PDA

View Full Version : Bow Saws

Lloyd Robins
01-22-2013, 2:50 AM
I am getting back on the Creek after a long absence. It is still as good a place to hang out as it was before. I hope that these thoughts and question are not a bother. I have been using some bow saws recently. A couple are from CME Handworks Inc (ebay seller) which are very nice and the other one is the Gramercy turning saw which is exactly as advertised (even in hickory). I like working with them, but I am having a problem getting a couple of large sizes and replacing my back saws in some usages for one reason, namely the blades. The Gramercy's blades should be readily available from somewhere over a long period of time (hopefully from Joel and his decedents), but the larger bow saws seem to be dependent on their current makers for blades(such as CME and Woodjoy). I know that you can use bandsaw blades, but in looking around the internet I find that there are greatly varying opinions of just how well this works. Some other places will only sell the blades with the bow saws (which is not the best way to run a business.) Also, if the vendors retire or leave the business, then where can you obtain replacement blades when they get dull, which unfortunately happens? That would leave just the frame as most of the blades seem hard to impossible to resharpen. The back saws, however, can be resharpened and passed down to kids and grandkids. I have a problem learning a skill set that I might not be able to use or pass down. Anyway this long intro is just to ask if I am missing something or if anyone has any other thoughts on the matter. Thank you.
Lloyd

Jim Matthews
01-22-2013, 7:55 AM
Anthony Guidice uses framesaws exclusively in his unplugged shop.

He shows a sharpening jig in "The seven essentials of woodworking" that amounts to a pair of hinged plywood boards with a stip of bicycle innertube glued on the ends.
He sharpens as with a standard Western handsaw but takes out most of the set.

I believe the Putsch blades and a "Turbo" blade are available from Highland woodworking.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/search.aspx?find=frame+saw

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-22-2013, 10:04 AM
For the larger saws, (with blades taller than the coping-saw-sized blade of a turning saw) couldn't you get a strip of whatever spring steel one uses to make English saws, and tooth and sharpen it as a standard saw?

Aaron Rappaport
01-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Putsch bowsaw blades are also available from highland woodworking for $9 - $10 a blade.

Lloyd Robins
01-23-2013, 1:04 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. I think that cutting the spring steel would be beyond my skill level, but is a very interesting concept. I am probably over thinking this. I does look as if the 400 mm blade is a standard size made by several groups. I will probably be available for some time. Thanks again.

Chuck Nickerson
01-23-2013, 1:05 PM
Putsch bowsaw blades are also available from highland woodworking for $9 - $10 a blade.

I coupled the WoodJoy bowsaw frame with the Putsch blades from Highland (three of each of the three sizes).
That should last me a while. It's a great set-up.

*NOTE* I got the hole-to-hole distance on the blades and communicated it to WoodJoy for the build.

Lloyd Robins
01-23-2013, 2:47 PM
What a good idea! How do the Putsch blade work? Do they track well?

Chuck Nickerson
01-24-2013, 2:10 PM
I've got a few hours (6?) of sawing with them, some practicing curves for a Roubo bookstand.

The one that wasn't tracking was an easy fix, I just slid a stone down the teeth on the pulling side.
Since they're not hardened, all the usual tricks work for adjusting and sharpening saws.

Lloyd Robins
01-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Great, thank you!