PDA

View Full Version : Dry grinder upgrades

Bob Jones
01-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions on the previous grinding thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?197211-Dry-grinder-usage

Considering all the input given I decided to upgrade my wheels. I'm going with Norton 3X 46 grit. I would like to try the white wheels, but I can not find any more coarse than 60grit. Anyway, I have a nice Dayton grinder and I'm wondering if I will "need" the oneway balancing system. It is not a cheap upgrade, so I don't want to buy it if it is really unnecessary. It is a full speed 8in if that matters.

I had the oneway balance system on my last cheap-o 6in grinder and it made it more manageable, but now that I have a nice heavy grinder I wonder if it would really matter. Thanks in advance!

David Weaver
01-23-2013, 7:22 AM
If the grinder is in good shape, it won't make much of a difference as long as the wheels you get are reasonably balanced.

I would wait and get it only if you need it.

If the wheels seem a little out of balance, mark each with a marker. Turn one or the other 1/8th of a turn, try the grinder again. Keep indexing 1/8th to find where the whole unit is the most in balance. Good trick for any grinder, especially one with cheap wheels.

george wilson
01-23-2013, 8:43 AM
I've never found it necessary to have a Oneway balancing outfit. Such balancing units are generally used on surface grinding machines where wheel bounce is noticed when grinding a flat surface.

Bob Jones
01-23-2013, 4:02 PM
Thanks for the tips. I called customer support at TFWW and got patched thru to Joel. He agreed that no balancer should be needed. He did say I should expect to dress the new wheels a bit because they will not come perfectly round. That seemed reasonable to me. I guess I will have them in a few days. Joel gave me some more pointers on grinding. I like buying stuff from him. :)

Greg Portland
01-24-2013, 2:47 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions on the previous grinding thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?197211-Dry-grinder-usage

Considering all the input given I decided to upgrade my wheels. I'm going with Norton 3X 46 grit. I would like to try the white wheels, but I can not find any more coarse than 60grit. Anyway, I have a nice Dayton grinder and I'm wondering if I will "need" the oneway balancing system. It is not a cheap upgrade, so I don't want to buy it if it is really unnecessary. It is a full speed 8in if that matters.

I had the oneway balance system on my last cheap-o 6in grinder and it made it more manageable, but now that I have a nice heavy grinder I wonder if it would really matter. Thanks in advance!
Why 46 grit? IIRC you're just trying to re-establish an angle on some Hock blades? I have a Norton 80 grit on a slow grinder and it cuts very quickly. Hopefully an expert chimes in here but I thought 46 grit was for major shaping (i.e. taking bar stock and making a knife).

Derek Cohen
01-24-2013, 6:01 PM
Greg, 46 grit runs significantly cooler than 80 grit. This is relevant on a heat-creating high speed dry grinder.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Anthony Diodati
01-24-2013, 6:39 PM
Why don't you try Ian Kirbys grinding jig, it's on p. 68.
http://books.google.com/books?id=tvYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA99&dq=American+Woodworker+issue+%2371,+February+1999# v=onepage&q=American%20Woodworker%20issue%20%2371%2C%20Febru ary%201999&f=false

Chris Fournier
01-25-2013, 7:41 PM
I grind both woodworking and metal working tools in several grinders. Check out the metalworking sites - 46 grit is pretty much recognized as the go to grit. This has also been my experience. Keep looking for suppliers. Check out your area for industrial abrasive suppliers, what you are looking for exists.

David Keller NC
01-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Bob - I'm confused; Joel has 8" Norton 3X 46-grit wheels that are "I" hardness/friability. That is the hardness/friability grade that most refer to as "white wheels". They're not always white, but it's the grading that matters - the deeper into the alphabet you go, the harder/less friable the wheels are.

Here's Norton's link page to their specifications - access the page, then look on the right side under "related documents" and click the "Grinding Wheel-Blade Specifications". There's a page in the pdf catalog that lists the sizes/friability grades of Norton 3X wheels. You'll notice that Norton doesn't actually make a "white" wheel in 46 grit. The 46 grit wheels are light blue, and are "I" or "K" grade.

http://www.nortonconsumer.com/Wheels-3XBenchPedestal.aspx

george wilson
01-27-2013, 12:26 PM
46 grit is a good grit to use. I caution you guys to use good wheels like Norton. I have tried imports like "Camel"(Israel?) brand wheels,and they seem to wear out a lot quicker.

Chris Fournier
01-27-2013, 1:05 PM
46 grit is a good grit to use. I caution you guys to use good wheels like Norton. I have tried imports like "Camel"(Israel?) brand wheels,and they seem to wear out a lot quicker.

This has also been my experience with the Camel wheels on my Baldor cup grinder as well. Good performance but the curtains drop sooner!

Mel Fulks
01-27-2013, 1:31 PM
I have a new old stock wheel labeled 38 A 60,can't find an explanation of the TWO numbers.Anybody know? I know what the 'A' means.Thanks

george wilson
01-27-2013, 1:40 PM
Just google grinding wheel identification codes and you will learn all.

Mel Fulks
01-27-2013, 1:54 PM
Five sites and I see no explanation for two numbers on any of the 'identification' charts .Guess they don't know either.

george wilson
01-27-2013, 7:19 PM
38A means white aluminum oxide in a very soft grade,60 grit. Puzzling there aren't more numbers. Is your wheel white?