PDA

View Full Version : How much $$$ do you spend on tools/woodworking in a year?

Rich Riddle
01-21-2013, 9:56 PM
My name is Rich and I am a toolaholic.

How much money and/or time do you think you spend on tools and woodworking in a year? Can you hazard a guess? We're not your wife; you can be honest. I basically trade for new tools or buy cheap and spend long hours restoring vintage tools. That said, last year with all the expense of an addition, I am easily over $10K in tools and materials.

Victor Robinson
01-21-2013, 10:11 PM
I don't want to talk about it.

Rich Riddle
01-21-2013, 10:12 PM

Talking is the only way you can get yourself help.....

Larry Browning
01-21-2013, 10:14 PM

Me either, SWMBO, sometimes reads my posts. Plus, I'd rather not even think about anyway. I would probably just depress me.

Rich Riddle
01-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Me either, SWMBO, sometimes reads my posts. Plus, I'd rather not even think about anyway. I would probably just depress me.

I just peaked at the American Express bill that had charges for shoes, dresses, purses, etc... I don't have a thing on SHMBO in regards to expensive items. Woodworking and home repair does keep me close to home on hobbies.

Jim Tabor
01-21-2013, 10:21 PM
About $6000 in 2012

Steve Rozmiarek
01-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Look at the bright side, us toolaholics have great estate auctions...

I prefer to think of my tool budget amortized over the years I've been enjoying them, in terms that my lovely bride appreciates in case she reads this. Something like 1/4 of her nice new cars payments each year, for a couple decades or so. Good grief I spend a lot on her cars now that I think about it!

Matt Meiser
01-21-2013, 11:01 PM
It was an expensive year and this one has started on the same path. But we've got a brand new laundry room and kitchen to show for it.

Jim O'Dell
01-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Mine varies, but still a lot less than many of you!! I would think that the most I ever spent in one year was probably about 3K and that was about 6 or 7 years ago. Last 2 years ZERO. Year before that about 14-1500. I'm about maxed out on room, so won't be a bunch of tools in the near future. Jim.

Jeff Monson
01-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Look at the bright side, us toolaholics have great estate auctions...

It was an expensive year and this one has started on the same path. But we've got a brand new laundry room and kitchen to show for it.

Well at least you 2 have seen the 1st step to recovery, admitting you have a problem.

Me on the other hand I'm still in denial......deep, deep denial.

Paul McGaha
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
I'm supposed to not exceed a shop budget of $3,000 per year, which includes everything shop related.

I've had some years where I've been under budget (working a lot) and other years I exceed the budget.

I went over in 2012, I spent about $5,100, I'll try to be under this year to try to balance it out.

PHM

Ray Newman
01-21-2013, 11:56 PM
I really do not buy too much any more. I am almost 67, and started buying tools and related woodworking paraphernalia when I was in my 20's. I took an old patternmaker's advice to start buying tools early and buy the best, and if you can not afford the best right away, save up for it.

eugene thomas
01-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Not counting year built my grage shop easly the most ever spent on tools. Guessing around $12000 .But did tell the wife done for while.. woodworking show not till late february...

richard poitras
01-22-2013, 8:43 AM
Same as last year to much…..

Ed Aumiller
01-22-2013, 9:01 AM
Like Ray Newman, started years ago.... except bought a few imported tools in the 90's which I had to upgrade... most of my expenditures now are on normal replacements such as bandsaw blades, sandpaper, finishing, etc.. Estimate about $20-50 month.. but my shop has been completed for years now..
Hate to think how much is invested in it...

Still it is a relatively economical activity compared to some other things...

Jacob Muldowney
01-22-2013, 10:25 AM
This seems like it could be a clever trap orchestrated by SWMBO, but I usually try to budget it by paycheck. I say this much per paycheck goes to woodworking. Sometimes I spend more sometimes less. Lately I have been buying less tools and more materials. I was lucky enough to get the last of my big wants lately for tools. I only need a dust collection setup and I will be pretty much done buying big tools for awhile.

