PDA

View Full Version : Cellular Modem?

Scott Shepherd
01-22-2013, 9:57 PM
Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about cellular modems? Not cell phones with hotspots, but a stand alone cellular modem. I'm talking about getting access out where there is no internet connection. I know some time ago when I spoke to ADT for security, they offered a cell modem for their alarm system if you didn't have a land line.

This is NOT for web surfing, it's for getting some equipment hooked to the internet where there is no internet connection.

I'm looking for information or experience about that type of product (not security related).

A few things I'd like to know:

1) Who's the carrier, can you take an off the shelf item and get service from any of the big boys?

2) Is it easy to set up?

3) What's the cost per month for the cell service?

4) Are there any features/brands that shine over any others? Anything to stay away from?

Thanks!

Matt Meiser
01-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Check out Cradlepoint routers and a USB device from the carrier of your choice. I've also had a Sierra Wireless modem on both Sprint and Verizon through a 3rd party reseller I can't recommend (the reseller that is.) Frankly the Cradlepoint was more reliable with a Verizon UML290 device. This was all for my home Internet connection.

We are specing some software right now that does 2-way SMS messaging and they are recommending a Multitech modem. Their software is used in critical applications like utilities so I'd guess that device has proven reliable. They said getting service is easy but we haven't gotten that far yet.

As to carrier, whatever works best. Many places I'd want Verizon, others AT&T. And of course you need a workable service plan for the amount of data you'll have.

Another option I just thought of--check out Verizon HomeFusion.

Chuck Saunders
01-23-2013, 8:19 AM
I had a Sierra air card and Cradlepoint router hooked to Sprint. Worked well except with streaming content. The stream would pause when the buffer would run down. Otherwise, it ran great for replacing dialup.
Chuck

Eric DeSilva
01-23-2013, 9:49 AM
Depending upon what your data transmission needs are, there are also some M2M--"machine to machine" options out there that are potentially lower cost. See, e.g., http://www.aeris.com/

Matt Meiser
01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
They look similar to the reseller I used for a while. There's some gotcha's there. They are just using the major carriers' networks. They blabber on and on about support but when it comes right down to it unless your device has failed, there's nothing they can do for you besides open the exact same ticket you can open with the carrier's customer service. They might have a proprietary software platform, and they might be able to do things like give you a fixed IP address but the latter can be done with Verizon on a business account for a (hefty) one time fee.

The one I used required 1 year contracts for a very hefty fee. They had proprietary antennas which didn't work any better than the Wilson antenna I bought on Amazon in reality. And when my contract was up they claimed I damaged those antennas and wanted a bunch of money for them. At the time, the only advantage was getting around the 5GB limits all the carriers had at the time. Now Verizon will let you buy much more than that for much less than I paid this reseller.

Matt Meiser
01-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Scott, if you wanted some hardware to experiment with, I've got a Cradlepoint MBR1200 I'd sell CHEAP and a Verizon UML290, antenna, and cable you can have. I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

Scott Shepherd
01-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Hi Matt, inbox fixed, sorry about that. Send me any info you have. I've never seen one, never used one, don't know anything about them, so PM away and we'll see if it works out for what we're trying to accomplish.

Thanks!

Pat Barry
01-23-2013, 2:00 PM
Matt, does your solution involve a dedicated phone number for the wireless router? Curious about what the monthly cost to run that sort of thing is. My interest is in getting remote access to my cabin for remote control of stuff - ie -turn on the heater for me while we are driving up, maybe hooking up a webcam to see whats happening on the lake, etc.

Eric DeSilva
01-23-2013, 2:26 PM
If I was threatening to consume 5GB/mo or more, I don't think I'd look to an M2M solution--these things are much more aimed at small squirts of data on an infrequent basis, things like positional fixes for trucks in transit, error exception reporting for remote sensors and the like. I know Aeris actually used to have a solution that was something like an SMS-only packet--I don't think anything like that is available though any carrier as a separate service. The very small data solutions should be priced quite differently than normal data plans, although you may have to order 10,000 of them.

Matt Meiser
01-23-2013, 2:26 PM
On Verizon, it can be another device on a Share Everything plan so $20 plus any data you need to add. BUT, unless its on a business account and you pay them a 1-time fee, it has a private IP address. Unless your remote control works through cloud-based service (like the Bayweb ones) it won't work for you.

An advanced user could have the remote site VPN into a main site and handle it that way.

Brian Libby
01-23-2013, 3:33 PM
Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge about cellular modems? Not cell phones with hotspots, but a stand alone cellular modem. I'm talking about getting access out where there is no internet connection. I know some time ago when I spoke to ADT for security, they offered a cell modem for their alarm system if you didn't have a land line.

This is NOT for web surfing, it's for getting some equipment hooked to the internet where there is no internet connection.

I'm looking for information or experience about that type of product (not security related).

A few things I'd like to know:

1) Who's the carrier, can you take an off the shelf item and get service from any of the big boys?

2) Is it easy to set up?

3) What's the cost per month for the cell service?

4) Are there any features/brands that shine over any others? Anything to stay away from?

Thanks!
My daughter has a cellular modem - it works like a USB memory stick . Her's is through US Cellular. It works great-do not know the cost.

