PDA

View Full Version : Turns out I'm Boxed in

Brian Kent
01-21-2013, 6:02 PM
My first attempt at a box. The box lid fit OK at first, though it popped off a couple of times when I was touching up the box and lid together.

Once I finished sanding and buffing, that lid has quite a grip. I can't get it off. It may be on there for good, which is fine because my goal was learning and not making something practical.

I guess I have made my first short fat hollow dowel. :rolleyes: That is something I never expected to accomplish in life.

Brian Kent
01-21-2013, 6:21 PM
I got it. I just needed a bigger hammer, vise grips, and some transmission fluid. Now at least the grain on the lid is lined up.

I looked up "turned boxes" on the Creek and found some great posts from 2003 back when todays Creek whirling masters called themselves "beginners". There is hope!

Harry Robinette
01-21-2013, 7:54 PM
Brian
I do believe I had a couple of the dowel's around for a while. I'll try to put my box hand-out on here in the next couple days. I do some things differently then most guys and maybe it will help you out.

Brian Kent
01-21-2013, 8:01 PM
That would be nice, Harry. I didn't look for instructions first. Just started playing. Actual knowledge and experience would help. :)

Jim Underwood
01-21-2013, 8:06 PM
I did that on my first box too. I did leave a knob on top so with some time and effort I was finally able to pull it back off.

Russell Eaton
01-21-2013, 8:22 PM
Watch out, those boxes can be additive. Try a contrasting color wood inset in the lid. Adds a little different look to the turning.

Lee Hoffman
01-21-2013, 9:51 PM
Try this... Now that you have to pry the lid off.. Perfect!... Take the box to the buffer and hard buff the interior lip with tripoli. The tripoli will smooth the surface and the carrier wax will lubricate the fit. Give it a try...

Bernie Weishapl
01-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Really nice looking box.

Kathy Marshall
01-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Nice job on the box Brian!
The guys are right, boxes can be addictive but then there's not much about turning that's not addictive!

Brian Kent
01-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Kathy, is your lathe still out of commission?

Kathy Marshall
01-22-2013, 2:01 AM
Kathy, is your lathe still out of commission?
Yep :(, but they finally determined that the main board is bad and are sending a replacement, so hopefully I'll be up and spinning next week. Amazingly, I've still got a tiny bit of sanity left :eek:.

Brian Kent
01-22-2013, 2:43 AM
Hold on, Kathy. You'll make it. :eek: