PDA

View Full Version : corel or adobe

Frank barry
01-22-2013, 6:36 AM
First of all thank you all for the forum I have learnt so much

I haven’t bought my laser yet but am down to 3 manufactures in china [as I need to keep my costs down]

I don’t have the software yet and was wondering which as best Corel or adobe

Software is so expensive

Do I need the most up to date version

Can anyone suggest where I could buy at a good price

Thanks in advance

Michael Hunter
01-22-2013, 7:17 AM
Corel Draw is the most popular, so you will get the most help with this if you need it.

Although I would recommend getting and learning the latest version (X6.1), earlier versions will be fine for lasering.
I still use X3 to drive my laser, though I have X6 in the office.

The downsides of X3 are that there is no upgrade path (you would need to buy the full version of X6 if you decided later that you needed it) and you would also need to download patches to get it to work with Windows 7 (and possibly Vista - I cannot remember now). The "tracing" functions are better in X4 and above.
If you are on Windows 8, then you need to do some research on the Corel site to find out which versions work/can be made to work.

john banks
01-22-2013, 5:38 PM
Corel is cheaper and capable for a laser and it is probably this that makes it more popular than Illustrator which many argue is "better", but for a laser you don't often need anything like a recent version, sometimes you can find offers that give you valuable software free in return for a trial or purchase of a much cheaper product or service.

Consider the free Inkscape.

Joe Hillmann
01-22-2013, 6:11 PM
I am still using corelDraw 11. Since I only use it for printing to my lasers I probably don't uses about 90% of the functions that it has. You can find corel 11 on ebay for $50 buy it now price so if you are trying to keep within a budget that may be a route you could look at. Of course I have never used anything newer than 11, if I had I may think that 11 is obsolete .

Martin Boekers
01-22-2013, 6:17 PM
One thing to remember if you get an older vesion of Corel is you have to make sure if people send you files
they have to be for your version or earlier. Most here are aware of that and save it "downed" to lower versions.

Sign up for emails alerts from Corel they always have a sale going on so don't pay full retail.

Corel also has a photo editing software Photo Paint included with the software so you can do editing too.

There are "open Source" programs out there, I can't speak for them, others here might. Gimp (similar to Photo Shop, Photo Paint) Inkscape (similar to Illustrator, Corel Draw)
But they are free.

Welcome aboard!

Michael Hunter
01-22-2013, 6:45 PM
Joe -
I did not mention V11 in my previous post because X3 is so much better in many ways.
(I've been using Corel since V6, but had V11 when I bought the laser and was EXTREMELY pleased when I upgraded to X3)

I still prefer X3 to X6 for most things, but use X6 for file transfer and tracing.
X6 is quite a lot slower than X3 on my machine - I think that they wrote it assuming the latest whizzy processors.

Steven Cox
01-22-2013, 9:24 PM
I'm a bit old school, I've been using corel since version 3 when corel installed from half a dozen floppies. Nowadays its much faster and can do more things. Over the years I've used Photoshop for all image work and then corel for all layouts and final production. I know corel has photopaint but I could never get into it and much prefered Photoshop. On the corel side of things though I've used it commercially for over 25 years in printing, signwriting, graphic design and more recently running the laser. For layouts I couldn't (or wouldn't more to the point) use anything else!..... Yep I'm old school and hate change but love corel!.

Jeff Greer
01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
I just started using Corel in August and am 100% self taught - stinks but that is the way it goes. I ran MasterCam X5 CNC programming software for a living before changing careers and I started on Corel 11 and hated it as MasterCam that I was use too was much more user friendly for wire frame work. I upgraded to X6 once I bought the company and X6 is vastly nicer to use then 11 as it has simple snap to features and drag functions that I was use to in MasterCam that made it easier to get around. Little things but when you are use to them and then you dont have them - killer... I hear illustrator is the way to go if you are a graphic artist thou.

David Fairfield
01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
I use both Corel and Adobe Illustrator. For me, AI is superior, or as I like to say, working in Corel is like working with Adobe with a sinus headache. :) Corel costs less, and does less, but it should do what you need for laser engraving. But AI is truly a joy to use, once past the learning curve.

Dave

Talley Boatwright
01-22-2013, 11:16 PM
I switched from Adobe CS3 Suite to CorelDraw X4 then to X5 Corel Designer Technical Suite. Leave X6 alone...it has bad glitches and does not run well on 64 bit. I stay with 32 bit and nice size HDD. You will find more compatibility with Corel vs Adobe Illustrator. Try looking up tutorials, how to setup laser files in Illustrator compared to Corel.
Is Adobe powerful? Not doubt but Corel is as well and equipment compatible.

