PDA

View Full Version : Walnut First Attempt at Hollow Form

Toby Bouder
01-23-2013, 12:15 PM
My first try at using the hollowing tool. Walnut, 3.25"h x 7.5"w, opening is 3.5", walls are about 3/8", finish is WTF, buffed ,ren wax. I'm starting slowly with this tool till I feel more comfortable using it. Sorry about the reflections, it is not two toned as in the second photo.

Steve Doerr
01-23-2013, 1:31 PM
Looks like you did a good job for your first time. The outside has a nice even curve to it. If you have 3/8" thickness all the way round, then the undercut that you did on the lip was not an easy task. The hard part in hollowing is getting a smooth continuous surface on the inside of your HF. What tool(s) did you use to do your hollowing?
Happy Turning,
Steve

Toby Bouder
01-23-2013, 2:23 PM
Looks like you did a good job for your first time. The outside has a nice even curve to it. If you have 3/8" thickness all the way round, then the undercut that you did on the lip was not an easy task. The hard part in hollowing is getting a smooth continuous surface on the inside of your HF. What tool(s) did you use to do your hollowing?
Happy Turning,
Steve
Thanks Steve, it is 3/8" all around. I used a Robert Sorby Hollowmaster full size.