Gregory Stahl
01-22-2013, 10:38 AM
I made a deal with my wife, she can have a new car every couple of years and I will keep driving my paid for truck. I rent an industrial building for my shop, rent alone is over 6k a year.

David Ballard
01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Not as much as I used to. When I got back into this hobby, after an almost thirty year absence, I was spending a lot. I would guess $1500 to $2500 per year for about three years. That included the "big" stuff plus materials to outfit the shop (garage). Now I spend considerably less, mostly supplies and materials. However there is always a new tool out there that I think that I can't do without and upgrades to early purchases that have either worn out or just don't cut the mustard due to quality or capacity.

Joe Cowan
01-22-2013, 11:05 AM
I have finally leveled off. The big year was last year when I did the Maloof style rocker. Started by buying a floor model Jet spindle sander, then many small files, router bits, pattern makers vise after buying the wood and building a nice heavy bench, then buying a two screw vise. Next up came the wood for the rocker (old growth walnut, then decided I needed a Foredom die grinder with all the bits. I screwed up drilling one of the spindle holes so I added a nice drill press table. I think this one project ended up costing me around $4500, but I get to break it down over the next rocker which I will start next fall (with the QS Sycamore I bought last year as well).

Bruce Page
01-22-2013, 11:38 AM
After several expensive years I have pretty much everything I need now. The last few years have been relatively cheap for me. This year will blow that in the water, I’ve already spent ~ 9k since the first of the year...

Paul McGaha
01-22-2013, 12:02 PM
After several expensive years I have pretty much everything I need now. The last few years have been relatively cheap for me. This year will blow that in the water, I’ve already spent ~ 9k since the first of the year...

New Shop Bruce?

Ryan Hellmer
01-22-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm probably between 1500-2000 per year, but I'm always "flipping" things to pay for my hobby so very little of that amount actually comes from my wages ($500 or less per year). My dad also has a sawmill so all my lumber is "free". Couldn't afford to buy the lumber. Sometimes I think about how much it would cost if I had to put 1 new bit/blade/abrasive on every machine in my shop. That alone would cost thousands. - Ryan

Gus Dundon
01-22-2013, 12:14 PM
It cost me thousands.

Charlie Ross
01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
:) That's funny

Brian Tymchak
01-22-2013, 12:50 PM
I think it's wise to take the 5th on this one.. ;)

Actually, since I have a small basement shop that limits what I can buy, and a lot of house maintenance that severely limits how much time I can spend in it anyway, I've spent very little over the last couple years.

However, if I could find a way financially around those 2 constraints, I could see spending $400- $500 a month for exotic wood and accessories. Well, maybe $500/mo after the $50K for a new shop and $25K new tools. :rolleyes:

Victor Robinson
01-22-2013, 12:58 PM

Help? I hang out here all the time with my fellow addicts and ya think I want HELP?! :D

Steve Peterson
01-22-2013, 1:03 PM
I tried once to limit myself to $200 per month. It didn't work and large purchases are too hard to save up for. I am probably closer to $4000 per year, although large purchases should taper off since I am running out of space. I still find myself taking cash to Woodcraft so it won't show up on the credit card bill.

Steve

Jim Rimmer
01-22-2013, 1:10 PM
2010 - $1965 (included new 14" bandsaw
2011 - $1857 (included $613 for mahogany for tables for LOML)
2012 - $1410
2013 - $0 so far
In 2009 I bought a new tablesaw and then started a self-imposed budget of $150/month. Blew it the first 2 years but I've got my major tools now so it's clamps, chisels, blades, bits, etc. now.

jim gossage
01-22-2013, 1:15 PM
I have spent about $20,000 on stationary machines in the last 15 yr, since I started woodworking. The last 12 months have been particularly costly with a sawstop, griz cyclone, and griz helical planer. I have no idea how much I've spent on the little stuff, but I have 2 file folders each about 2" thick with receipts from griz, rockler, lee valley, etc. My wife will never complain because her hobby is horses. I'm a lucky man. Nuff said!

