PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary War Era Drum Construction?

Charles McKinley
01-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Where would I start my research for reproducing a Revolutionary War Era battlefield drum?

This would be a gift for a Project Appleseed instructor that he would use as part of the history presentation.

Are there hardware kits available that are period correct or would this be a total custom job?

Thanks!

Jim Creech
01-23-2013, 2:53 PM
Google Cooperman Fife and Drums or try Colonial Williamsburg website.

Charles McKinley
01-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Thanks Jim,

Williamsburg uses Cooperman drums. From what I read they start with a single piece of wood the width of the depth of the drum and form it. That explains the cost as there are few trees left to get that size of a slice from and very few slices per log.

If I were to try this I would need to find a mill that would slice a piece for me and be there to get it as soon as it comes off the mill. There was not a lot of detail on the process of the Cooperman site other than they run their own mill and it is getting harder to make the larger drums in the traditional manor. They have branched out into lamination and some synthetic materials.

Found a couple places to get hardware Coopermans and a place in PA Florance Drum Company.

Not giving up but more research is definately needed.

Dave Laatz
02-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Vaughncraft is a company that specializes in steambent, one piece/ply drumshells. There is also another company called Tree House.

Google is your friend.