PDA

View Full Version : Water bourne over BLO

Jim Knauss
05-01-2005, 7:22 AM
Hello again,
Is it OK to spray water bourne products over BLO ?.
And if so any recommendations on type ,brand, or are they all the same?
Sorry to be such a dummy , did a search on this and didnt find a clear answer.

Thanks again for any help
Jim Knauss

Bob Reda
05-01-2005, 7:34 AM
Jim,

I've done that many times but you must let the blo fully dry. I usually wait about a week before I put on the top coats. Some may put a cut coat of shellac on in between the blo and top coat.

Bob

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 5:28 PM
I regularly have used water bourne finishes over BLO. Bob has it right...the oil just needs to properly cure first. About a week...your nose will let you know when it's done as the smell goes away. If you want to speed things up, use a thin barrier coat of de-waxed shellac after two-three days (a 1 lb cut is fine for this) and you can start spraying in a few hours.

I happen to like and use water bourne finishes from Target Coatings but there are many great products available today and the selection is growing as the finishing industry moves more and more to the low- and no-VOC camp.

Jim Knauss
05-01-2005, 6:04 PM
Thanks Jim and Bob, I think thats the route I'll take, with a water based product.
Thanks for the help,
Jim Knauss

Steven Wilson
05-02-2005, 4:46 PM
You can spray waterborn over BLO, just let the BLO cure. Since you're probably using the BLO for color and popping the grain you don't need to use much BLO. Anyhow, if in doubt seal it with dewaxed shellac. A 1 lb cut of dewaxed super blonde shellac sprayed on top of the BLO and you're good to go with the water borne.