David Kumm
01-22-2013, 1:49 PM
It might be more relevant to speak in terms of spending as a % of income. One guy's $100/mo might make less sense than another's $1000/mo. Dave- trying to justify higher spending.

Eric Kipker
01-22-2013, 1:53 PM
Not going to say, my wife might see my post.

Joe Cowan
01-22-2013, 2:16 PM
I had a business partner that collected guns. He wanted to own a case of shells for each gun even though he could not possibly use them. I would rag on him about this until I started on my shop. I want to own some tools, with the pleasure being just having them ready to use if I should need them, or buy them for some future project that I could probably get by with some other tool I already own.

Pat Barry
01-22-2013, 2:38 PM
I assume this is for the hobbyist right, not a business application, so for me the range is from 650 to 1000 annual, mostly for material these days. I am including probably 200 per year on nice to haves, not need to haves.

Julie Moriarty
01-22-2013, 2:40 PM
I love sailing. And I'd love to own a sailboat. If I never got into woodworking and stashed all the money I spent on tools, I could buy a pretty nice sailboat now.

Jamie Lynch
01-22-2013, 4:13 PM
I still find myself taking cash to Woodcraft so it won't show up on the credit card bill.

Steve

Haha! Never done that one before;).
This year is a big one for me. the past few has been in the sub $1000.00 range. I'm not even through January and I'm already at $1500.00. To be fair i did buy a new table saw and have started insulating my shop.

David Helm
01-22-2013, 4:26 PM
Several years ago I spent $27,000. The money was from my homeowners insurance and went to rebuild the shop trashed by a hit and run driver and to replace numerous stationery tools that were destroyed. Since then the expenditures have mostly been for materials.

Rich Riddle
01-22-2013, 5:59 PM
Let's not do the percentage of income ratio. This year I am cutting way back on work and it would not reflect well as a percentage. I would be over 100%. If we counted the things I do at home to avoid paying a contractor, it would reflect well.

Clark Harbaugh
01-22-2013, 8:04 PM
I'll chime in on this one, seeing as how my wife has no desire to read the forums I'm on. I think my average year spend on tools and general shop supplies is around $4K. My largest year was around $12IK, but that was when I decided I was going to take woodworking seriously and moved on from the $200 Black & Decker table saw and thrift store power tools to a full shop worth of real tools - 5 hp table saw, 19" band saw, jointer, dust collection, work benches, lathe, drill press, countless hand power tools, clamps (can't believe how much I've spent on clamps), and way too many other small items to list. My justification was that she was pregnant at the time (stay with me...). I call it my 5 step program to getting your shop outfitted.

Step 1 - Get wife pregnant. Step 2 - I said I wanted to build the baby's furniture, and she was excited about that. Step 3 - A couple weeks later I started cussing louder than normal while in the shop, complaining about how long it took to setup a table saw for every cut, etc (set the stage) Step 4 - Tell her that if I don't have the proper tools, the furniture will not turn out right, which she now gets overly emotional about (hormones). Step 5 - finally, tell her that since she will be quitting work and becoming a stay at home mom (God bless her...) that I will never have the opportunity again to afford to buy a shop's worth of tools. She asked how much, and I told her about $5K. I may have overrun a bit. I was in hot water until I delivered the baby's furniture, then her bed, the entertainment center....

Clay Fails
01-22-2013, 8:36 PM
I have spent about $20,000 on stationary machines in the last 15 yr, since I started woodworking. The last 12 months have been particularly costly with a sawstop, griz cyclone, and griz helical planer. I have no idea how much I've spent on the little stuff, but I have 2 file folders each about 2" thick with receipts from griz, rockler, lee valley, etc. My wife will never complain because her hobby is horses. I'm a lucky man. Nuff said!
Ditto what Jim said!

