PDA

View Full Version : Chuck slipping

Ellen Benkin
01-21-2013, 1:15 PM
I have two different drills (Makita and Craftsman) that seem to have the same problem. I put a drill bit into the drill and tighten the chuck as much as I can but after drilling a few holes (maybe 5) the chuck loosens so that the bit gets stuck in the work. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any solutions?

glenn bradley
01-21-2013, 1:25 PM
Replacement chucks are quite reasonable, even at the BORG. If you have done a fair amount of slipping during the drill chuck's life, it can be damaged. Inspect the jaws. Are the length-wise edges crisp and sharp or, all beat up? I have drills that have gone way beyond any expectation and I also have had them foul after some light use. In trying to hit an attractive price-point, makers will cut corners and chucks are a good place that many folks don't think about until after the sale.

Ole Anderson
01-21-2013, 2:12 PM
I have a new PC 18 volt drill with the same problem. In my case I believe part of the problem is the stopping mechanism they use. As soon as you let off on the trigger the rotation stops with a bang, which I suppose is good for an emergency, but acts like an impact wrench. The inertia of the spinning chuck suddenly stopping with a bang eventually loosens the chuck from the bit. I wish there was a button that would disable that feature.

david brum
01-21-2013, 5:56 PM
I also think that if you're drilling something abrasive, the dust will get into the chuck and keep it from tightening properly. Chucks for drilling concrete have a rubber boot over them for just that reason.

Ronald Blue
01-21-2013, 7:00 PM
Have you had this problem since the drills were new or has this just developed? What type of bit is it? Brad point, split point, standard twist drill? Some split points are available with flats on the shank to make them more or less slip proof. This is not the same as a quick change. It would be a step backwards but you could try going back to a keyed chuck for more tightening power. Unfortunately even in the better keyless chucks in my experience are only as good as your gripping strength. I know that doesn't help any.