PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
01-21-2013, 9:27 AM
21 Jan 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
I came off oncall duty this morning for the day job and it was probably the best oncall week/weekend that I've had in a very long time. I am thankful for good oncall weeks.

The snow and ice has finally gone, we had good temps this weekend, warm enough to get out and do things...but I was stuck in the house for my oncall duty. I'm hoping for good warmer weather this coming weekend...so I can go for a motorcycle ride with my boys.

I'm learning how to airbrush as I figured that this would be good to know for touchup and detail work on furniture, turnings, leather, and you name it. I bought my first airbrush setup in 1979 when I was overseas. I still have that little compressor and all the airbrush stuff. It all still works just fine and I'm enjoying the learning time.

Here's to a good week for all of us. That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Doug Richardson
01-21-2013, 9:33 AM
I finished running the conduit for the new location for my table saw. Plan on running the wires this evening after work.....

David Nelson1
01-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Picked thru the wood pile for a few piece to start my bench.

Rod Sheridan
01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
I didn't have much shop time as Ellington, my shop cat had anothe seizure this weekend.

I did spend some time dovetailing the fronts of three drawers for the hall table..............Regards, Rod.

Matt Meiser
01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Friday evening I got my old Unisaw workstation disassembled and move the new Sawstop into place. Saturday started with 90 minutes at the bank getting everything going on a refi--always a good time--followed by picking up new picked up materials for a new outfeed table since the old one needed too many tweaks due to dimensional differences between the two saws. Saturday afternoon/evening I built the new outfeed table. Yesterday I got my pull-out miter gauge storage redone to work--I used to have it in a box behind the saw but the dust collection on the new saw got in the way. Sunday evening after dinner at my parents we talked some about a cabinetry project I'm supposed to be doing for them. We have been somewhat stalled out due to differences of opinion on design sense (or lack of), and whether the parts are even constructable/usable but I'm getting a plan formulated in my head finally. Stay tuned for Sketchup drawings.

Jim Barrett
01-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Repaired some box joints on a tool cabinet I built over 20 years ago...was built out of birch hardwood and in a semi unheated garage probably had lots of wood movement over the years which loosened up the box joints...looks better now with most of those gaps filled in!

Jim

David Nelson1
01-21-2013, 2:49 PM
Friday evening I got my old Unisaw workstation disassembled and move the new Sawstop into place. Saturday started with 90 minutes at the bank getting everything going on a refi--always a good time--followed by picking up new picked up materials for a new outfeed table since the old one needed too many tweaks due to dimensional differences between the two saws. Saturday afternoon/evening I built the new outfeed table. Yesterday I got my pull-out miter gauge storage redone to work--I used to have it in a box behind the saw but the dust collection on the new saw got in the way. Sunday evening after dinner at my parents we talked some about a cabinetry project I'm supposed to be doing for them. We have been somewhat stalled out due to differences of opinion on design sense (or lack of), and whether the parts are even constructable/usable but I'm getting a plan formulated in my head finally. Stay tuned for Sketchup drawings.

I'm interested in your ideas. Like the way the your kitchen turned out. :cool:

John Towns
01-21-2013, 3:15 PM
Busy weekend. We are planning a bathroom remodel and then on to the kitchen. I received approval to make the cabinets, so I bought the cherry for the double sink vanity. We went to the home show in Baltimore Saturday afternoon to get some ideas and talk to some vendors. Somewhat disappointed in the show. We scheduled 2 windows companies to stop by this week since we need to replace the 2 windows in the bathroom. Then I assembled my new dust collector which will be helpful when I plane and joint the lumber for the cabinets. I love making sawdust, only now I won't have to sweep up so much of it.

John

Shawn Pixley
01-22-2013, 12:00 AM
I spent the weekend making an accoustic guitar. Three full days making a guitar from a kit. The class was taught by Scott Dixon of US Guitar Kits. Good instruction and good classmates, I had a blast.

David Hostetler
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Been a busy weekend. Got off early Friday, The old Saturn was looking pretty shabby due to beat up hub caps and worn out tires, so we went to Discount Tire and snagged a package deal on some fresh rubber, and some updated rims. I really wanted the Saturn OEM directional alloys, but those proved to be more difficult to locate than you would expect. At least in acceptable condition. There are a LOT of beat up old rims out there! Anyway, so we got the car on new rolling stock, then did a Royal Purple oil change on the thing. I still need to take the MAF and TPS out of the manifold and clean them thoroughly. I'm not throwing a code, but I am without a doubt running, well not at 100%, and my mileage isn't what it should be (23 in town in a car that small, I don't think so!).

