PDA

View Full Version : New Acquisition

Don Orr
01-21-2013, 9:02 PM
I don't post here very often but I do lurk and read a lot. You all have taught me so much-thanks. I have a fair collection of user grade hand tools and have been learning how to clean, tune, sharpen, and use as many of them as possible. I saw this on our local Craiglist and picked it up this weekend. It's not in the greatest condition, but it is complete and fuctional. The sole is a little pitted but not cracked in the usual places. It needs a serious cleaning and Evaporust bath, but it will be a decent user in the end. The man I got it from says he is a collector who is thinning his herd. I did not get to see the collection but he did bring out a decent Stanley #9 with original hot dog. Not mint condition, but at least good+. I did some research before buying and think I got a fair deal. I already have a Victor style Stanley #20 and have been watching for one of these for a while.252084252085

Jeff Bartley
01-22-2013, 9:26 PM
Nice score Don! Please be sure to post a pic after the cleanup!

Gary Herrmann
01-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Very nice. I think the Victor versions are desirable in terms of collectors.

Jim Koepke
01-23-2013, 2:11 AM
Nice score Don. Some prefer the #20 for curved work.

Here is a post of my experience with fettling a #113:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148391

At the end of the post is a link to my using it.

One of the problems with posts like this is when you learn a little bit more. It gets to be difficult remembering to go back and update old posts all the time.

jtk

Don Orr
01-23-2013, 9:45 PM
That's a great tutorial on the 113 -thanks a lot. I'm not sure if I want to get that involved in all the disassembly. But your article might just give me the confidence to give it try.

Mel Miller
01-23-2013, 10:52 PM
One think I like to do when cleaning the 113s is to turn the adjusting knob way down, then reach in between the top of the bottom plate and the casting to clean out any rust & chips that can be hiding in there. Then, when you adjust the sole the other way, it prevents putting extra stress on the sole plate near the center where you sometimes find damage.

Mel