PDA

View Full Version : Extrema, Kufo or new Oliver Dust Collectors?

Don Welch
01-22-2013, 7:19 PM
Is anyone using a 1 1/2 - 2 HP single bag dust collector of the brands noted? I'd appreciate feedback if so. After receiving a quote from Felder for the AF14, while I was ready to pony up for the European motor and construction - the offer to charge $299 for shipping a $700 dust collector was not something I could justify. So now I'm back to reviewing the Asian built market and looking for the sturdiest of the batch to order and add a Wynn Environmental filter to . While there are a lot of Jets and Deltas out there i keep running into thin metal comments on the jets primarily that raises some concern. Going by weight alone - these brands seem to jump up enough to suggest, at least, heavier gage stuff. Not the best decision route - hence, looking for experience comments.

Jamie Buxton
01-22-2013, 8:09 PM
If you convert a bag-type DC to a canister filter, you also need some scheme for cleaning the dust off the inside of the canister. All the dusty air blows through the filter, and the dust clogs the filter. That's why you see beaters on all the canisters when they're OEM machines.

If you already know you want a canister, why not buy a machine that already has a canister instead of fussing around with the conversion?

Wade Lippman
01-22-2013, 8:13 PM
I had a Kufo 2hp for a few years before I got a cyclone; it had a filter though.
It worked fine; if it is reasonably priced it should be fine.
I converted it to 120v and CS was as helpful as they could be, considering they didn't speak English.
Be aware though that it is difficult to resell. It took me 6 months to sell it for almost nothing.
Apparently no one is looking for Kufos.

Don Welch
01-22-2013, 8:50 PM
If you already know you want a canister, why not buy a machine that already has a canister instead of fussing around with the conversion?

I've read good things on the Wynn filters, including the Bill P. site, and they have a nice listing of conversion tips for various make machines on their site. With the intent to change to a Wynn, it seems wasteful to add $$ to a machine for the manufacture's canister [often coarser than a Wynn] to then convert - save $$ on a 30 micron bag unit and immediately toss the bag.

David Kumm
01-22-2013, 11:43 PM
All three brands are likely built in the same factory and may have the same motors. Look for a used bagger as well. Coral, Dustek, and Rees Memphis are industrial models. They tend to be bigger but there are also Delta two baggers out there. I bought a used 7.5 hp four bagger Coral and the shipping was $100. Put four oversized Beane filters on it and was good to go. If you put a cartridge on a bagger you need at least a Thein baffle. I'd do an oversized bag necked down to fit and save the cartridge for when you get a cyclone. Dave