Bruce Wrenn
01-22-2013, 9:18 PM
It varies year to year. Because I earn my living with my tools, the cost is deductible on taxes. When I worked for someone else years ago, tools were REALLY ON SALE. I still had my business at that time. (I don't remember not filling out a schedule "C" in the last thirty+ years.) When you added federal, state, social security and medicare taxes on self employment and a full time job, any tools I bought were on sale for more than half off. I had a choice, I could buy a tool, or give it to the government. But I don't have any tools that have cost me, as they have paid their own way with money earned. Once my wife mentioned how many routers I owned. I showed her one B&D 610 that I paid about $100 for which has only had one bit in it. But it has made me over 75K since I bought it in 1996. Once my FIL said I was the only guy he knew who had a saw for each end of the board. I reminded him how many steps per day I DID'NT walk to go get saw. This year, my tool purchases are going towards repairs, which I have put off too long. Plus I'm planning to have bi-lateral knee replacement in a couple months.

Steve Kohn
01-22-2013, 9:28 PM
I have no idea on what I've spent over the years. And more importantly, at least to me, is I simply don't care. I'm retired now and have a pretty complete shop. However the itch to acquire new tooling hasn't gone away. If I see somwthing I like I simply plunk down the credit card.

paul cottingham
01-22-2013, 9:42 PM
My wife sometimes reads this forum, so my answer is "nothing."

Steve Rozmiarek
01-22-2013, 9:50 PM
Clark, that is genius!!!

Harold Burrell
01-22-2013, 9:57 PM
How much $$$ do you spend on tools/woodworking in a year?

If I tell, I will have to kill you.

Actually, it is WAY more likely that my wife would end up seeing the post and then kill ME. :eek:

Rich Riddle
01-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Since apparently many wives read this forum. What do you think your friends spend on woodworking or tools in a year?

Stephen Cherry
01-22-2013, 11:34 PM
One thing that I do is try to buy used so that the tools are more or less money in the bank.

Gary Herrmann
01-22-2013, 11:39 PM
It's a hobby. I don't think about it much. Just like I don't really think about how long it takes me to make something.

I do sell turnings, but even then, I pick a price and stick to it. Anything I make is gravy. Don't have a website. Don't advertise. I don't want to have to make 25 of anything in a week, or even a month.

People have told me I should consider doing this for a living. I'm a PM in real life, so I think about quality vs hours vs dollars every day.

When I'm in my shop, all that goes away, and I like it just fine.

Steven Hsieh
01-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Not enough..

paul cottingham
01-23-2013, 12:31 AM
oh, THAT'S easy. about 150/mo. i have a friend who spends at least 400/mo.

Jim Andrew
01-23-2013, 5:26 AM
I don't keep track of my week to week expenses, but spent about 3300 on the Grizzly sale the end of the year. Of course I'm very happy I did, as the tools are great!

Rod Sheridan
01-23-2013, 9:31 AM
Like most people, my expenditures fluctuate wildly from year to year.

Most years I probably spend about $200 per month, then I buy a $10K piece of machinery and my monthly average changes. :-)

Last year I spent $500 building a band mill, added about $1,000 in accessories to my table saw.............This year I probably won't spend anything on machinery..Rod.

Erik Christensen
01-23-2013, 11:57 AM
depends on what i am building - the expensive years were when the shop was getting equipped - clearvue DC, table saw, planer, jointer, 12"RAS, drum sander, 19" BS, 5hp shaper with power feeder, plus I discovered that festool makes hand tools that are a joy to use (I do this for fun) - 2 years of 15-20k/yr

latest hit is discovering fine hand tools - another couple k to LV/LN then realizing my power tool bench not suited for had work so I am in the process of building a hard maple shaker bench with bencrafted hardware - so far that is about 1.8k

wife knows what I spend on this - I drive a 95 camry with 150k miles as i'd rather have that with a tool budget than a new BMW but no tools

Joe Angrisani
01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
So materials do count?