David Fairfield
01-23-2013, 8:47 AM
Just a note regarding compatibility, Illustrator and Epilog play nicely with each other nowadays. The old (2005?) Epilog driver was not compatible with Illustrator without a bunch of workarounds, the new Epilog driver runs it flawlessly.

-Dave

Mike Null
01-23-2013, 10:07 AM
I've been using Corel since version 8 or about 16 years. I haven't found anything i want to do that I can't do with Corel. It is the standard for the engraving industry if that means anything to you.

I also have Engravlab which cost 5 times as much as Corel and I hate it--but must use it to operate another piece of equipment.

Frank barry
01-23-2013, 10:07 AM
thanks to all of you

Dave your comment is very interesting that different software works better with one machine and not with another

I taught you would use either adobe or CorelDraw for design then send it to the software in the laser and let the machine run on whatever software it comes
with I can see now it is not that simple

I do plan to buy from China

Ronald Erickson
01-23-2013, 10:30 AM
<snip> Leave X6 alone...it has bad glitches and does not run well on 64 bit. I stay with 32 bit and nice size HDD. <snip>

I've been running CorelDRAW X6 64-bit on Windows 7 for 3 months now without issue. I have a modern PC (i7-2600k, 16gb ram, SSD primary/OS drive with a mechanical Data drive) and have not experienced any performance issues or glitches. Based on my experience I would have to wonder what problems people are actually having with X6 64-bit?..

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend X6 64-bit if you're running modern equipment (again, based on my experience).

Mark Ross
01-23-2013, 10:58 AM
We got Corel 6 off Ebay for less than 100 brand new, sealed, not an upgrade. Took a few days to win an auction at what we wanted to pay, but it was worth it.

Doug Griffith
01-23-2013, 11:14 AM
I would nail down which machine you are going to purchase and then pose the question as to how well the drivers work with the different software packages.

Frank barry
01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
it looks like i will go with the ShenHui SH-G350 or the SH-G460 80reci

the way i look at is if i am going to the trouble of importing a machine i may as well go with the newest model with as high a spec as i can that is why i like the G406 more being honest it is more than i need but if it works out i am set up for years
I am lucky I havent the softeare yes to that is why i asked

i just got a reply from them and they suggest the older version of adobe is better
guess it pays to ask

Frank

Talley Boatwright
01-23-2013, 2:28 PM
Just a note regarding compatibility, Illustrator and Epilog play nicely with each other nowadays. The old (2005?) Epilog driver was not compatible with Illustrator without a bunch of workarounds, the new Epilog driver runs it flawlessly.

-Dave
David, if you don't mine? i am interested to learn how you are setup in Illustrator with the Epilog? I tried it a couple of times but it seems to want to go in the middle of the table. As with Corel, I do not have that problem at all. WYSIWYG on the screen.

Doug Griffith
01-23-2013, 3:42 PM
David, if you don't mine? i am interested to learn how you are setup in Illustrator with the Epilog? I tried it a couple of times but it seems to want to go in the middle of the table. As with Corel, I do not have that problem at all. WYSIWYG on the screen.

I use Illustrator as well. It sounds as if your page preference is defaulting to the center position. It looks like 9 small squares. 3 rows / 3 columns. Highlight the upper left square.

William Milligan
01-23-2013, 4:20 PM
When I got my Epilog I was more familiar with Adobe products and so purchased Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator, etc because I liked a lot of the features. Yes, corel seemed like it was less capable and might be. For my first months using the laser I would shift back and forth between Corel and Photoshop...there just seemed to be some things that were easier to do in Photoshop...BUT...I have found that Corel X5/X6 seems to work for most of my projects...I haven't done much at all with anything else...of course I am not doing any design of new logos/graphics. For most of what I do if there is art involved the art is supplied by the customer....I do have to make modifications but I can usually modify the artwork using the capabilities of Corel. Some of it is going to boil down to what you need to do, with what you are most familiar and what you can afford.....bottom line, sometimes personal preference...what works best for you.

Ross Moshinsky
01-23-2013, 4:28 PM
I'd say the most important difference between Corel and Adobe is CorelDraw has the "Print Merge" option which is incredibly useful in this industry.