PDA

View Full Version : Well I finally bought some

Keith Christopher
04-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Of the rainbow poplar veneer. Not sure yet what to use it on but I didn't wanna pass this up. If you've never seen rainbow poplar check this out.

http://www.wood-veneers.com/veneer_featured_6.html

Keith

Christopher Stahl
05-01-2005, 12:09 AM
That's gorgeous! I'm sure you'll make good use of it. :)

chris

Steve Stube
05-01-2005, 5:15 AM
Valley pool tables were produced in Bay City, Michigan until maybe 12 years ago when they closed the doors and business. Rainbow poplar was the top of the line table piecewise - that was my first introduction to poplar as something other than gofer wood (a name given to it by those that burned it for heat, it burns hot but you are always "going fer" more to keep the fire stoked). I've burned a bit of poplar to clear land but it was all white wood. Do you know where the Rainbow Poplar is harvested? In my area you can find good size Yellow Poplar logs but they don't have the dark colors as found in your veneer and the Valley pool tables.

John Hart
05-01-2005, 7:10 AM
Ya know what came to mind first for me is a cool backgammon table. nice stuff Keith!

Richard Wolf
05-01-2005, 8:16 AM
Keith, thats some beautiful wood. I've never seen that before. Could you share some more infomation about where you found it and cost?

Richard

Jim Becker
05-01-2005, 9:03 AM
Interesting...someone actually marketing what appears to be mineral stained poplar! I only had a little staining in my poplar stash. I suppose that this could be induced in trees...I've seen some aspen done that way.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-01-2005, 7:03 PM
Wow, that is some great looking wood. I am sure you will put it to good use.

Keith Outten
05-01-2005, 9:54 PM
I don't know if this is the same species but I keep a few pieces of colored poplar around my shop for intarsia projects. The color of these poplar boards is fairly common here in our area of Virginia, lots of purple, green and other colors in the same board.