PDA

View Full Version : quick change buffing wheels?

Lee Alkureishi
01-23-2013, 1:32 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone tried to make a quick-change system for swapping out buffing wheels? If so, can you point me in the right direction?

I'm thinking it might work to have a Jacobs Chuck holding a magnetic hex bit holder, and each buffing wheel has a hex shank (from a cheap drill bit set). But, there is a bit of slop between the shanks and the holder - not sure how much of a problem that could create...

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Lee

Jerry Marcantel
01-23-2013, 2:04 PM
Lee, Try this link. These are tapered arbors that you just put the wheel up to it, start whatever power source you have and do your polishing. When you're done with that polish, stop, twist off, install the next wheel, polish and repeat until you're satisfied..... These usuall fit jewlery polishers, and are fit to 1/2" and 5/8' arbors, and come in right and left twists.... I saw one the fit a 5/16" arbor.... Search and ye shall find........Jerry (in Tucson)
http://www.nationaljewelerssupplies.com/mandrels/ETBUF903.html

Thom Sturgill
01-23-2013, 3:41 PM
Don pencil sells an adapter for the Beall wheels which threads on the lathe spindle. Others may sell them too. The wheels have a bolt through the center and spin on and off easily. The Beall system includes an arbor that attaches to one side of the grinder, but I like the lathe better as I can control the speed better. He also uses an MT mandrel to attach to the lathe. I thought Vince sold the adapters too, but I can not find them on his site. CSUSA has one made by holdfast.

Thomas Canfield
01-23-2013, 8:48 PM
+1 for Don Pencil adapter and wheels. The 12" long adapter for 1-1/4" thread works great for large bowls and pieces, or with the bowl buffs inside hollow vases, etc. I have also made my own wheels using 3/8" elevator bolts (3/8" NC x2" long with large flat head to use as elevating screw for stand) from Fastenal to mount the fiber wheels to make smaller wheels, 5" D being a good size for bowls between 5 to 8" where the normal wheels are 8" and will not work inside a smaller bowl. To fasten the wheel to the elevator bolt, use the double nut (lock one nut against another at end of bolt) to tighten the fastening nut against a washer at the wheel.

Ryan Baker
01-23-2013, 9:26 PM
+2 for the Don Pencil adapter. You will want the extension length anyway, and wheel changes only take seconds.

Lee Alkureishi
01-23-2013, 9:33 PM
Thanks for the pointers everyone - looks like the Don Pencil system is in my near future :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2013, 12:54 AM
+3 for Don Pencil.

Curt Fuller
01-24-2013, 9:22 AM
I use the Beall morse taper insert. The wheels just thread into it.