit with 3/4 or 1" stock for instance. Lots of latitude. I've used several bits from Woodline. Been happy with the bits and the customer service.

George Bokros
01-25-2013, 7:13 AM
Actually, for a bullnose, you may only want to use PORTION of the roundover. You run some scrap stock of the same thickness as your work stock and find what distance of the fence from the bearing that makes you happy. You also experiment with different radius bits. If you google for bullnose profile you will see what I mean. The profile is not the same as a radius half the thickness of your stock. Some use a 1/4 radius bit with 3/4 or 1" stock for instance. Lots of latitude. I've used several bits from Woodline. Been happy with the bits and the customer service.

I need a completely rounded edge, no flat spot in the middle. Thinking of using a 3/8 radius round over to achieve that result.

Curt Harms
01-25-2013, 10:05 AM
I need a completely rounded edge, no flat spot in the middle. Thinking of using a 3/8 radius round over to achieve that result.

Try it on a piece of scrap? I'm curious (never tried it, obviously) about where the bearing will ride on the second pass if there's no flat. Maybe take the bearing off and use the fence to set depth? It looks like $26 for a Woodline bullnose bit - WL 1104 - and the bearing on the bit would not come into play, just set the router table fence in line with the 'deepest' part of the bullnose profile.

George Gyulatyan
01-25-2013, 3:19 PM
Try it on a piece of scrap? I'm curious (never tried it, obviously) about where the bearing will ride on the second pass if there's no flat.
That is definitely a valid concern. There are ways around it though. You can set the bit a bit lower and then use sandpaper to complete the roundover. If you set it right in the middle, there is a possibility of getting a ridge in the middle of your profile after the second pass, if you're using the bearing that is. A bit of sanding can take care of that too.

I like George B's approach of using the fence and bypassing the bearing altogether. Will likely yield the best results. Some experimentation on scrap stock to set the bit height and fence properly will go a long way to get good results.