PDA

View Full Version : Huisache

Steve Mawson
01-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Met up with Todd at Chappell Hill, Texas on Sunday. We cut a little Huisache and then went to lunch in town for some Texas BBQ. Todd really has a nice place where he is planning on building a house, he is also a really good cabinet maker. Don't know how the Huisache will turn but will find out in the future, just cut down so it is very green right now. Got a picture of the wood so that will have to suffice. Not real large as this tree grows more like a bush but the color is very much like Mesquite.

Jerry Marcantel
01-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Steve, that's a nice haul. It aslo cracks just like mesquite. Any idea if it's as stable??........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Alan Trout
01-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Huisache is very unstable. It warps and cracks badly but is also really pretty. I have a chunk of trunk that is about 30" which is large for Huisache. Looks like a load of fun.

Good Luck

Alan

Todd Burch
01-22-2013, 7:43 AM
Hey Steve - thanks for coming out! It's always a pleasure to host a fellow creeker!

(And thanks for the help clearing out the greenbriar!)

Todd

Thomas Canfield
01-22-2013, 9:20 PM
Steve,

It looks like you have a good selection to work with. I noticed some checks on the ends and was wondering if the wood had been cut for some time or the cuts were fresh. I have only one experience with Huisache and it had been down for some time (6 months possibly) out in a pile, and I cut a section from the trunk just to test. The bark was already loose and there were some worm holes in outer sap wood, but the main moisture was out of the wood. I split the section and turned a small 5" bowl and was impressed. I have a request for more Huisache and am thinking about sealing some longer sections to dry for hollow forms.

You have some nice crotch sections and there should be some good grain pattern there. Have you seen the crotch sections turned end grain? Something to consider.

Steve Mawson
01-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Thomas,
Wood was just cut on Sunday. Have not tried end grain crotch but will give it a try. Largest pieces are Not much over 5".
Probably going to let dry for a while before I try to turn. From what others have said this wood likes to crack.

Thomas Canfield
01-23-2013, 9:23 PM
Steve,

I meant to ask earlier how you got from Lincoln, NE down to Chappell Hill, TX for a load of suspect wood. I do think that you have some interesting wood ahead of you. Judging from the end checks in pictures and wood being fresh cut, then sealing with Anchor Seal needs to be done ASAP. Cutting down to bowl blank size and sealing will help speed the drying, but I encourage leaving extra length. Hopefully the bark will hold being cut at this time of year and you can get some NE pieces. You do have cool weather in your favor for the next few months.

Scott Hackler
01-23-2013, 9:42 PM
Steve is likely to get some Mulberry tomorrow afternoon!