Installed the low voltage plate, and brush wall plate for my home office move. LOML and I are moving the home office into the smallest bedroom to better utilize space, and God willing make room for one more. (At this point we aren't against adopting, but haven't given up hope yet...). I have opted to not do an in wall structured wiring project, as the largest part of our data infrastructure is the office itself. So instead, we are going to wall mount the hardware.

We toted up and put back in the attic all, or what we at first thought was all of the Christmas decor / lighting / accessories.

Finally got around to hauling the big stack of cardboard we have been setting aside for recycling, to the recycling bin. I was going to haul it all in my truck, which is out of service pending a $1,405.00 bill for new tires, ball joints, and shocks. (Tires are bad, ball joints are what took them out, since the front end will be apart anyway, might as well do the shocks right?). So we jammed it all in the back of the Saturn and hauled it all in...

Took LOML to a community theater showing of Agatha Christie's "Spider Web" and had a blast. Pretty good production for community theater, and certainly priced reasonably well.

Didn't get a ton done here, but got another sheet of sheet rock installed on the shop wall. The stud on the left end of the rock didn't quite line up (the stud isn't on a 16" center like all the others for some reason). I had to basically install a small 2x2 block to the studs on the inside to allow for something for the drywall to get screwed to. What a pain in the butt! Anyway, I have 1 more sheet that I am slowly prepping, and will get on the wall probably Thursday night. Next 2 nights are already called for you know!. Then I get to size up and install the lower panels where all the outlets are. UGH...

Due to the sheet rock being down, and the wall more or less unusable until the rock work is done, my shop is a disasterous mess. I spent probably an hour yesterday cleaning in there, just organizing things as best I can when there really isn't a home for most items. I am kind of hard pressed at this point. I have enough of the sheet rock installed to tape and mud the upper portion where the cabinets are to be installed. and I REALLY want those cabinets back up, that would clear out a TON of space in my shop... But I don't want to do this piecemeal either. I want to just keep going, which I think I am going to do.

I am particularly enthusiastic about getting this sheet rock done so that I can get my shop back in order. Once the shop is back up and running the way it ought to be, I have a bunch of cabinet / shelving work for the various closets through the house that needs to get done.... Not to mention the garden bench rebuild. LOML and I salvaged a beautiful old cast iron and wood garden bench from a neighbor that was going to throw it away. I have one of the few remaining good wooden slats as a template. The rusted screws / nuts are cut off, and I am not sure if I want to try brushing Evaporust all over this thing, or just see if I can borrow a soda blaster from a friend and try to blast the cast iron bits clean...

So many projects, so little time, ugh...

David Hostetler
01-22-2013, 11:34 AM
... Then I assembled my new dust collector which will be helpful when I plane and joint the lumber for the cabinets. I love making sawdust, only now I won't have to sweep up so much of it.

John

Or much more importantly, breathe so much of it...

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Saturday, for the first time since my accident 8 days earlier, I went to the shop to work. I cleaned the router bit with which I had the accident, and routed 12 3 1/2" by 3 1/2" x 3/4" dados. I had a lot more patience this time!

Sunday.....football.

Charles Wiggins
01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Spent most of the weekend reading & researching, but I had MLK day off so I got a few things done:

1) Rotated firewood stock from garage into the house
2) Swept out the garage
3) Decided it was time to do the second firewood rack in the garage that I've been wanting to add
4) Went shopping for said firewood rack, got disgusted with prices and went back to the blue BORG for supplies
5) Built firewood rack
6) Brought more firewood into the garage
7) Swept again
8) Brought the dogs in
9) Bathed the dogs (rainy weather has been murder)
10) Cleaned bathroom
11) Washed towels & dog bed, and sofa covers from the basement where they sit with me to watch TV
12) Cleaned the kitchen floor and the wall in the corner where they sleep.
13) Cleaned the laundry room, where the dogs hang out when the weather is bad. Had to mop 3 times to get the floor clean.
14) Replaced the blown circuit board in the fridge (we'd ordered the replacement and it arrived yesterday)
15) Built and stoked a fire
16) Prepped to teach research skills to a physics class that was meeting this morning. I finished my prep around 2:00 AM

Brian Tymchak
01-22-2013, 1:01 PM
I'd show a picture of paint drying but we all know how exciting that is.. ;)

Painting the whole interior this winter. Trying to get it done before Spring yard work starts in late March. I'm about 1/3 done with the 3 floors. Not sure I'm going to make it.. Finsihed the living room and dining room with the long weekend. Slow going due to having to move stuff around, fixing walls, cleaning up previous owner's obvious lack of painting skills, chronic back pain, and well, I just hate painting anyway... but not enough to hire it out.

Gregory King
01-22-2013, 1:06 PM
Charles, looks like you get a lot of "heating" out of a cord of wood too. Much like myself. AHH, but the enjoyment of the old woodstove in cold weather. Greg