PDA

View Full Version : electric chainsaw choice

Dennis Taylor
05-01-2005, 1:29 AM
Been lurking for awhile, but ready to post a question on CS. I would like to get an electric saw, I do not intend on felling tree's, but mostly cutting up log pieces in my garage, 11-12 inches in diameter. I have looked at a few of the electric saws and several boast 3.5hp motor, kind of doubt that, but can anyyone comment on electric cs and maybe any recommendations?..I looked at the gas saws, and not sold on one for occasional usage. any comments are appreciated...Dennis

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 9:57 AM
I'm a Stihl person on the gas side and while they do have an electric, I opted for a Remmington 18" electric for "in and around the shop use". It's been a trooper. The only downside is that these things use "thin kerf" chains; at least mine does, and that makes for less flexiblity in obtaining replacements. But it also conserves power. My electric cuts really, really well...I'm quite pleased.

John Shuk
05-01-2005, 10:06 AM
I have a Stihl electric. I have used many other electrics at work because we are only supposed to use electrics in the bucket. The Stihl is hands down the best. It is a bit expensive though. I've found Homelite to be pretty decent but just a different catagory altogether. Just watch out alot of the less expensive electrics allow the bar oil to flow out which makes a big mess.

Ken Salisbury
05-01-2005, 12:48 PM
I have an "el cheapo" electric Remington 16" which actually is a little work horse and less than $100.00

Gary Max
05-01-2005, 3:11 PM
Dennis do not let the size and weight fool you. I have a 14 Mac and the thing has a unreal amount of power. I am very careful when I use it because it is so light.