I guess I don't agree so much with that. "Materials", to me, is money that would be spent on decorating/furniture/etc. I see "money spent on woodworking" as the obvious such as big tools and DC, as well as widgets from Woodcraft or a new Dust Devil or wood for jigs/storage. If I use my shop to make a new garden gate, that lumber is landscaping money, not woodworking. If I ever get around to making my Roubo bench, that wood would be woodworking money.

That said, I spent about $5000 total over two years getting the major players and basics in place (almost EVERYTHING used, from Unisaw to sharpening). Now that I have most tool needs covered, I'd be surprised if I spend $300 a year.

mreza Salav
01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I don't count how much, it's difficult to keep track, but it varies. For example in 2010 and 2011 I think I spent over $5k (each).
I don't consider wood as it is something goes as furniture back to our house.

Peter Kelly
01-23-2013, 1:30 PM
Not going to say, my wife might see my post.Well not said. The mods probably ought to lock this thread or move it to the private forum before someone gets in trouble ;)

Julie Moriarty
01-23-2013, 3:47 PM
So materials do count?

I guess I don't agree so much with that. "Materials", to me, is money that would be spent on decorating/furniture/etc. I see "money spent on woodworking" as the obvious such as big tools and DC, as well as widgets from Woodcraft or a new Dust Devil or wood for jigs/storage. If I use my shop to make a new garden gate, that lumber is landscaping money, not woodworking. If I ever get around to making my Roubo bench, that wood would be woodworking money.

That said, I spent about $5000 total over two years getting the major players and basics in place (almost EVERYTHING used, from Unisaw to sharpening). Now that I have most tool needs covered, I'd be surprised if I spend $300 a year.

I see money spent on tools as only that money one spends that is over and above the cost of the value of whatever one produces. If you need new kitchen cabinets that are estimated to cost $20K and you instead spend $10K on tools and $4K on materials, your cost of tools is $0 plus you can brag how you saved $6K. There's also a value in being able to brag you did it yourself and that value can go very high, depending on how convincing you are. If you're good at math and politics you can find yourself making money hand over fist while spending all you want on tools. This is creativity at its best. :D

paul cottingham
01-23-2013, 4:12 PM
Since apparently many wives read this forum. What do you think your friends spend on woodworking or tools in a year?
oh, THAT'S easy. about 150/mo, wood in. i have a friend who spends at least 400/mo.

Bobby O'Neal
01-23-2013, 5:06 PM
I will throw out the percentage game. I'm at well under 1%. Probably haven't ever reached .5% in a year. Most of my items are inexpensive, used, gifts, etc.

Rich Riddle
01-23-2013, 10:30 PM
I am not certain of Rod's budget, but I would like to have some of his tools...

Jim Andrew
01-23-2013, 11:05 PM
If you have trees available, owning a bandmill really cuts back on your material costs. At least that's what I told myself. You also need a skidsteer.

Rod Sheridan
01-24-2013, 8:34 AM
I am not certain of Rod's budget, but I would like to have some of his tools...

LOL........Well Rich, the budget is pretty small this year.......I have all that ash for flooring (that's why I built a band mill last year), the shaper knives for the flooring were about $130, that may be the sum total of my tool expenditures this year except for some accessories for the Hammer B3 which have apparently arrived at Felder, pick them up next week......Rod.

Mike Waddell
01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
I try not to think about this topic too much because I do this as an outlet, but the past year or so have been REALLY heavy cost-wise because I expanded the shop (added about 60% more space, put in hard wood floors, re-ran all ductwork, put in 3-phase power) and went from a Minimax Combo to separates. It all has come to about $WAYTOOMUCHTOADMIT.

Cary Falk
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Way less than my wife spends on her hobbies, clothes, shoes, cars, horses, etc.

