PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw questions.

Rob Boursaw
01-21-2013, 6:28 AM
I would like to buy a bandsaw. Probably used. Can not spend alot.
What to look for....
I just want it to cut 5 to 6 in thick stock. And be on the line , both sides
of the wood.
Do they all do a decent job?

I know not all jigsaws are created equal.
Thanks

Rob B

Jim Andrew
01-21-2013, 7:22 AM
You are not going to want a cheap saw for sawing thick stock. Better look for an Italian bandsaw.

Bill Huber
01-21-2013, 8:38 AM
I have a Jet 14" and it is only a 1 hp and I cut 5 and 6 inch boards all the time, I can slice a 1/8" strip with no problem.

I think it is the set up and blade as much as the saw. I know there are some really cheap ones out there but an older Jet or Delta would do the job for you I believe.

If I was looking for a used bandsaw I would be looking at the tires, the bearing on the wheels and the guild bearings, the drive belt and general condition.

Stew Hagerty
01-21-2013, 9:04 AM
The Grizzly G0580 14" saw is $425 plus shipping. Or, keep your eye out for a good used one.

Myk Rian
01-21-2013, 9:33 AM
There are millions of Delta 14" saws available everywhere.
They've been in use since Noah built the ark. Parts are plentiful on the used market. Especially on the owwm.org BOYD classifieds.
Under $300, and often under $200 is the usual going price.
The best saw for the buck with a time proven design.

John Bailey
01-21-2013, 10:59 AM
There are millions of Delta 14" saws available everywhere.
They've been in use since Noah built the ark. Parts are plentiful on the used market. Especially on the owwm.org BOYD classifieds.
Under $300, and often under $200 is the usual going price.
The best saw for the buck with a time proven design.

I concur with Marks suggestion. I had a 1939 model that was always spot on from the day I got it. Wish I still had it. My own opinion is that the older ones are better, but you may have to do some set up. Also, you'll need to check things like bearings and tires. That said, it's easy stuff to learn and the old Deltas are the easiest to get information and parts. If this intimidates you a bit, it may be better to go new. There are a lot of good Delta knockoffs at good prices.

John

Gus Dundon
01-21-2013, 2:30 PM
I would like to buy a bandsaw. Probably used. Can not spend alot.
What to look for....
I just want it to cut 5 to 6 in thick stock. And be on the line , both sides
of the wood.
Do they all do a decent job?

I know not all jigsaws are created equal.
Thanks

Rob B

Try reading this informative blog : http://bandsawblog.com/what-to-look-for-in-a-used-band-saw/ .

Gregory Stahl
01-21-2013, 2:52 PM
Get a craftsman bas350 14" bandsaw. It is on sale for only $339 at sears website and I bet you can get the same price in store. This saw is similar to the rikon and other smaller saws. Very good saw for the money, used one many times. For that price, I am tempted to get one, but already have a mm24 and griz 19". Hmm.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-21-2013, 10:29 PM
That's funny, only two of us agree on the saw so far! Fine, make it three, the Delta or good clone is a pretty good saw.