PDA

View Full Version : How to set up 3 identical lasers running off 1 puter - usb?

Rodne Gold
01-23-2013, 5:39 AM
I got a new puter for my GCC spirit operator. Try as we might , we cannot seem to get more than one of the spirits to accept sent files , configured it every which way. We did have the functionality on her old puter (which died) but for the life of me , I can remember how we did it.
We have the 3 machines as 3 printers , ie spirit 1 , 2 and 3 , configured the virtual/whatever usb ports , but can only send to one and not the other 2. Using XP Pro.
Checked cables , all ok. Currently we have to unplug the usb , plug another laser into the usb port and send .
Help anyone?

Walt Langhans
01-23-2013, 11:21 AM
I just tried to send you a PM but it says you have exceeded your storage limit. I can probably fix your issue but it will be much easier and quicker if we could talk via the phone or skype. It's 11:20 AM my time, but I'd be more than willing to stay up late or get up early to compensate for the time difference which ever works for you is fine by me.

Bob A Miller
01-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Just a thought here.. Any chance you are using USB 2.0 on the new pc but don't have service pack 2 or higher installed for XP? If not that, what length have you got on your USB cables....

Bob

Rodne Gold
01-24-2013, 1:05 AM
Bob , Service packs are all up to date etc, cables are fine as if we swap out cables at the usb port sending to each machine , it gets the file. We were using those long usb cables before.
The usb port that lasers use are a GCCusb..created by the driver , however we probably need 3 of these and can't seem to create more than one. Multiple installations of the driver just re create the same port. I haven't tried a USB hub yet and I aim to try printer pooling (same file sent to all printers on the puter)
It DID work before , on the old puter, I just don't remember what we had to do to get it to do so..will ask the GCC agents here today , maybe they can help...
Will chat to Walt on skype .. maybe he can help....
I'ts not a huge problem as its a 5 sec job to swap out cables at the computer end of things , but its not ideal.
My Chinese lasers are not a problem , we run 2 off one design station with no hassles at all.

Bob A Miller
01-24-2013, 2:03 AM
Rodne

Sorry that takes care of the easy stuff...Now if the software creates a USB "port" & doesn't allow for changing any resources ( memory address etc) the next easiest way I know to fix it is to use a smart print server/spooler. Most if the new ones should be able to resolve that.. You can bypass that if you know the right keys to change in the windows registry but most mere mortals probably shouldn't go there.. Any programmers Lurking out there?

Bob

George Brown
01-24-2013, 6:32 PM
If you want to send me the driver, I'll try it out on my computer and see if I can figure out how you had it configured originally.

Ross Moshinsky
01-24-2013, 6:59 PM
Have you gone into the print driver and made sure the engravers are assigned the appropriate USB port? It sounds like all the lasers are setup to the same USB port. It should look something like Laser1 = USB001. Laser2 = USB002. Laser3 = USB003.

Chuck Stone
01-24-2013, 7:02 PM
and the properties on each port are the same?

Rodne Gold
01-25-2013, 1:11 AM
The problem is that we need a "port" created by installing the driver "GCCusb xxx" , we can't seem to create 3 of these ports , installing the driver just creates a single port and reinstalling it just overwrites it , it was suggested to rename the one created and then re install drivers , but I cannot find a way to rename the existing GCCusb port. I have no option when installing the usb driver to give the port another name....
Ah well......