Rich Riddle
01-24-2013, 12:23 PM
I try not to think about this topic too much because I do this as an outlet, but the past year or so have been REALLY heavy cost-wise because I expanded the shop (added about 60% more space, put in hard wood floors, re-ran all ductwork, put in 3-phase power) and went from a Minimax Combo to separates. It all has come to about $WAYTOOMUCHTOADMIT.
Well I think most of us don't like to admit what the costs are, but most of us likely don't have your costs in the last year. I heard three phase was cost prohibitive in a residential area.

John Bickle
01-24-2013, 8:29 PM
$6,000 last year and already $3,000 this year.

Wondering if I have a problem.

Rich Riddle
01-24-2013, 8:40 PM

Welcome to the dark side.....wait until you get the Green Goblin illness.

Victor Robinson
01-24-2013, 9:20 PM
Welcome to the dark side.....wait until you get the Green Goblin illness.

There ought to be prophylaxis available for that one.

Milind Patil
01-25-2013, 3:41 AM
Woodworking is the most expensive hobby that I have come to know so far !

William C Rogers
01-25-2013, 4:49 AM
I'll need to get back to this in a couple of days. I will need to split this into two excel sheets as only 65,000 entries are allowed. Seriously around $18K in tools and $6K in materials for new cabinets.

Richard Wagner
01-25-2013, 4:51 AM
I run my shop like the Democratic Senate runs their operation. There is no approved budget here and I have extended the debt ceilings several times. The other side of the House threatens to cap all spending. When I am gone, the kids can figure it out.

Rich Riddle
01-25-2013, 5:48 AM
I run my shop like the Democratic Senate runs their operation. There is no approved budget here and I have extended the debt ceilings several times. The other side of the House threatens to cap all spending. When I am gone, the kids can figure it out.
Quite the good analogy, as many of us have similar situations. Never drew the parallel until you said that.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-25-2013, 1:55 PM

I'm thinking you do have a problem. Same problem the rest of us have.

Joe A Faulkner
01-25-2013, 2:16 PM
When I started the shop remodel, I was getting regular disapproving glances and a an occasional "are you kidding me?" glare - sky lights, wire, framing material, sheathing, paint - plus all of the time poured into the shop were all contributing factors. Eventually SWMBO and I discussed it and arrived at a $100 month "tool" budget. Kind of helps me resist the impulsive purchases and prioritize. Tool budget does not include material costs for projects, so finishes, lumber, glue, and the like are acquired as needed. In 2012 the big purchases were a used unisaw and 12 parallel clamps. Currently saving for lumber and vise hardware for a workbench (lumber cost for the workbench does come out of the tool budget). I probably spend approximately $500 a year heating the shop.

Bobby O'Neal
01-25-2013, 2:30 PM
It's late in the game now but we probably should have been specifying whether we are in a hobby or an income. That changes the perspective quite a bit.

Mike Heidrick
01-25-2013, 2:38 PM
In a hobby thats enough for an income and then some I think.

I am running slow this year - under a grand so far. Linear motion parts, cartesian robot parts, wood, and measurement tools get most of the coin these days. Woodworking tools are all good.

Kevin McCluney
01-25-2013, 7:56 PM
Not as much as I'd like, but more than I should. Tool addiction can't be cured, but it can be treated...

Rich Riddle
01-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Not as much as I'd like, but more than I should. Tool addiction can't be cured, but it can be treated...

Well I just returned from the Woodworking Show in Kansas City. I fell off the wagon......

Paul McGaha
01-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Well I just returned from the Woodworking Show in Kansas City. I fell off the wagon......

So what did you pick up Rich?

PHM

Adam Cormier
01-28-2013, 12:47 AM
Well, aside from a few hundred every year for the past decade, I'd say most recently I've spent a notable amount.

2011 - $3000
2012 - $2000
2013 - so far, $2500

But, if you see my wife on here....I've had most of those tools for years and a Veritas plane usually cost about $10-$15...right guys?!??! right?!?!?!