PDA

View Full Version : Delta Drill Press 17-965

Stan Smith
01-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Okay guys, I'm over my want of getting a benchtop drill press. I'm going to try and keep the one I have with a little effort in getting it squared away. The first thing I'm going to do is re-seat the chuck which is a 5/8th JT3. If you check this site, http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-17965-type-drill-press-parts-c-3275_3279_3670.html, you will find lots of info on this DP including how to remove and reinstall the chuck and also the quill/spindle.. I had no idea that you need some wedges that are specifically made for this purpose. You can get those here.....http://www.mcmaster.com/?error_redirect=true#catalog/119/2410/=l5uipd. Right now I'm thinking that I should just get a new chuck since mine is 11 years old. One of the bit grippers is a little loose. Also trying to decide what make of chuck to get. I'm off to do a Google search.........................

Wow! Those Jacobs chucks cost major $$! However I found a Jacobs ball bearning model 14N at Sears for $135 w/free shipping. It's not 5/8th but 1/2". The 5/8 model starts out with 1/8th and I think I would like to be able to use very small bits sometimes and 1/2" will be okay for the max. I was looking a a cheaper Grizzly model (H6204) for less than 1/2 the Jacobs price, but decided for higher quality over the long run. YMMV.

Danny Burns
01-23-2013, 6:51 PM
Try a gander over at YouTube and search for 'drill chck removal' and you will see various methods of removal and installation.
With top-end chucks, you get less run-out, which may or may not be needed for your drilling demands.

Stan Smith
01-23-2013, 7:47 PM
Thanks Danny. I did look at youtube but the one I put in my post is the best that I've seen and very clear at least for me. My motto is if you want good results, you need good equipment. I almost got the Grizzly until the light bulb came on and told me not to. There are wide variations on Jacobs chuck prices, too.

Stan Smith
02-04-2013, 4:40 PM
Well, I'm closing out on this one. I got powertwist belts for my dp. Had to buy a 5' one and divide it into 2. Then remove a link or two on the drive belt (motor end). Finally, had to turn them over because I had the tabs going the wrong direction. This made a difference for smoother running, too. I discovered that I had a compound problem. I thought it was the DP, but later determined that my pen drilling vice was off. I'm still waiting for my Steel City laser attachment from M&M Tool Supply. The Jacobs chuck is a lot better than the stock chuck. This is stuff I should have done a long time ago so don't get lazy like me.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-04-2013, 5:36 PM
Where did you get your 5/8 JT3 from? Mine did come with a Jacobs, and the teeth are worn enough so the key slips now and again.... Yes, already got a new key. Quite annoying. Need to replace the chuck. Really dont want an off brand.

TIA

Mark Largent
02-04-2013, 7:27 PM
Look on eBay for a chuck. I just sold several of them. The usually go in the $25 to $35 range.

Stan Smith
02-05-2013, 5:39 PM
Hi Kyle. I saw a bunch of used chucks on ebay, but mine was used also and I wanted a new Jacobs one with ball bearings. I didn't replace it with a 5/8 but bought a 1/2" instead. I think I might have been confused about the bit size range because the 5/8th description said from 1/8 to......but you could use smaller bits with the 1/2". I got mine at Sears who had the best price about 2 weeks ago.
Where did you get your 5/8 JT3 from? Mine did come with a Jacobs, and the teeth are worn enough so the key slips now and again.... Yes, already got a new key. Quite annoying. Need to replace the chuck. Really dont want an off brand. I'm going to hold onto my 5/8 in case I ever need it for something the 1/2" chuck can't handle, but I don't remember when the last time was that I used any big bits for anything.

TIA