Sam Larter
01-24-2013, 4:10 PM
Scott,

I have a Verizon UML290 that works pretty well. I pay $50.00 a month for 5GB of data. The reception where I work is spotty but, by using a USB extension cable to raise the modem, I get better reception.

Sam

Scott T Smith
01-24-2013, 9:57 PM
Guys, correct me if I'm wrong but most cellular modems operate over a circuit switched connection and a phone number.

However, aren't most of the devices mentioned in this string operated over a packet data connection and an IP address?

There is a significant technical difference between the two, which is why I'm asking since the OP requested a modem solution.

Eric DeSilva
01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Your distinction applied in the early days of modems, but the term is now generally applied to data-specific, non-voice customer equipment. I have a "cable modem" but that is all IP--basically a gateway between the LAN in my house and the IP network of the CATV provider. We aren't quite there yet, but expect true circuit switched connections to disappear from mobile networks any moment now--everything is already digital, and IP-based systems are so much more efficient.

Scott Shepherd
01-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Scott, you are correct. I can't use a modem that some have mentioned. There is NO internet connection. There's nothing for me to plug the router/modem into. The device I'm asking about is used by alarm companies like ADT to service people that do not have a wire line phone in their office or home. It's a stand alone device that is a cellular modem. It requires no internet line. It's also not the same thing as the wireless devices you plug into your laptop. It's a completely different animal as best I can tell.

Scott T Smith
01-25-2013, 9:23 PM
Scott, you are correct. I can't use a modem that some have mentioned. There is NO internet connection. There's nothing for me to plug the router/modem into. The device I'm asking about is used by alarm companies like ADT to service people that do not have a wire line phone in their office or home. It's a stand alone device that is a cellular modem. It requires no internet line. It's also not the same thing as the wireless devices you plug into your laptop. It's a completely different animal as best I can tell.

ok, that's what I thought. These were commonly used about 8 - 10 years back, and a number of companies offered them. What you're probably going to need to do is to check with some of the alarm companies to see who is still offering the hardware and service. Basically they are configured with a phone number instead of an IP address.

Craig Coney
01-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Scott,
Is the application fixed or mobile? Do you require a constant connection or occasional connection?

First thing to determine is if a carrier has coverage in your area. If so, which technology is available to carry the data, LTE, HSPA+, UMTS, CDMA, EDGE, GSM, analog? The wireless technology will determine what speeds you can expect for connection and which type of solution and equipment is available. Signal strength and line of site may also impact speeds and reliability.

Which type of interface do you require, 9 pin serial port, RJ-11 for a modem, or RJ-45 for ethernet to connect to the internet?

Larry La Mont
01-26-2013, 2:53 PM
If you are just looking for internet service, I'd take a look at HughesNet http://www.hughesnet.com/index.cfm?page=dspHomepage. It won't set any speed records, but is reasonable, ~15mb, and not dependent on cell service.

Most of the major carriers have what they term a "mobile hot spot" that is not much more than a small box with a 4G/LTE access card within. It's then works just like a wireless router for any of your PC's to link with. I used to build my own with a small embedded Linux PC with any available Wireless access card. (The carriers all have them).

There are a few problems with using cell service for this kind of access. Sprint is the only carrier that will give you true unlimited access. The others, though they may say unlimited, but you will either be throttled or charged extra after some predetermined amount of use. If you have Sprint service where you live, that would be my choice. I've used them and if I had signal ( which wasn't always) the service was excellent.

Matt Meiser
01-26-2013, 3:46 PM
Hughesnet's GEN 4 caps are just as low as Verizon's plus you get the added "benefits" of high latency, rain/snow fade, and regular service calls to realign the dish since that's ultra critical and freeze/thaw cycles will cause it to shift in its mounts. The old Hughesnet equipment is much slower an the caps are MUCH lower if you do the confusing math to figure it out since they use a rolling quota (Imagine them dripping MB's into your bucket...you pull them out as fast as you want, but when its empty, you can only use as much as is coming in which is slower than dialup.)

And Sprint does not offer unlimited access for USB or Mifi-type devices. Only phones. Hit the 12GB cap on the $79.99 plan, the biggest they offer, and you pay 25 cents per MEGABYTE over that. That's $256/GB for overage! By contrast, Verizon's 12GB plan is $90, but overage is $15/GB. Verizon has all they way up to a 50GB plan for $335. Expensive, but the same amount of usage on Sprint would cost you $9,807.99 (and likely net you an invitation to leave.) Sprint has 4G in a few cities. Verizon is saying 100% of their 3G service area will be covered with 4GLTE by July. Last I checked, ATT was somewhere in the middle between Verizon and Sprint.

Your experience with Sprint is exactly why I'm no longer a customer. Their network is falling apart. 8 years ago we had a strong signal at our house. I can see the tower from my roof. When we dropped them 18 months ago, the 3 closest towers to us were experiencing issues with no repair ETA. The max lenght of a call could be about 3 minutes before the towers would do some kind of reset and the signal would just disappear. And its not just me and my area because a coworker who lives hundreds of miles away experienced the same--between his family's phones and mine, 4 different devices. Sprints solution is to give everyone a femtocell and route the calls across the customer's broadband.