PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the (I think) New Ridgid Pneumatic Nailers?

Jeff A. Smith
05-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Was wondering if anyone has seen Home Depot's Ridgid nail guns?

I was considering the 15 ga. angle nailer. They have it for $199, and it may or may not be possible to get 10% off this weekend.

Anybody know anything about these? (Like who really makes 'em)?

They have a sign up that says something to the effect of "Free Repair, Free Service for Life." (maybe my quote's a little off, but that's pretty much the jest of it).

Thanks,
Jeff

Allen Bookout
05-01-2005, 1:32 AM
I have a Dewalt D51275 and it is excellent. The Porter Cable seems to get high marks as well. Having said that, a lot of the guys in construction around here are using the Rigid nailers and have nothing but praise for them. That is good enought for me as they really take a beating. I would say buy one of these three brands and it will serve you well. Best price would be my basis for purchase. Allen

Ken Fitzgerald
05-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Jeff......I don't know about the Rigid but on a contractor friends advice I bought a Senco 15 ga finish nailer and love it. Not a problem with it yet.

jack duren
05-01-2005, 11:23 AM
agree with ken here. your better off to buy a senco or porter cable 15 guage finish nailer rather than become a reviewer of a new gun.

you can get some pretty good deals on ebay...jack

Dave Sweeney
05-01-2005, 11:23 AM
The Ridgids are brand new and just hitting the stores now. Obviously, it's way to early to tell anything about their staying power.

The latest issue of WOOD has a comparison test on a dozen different 18ga brad nailers. In the 8 different catagories that were tested, the Ridgid didn't receive a rating lower than a "B" in the A-D rating system used. It actually received four "A" ratings, two "A-" ratings and two "B" ratings. It sounds like the 15ga is priced right there with the likes of PC and Bostitch but the 18ga, according to WOOD anyway, was priced considerably higher then the overall test winner Porter-Cable.

Allen Bookout
05-01-2005, 11:47 AM
In the test article that you are talking about the Dewalt D51238k and the Porter Cable BN200A actually tied in ability but the Porter Cable won because it was $20 cheaper. However I found them for the same price. I cannot imagine any better nailer than the Dewalt but some may be as good. As of now I could not find the specific D52238K new but only as factory reconditioned. I hope that it is as good as new as I have one enroute to me at this time. The Dewalt 15g angle nailer that I like so much is the D51275. The Rigid also got pretty good marks but cost quite a bit more than the other two.

jack duren
05-01-2005, 11:50 AM
you really cant judge nail guns based off magazine tool reviews. porter cable gets ranked higher than senco in most cases but in the field senco's are used 2-1 on a professional level.

kinda blows the reviews i think ;) ....jack

jack duren
05-01-2005, 11:54 AM
dewalt blew up on there first round of nail guns. even dewalt/yeller diehard guys in the field didnt give dewalt a second chance.

maybe they improved the gun to get it to professional standards, but like jet they screwed themselves.....jack

Allen Bookout
05-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Jack, Where do you get your statistics on what equipment professionals use? If I can get facts and they really are using a specific brand 2 to 1 I surely would consider changing my selection next time I buy. Allen

jack duren
05-01-2005, 12:03 PM
im with prefessional trim carpenters daily and im a professional cabinetmaker...jack

Allen Bookout
05-01-2005, 12:06 PM
I though that you meant nation wide and not just local. Thanks! Allen

jack duren
05-01-2005, 12:12 PM
i understand ;) ....jack

Tim Morton
05-01-2005, 12:54 PM
I think you will find alot of 15ga angle nailers that are much cheaper than $199 with proven track records. my Bostich was around $129 and it works just fine.