PDA

View Full Version : Flat Scroll saw Work

Charlie Stein
04-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi All,
Keith if this is not in the right place feel free to move it. Got a horse show coming up and have been working on it. This is one of about 35 pix I have to cut, stacked 5 at a time 7 different pix.
Just Charlie

Dale Thompson
05-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Charlie,
EVERYONE, as far as I know, is welcome to jump into the Creek. Like yourself, I have recently gotten into the "portrait" area of scrolling although my real love is turning. I really like your horse jumping "portrait".

Are you using solid wood or plywood? I have been using nothing but 1/4" Oak plywood and have learned a lesson the hard way. Veneer core vs. foam core is the ONLY way to go. The foam core doesn't take the stain that I use and only the "runs" show!

I'm sure that you also have learned that you can't just pick up your frames for $3 at Wal-Mart. The 1/4" "Portrait" requires frames which have more "depth" than a typical picture. I've been using 1 1/8" Red Oak for these frames but I think that I could sneak away with 1".

So far, among others, I have done Dale Earnhardt, Babe Ruth, Elvis, a deer "buck", a pair of giraffs, a tiger, a really neat and complex cougar and a "portrait" of my grandson when he was three months old. I'm presently working on a "portrait" of John Paul II.

I typically use black velvet as the background. However, some folks prefer a "Camo" background for the "Buck" and a "Denim" background for "The Babe". John Paul II will get a "Cardinal Red" background.

Dale T.

John Hart
05-01-2005, 7:38 AM
Those are pretty nice Dale...I like the frames too.

On my recent trip to Charlie's house, I got the opportunity to see all his work...Wow!
You oughta show more pics Charlie!

Charlie Stein
05-01-2005, 9:55 AM
Hi Dale & John,
Thank you for the good coments. Dale do yuo make your own frames? do you use molding or is that flat stock you work up? Which ever they look real sharp.
Just Charlie & Betsy :)

Jeff Sudmeier
05-01-2005, 7:05 PM
Both of you guys do wonderful work! I have always admired the scroll saw work!

Scott Esbrook
05-01-2005, 7:21 PM
Wow, I really like the one of the buck. Nice job.

Dale Thompson
05-01-2005, 9:24 PM
Hi Dale & John,
Thank you for the good coments. Dale do yuo make your own frames? do you use molding or is that flat stock you work up? Which ever they look real sharp.
Just Charlie & Betsy :)

Charlie,
Thank you - and Betsy! Being the lazy old guy that I am, I started out with those $3 frames from Wally-World. :o Unfortunately, the recesses in the frames were too shallow for the 1/4" portraits and "real" single-thickness glass. My first "portraits" were OK from the front but really bourgeois from the back - bad, BAD workmanship! :(

As a sign of repentance, all of my frames are now made from flat stock and routed in any way that happens to suit my fancy. They are REALLY easy to make and give the "portraits" a "heft" which I didn't have before. :) I had some 1 1/8" stock laying around and have been using that. I think that I can get away with 1" stuff and I'll try that when my new Framemaster arrives. :) I'm REALLY tired of those "push points" folding over without securing the back of the picture. :( I also did not appreciate the screwdriver jumping out of the "point" and doing more damage to my hand than the "point" did to the frame! :mad: Lesson: The RIGHT tool for the RIGHT job! ;) No problem - I heal fast!

Charlie, it looks like you have a very large project! You better get to it instead of reading my stupid posts! :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
05-01-2005, 9:50 PM
Both of you guys do wonderful work! I have always admired the scroll saw work!

Hey Rena,
Thank you very much! :) By the way, I couldn't even find you guys on my road map. I had to seach the internet for ancient ruins in the State of Wisconsin! ;) Once I found you, I can understand the problem. Arena is made invisible by the prevailing westerly winds that blow the smoke from Spring's scrap pile. ;) Now I can understand how a city of 17 million can be obscured to those who make the maps. :) ;) I'm an understanding guy. That's why I have so many friends?? :rolleyes: :eek: :)

Dale T.

Tom Hurlebaus
05-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Charlie and Dale,

Excellent work ... I'm a Scroller myself, but I've never tried portraits.

Thanks for sharing .... Tom

Dale Thompson
05-02-2005, 9:57 PM
Charlie and Dale,

Excellent work ... I'm a Scroller myself, but I've never tried portraits.

Thanks for sharing .... Tom

Tom,
I always like to try new things. Sooner or later I will get one of them right - as if I care! Anyway, if you are interested in portraits, check out the following website:
www.angelfire.com/md2/creativewood/browning.htm

It's a lot of fun! Besides, those small pieces really make nice kindling for a campfire. Unfortunately, in my case, the BIG pieces also make good kindling! :eek: ;) :)

Dale T.

Tom Hurlebaus
05-03-2005, 3:47 PM
Dale,

Peshtigo ...mmmm ... I believe I've been through there a couple of times ....

Thanks for the link ... I've been doing mainly book or mail order patterns of butterflies, angles, etc. and had some fun with compound cutting of Christmas ornaments. I think I've seen Browning's book on creating scroll saw portraits from photographs and I was going to give that a try .... so many projects ... so little time .... Tom

Norman Gallaher
06-16-2005, 1:39 AM
I recently got into scrolling. I read several books, checked out several machines and decided on Delta SS350 was the best I could afford. Are there any particular resources I should seek out to get any furhter information. I am fortunate that I have a WoodCraft store outside my office window. I see there are soooooooooo many different types of blades available for scrolling, Which would be the best to start out with?

I have experience in BS boxes and Lathe work and just thought I wanted to try something new.

John Hart
06-16-2005, 6:44 AM
Norm,

I was out at Charlie's house a few weeks back and watched him do a little scroll work. I know he swears by a flat blade and I must admit, he has it mastered. I personally prefer a spiral. Anyway, his source has turned into my source. Great prices and service. www.mikesworkshop.com (http://www.mikesworkshop.com) for Flying Dutchman blades. I like the #5 spiral reverse. It's a little heftier so it holds truer than the smaller diameters. But, like I said, Charlie uses the flat blades and he get no "walking" at all.
It was kinda cool...He stacks 5 sheets, marks one, and cuts 5 projects at a time.

Rob Bourgeois
06-16-2005, 12:12 PM
My first "portraits" were OK from the front but really bourgeois from the back - bad, BAD workmanship! :( :)
Dale T.

How do you know what the back of my portraits look like. :p

I find that if I use the reverse scroll blades and I change the blades more often ( less thatn 30 mintues of cutting) the backs dont look so Thompson like. ;)

These were my last two portraits that I used on the jewerly box I enterd in woddcentrals contest. (My daughter and my son.)

Dale Thompson
06-16-2005, 9:02 PM
I find that if I use the reverse scroll blades and I change the blades more often ( less thatn 30 mintues of cutting) the backs dont look so Thompson like. ;)

Rob,
OK, bud! How do I REALLY know what the backs of your portraits look like? :confused: I tried "reversing" the saw blades but I don't see too well when I am working with my feet nailed to the ceiling! :eek: :(

Also, how do you keep track of your "minutes" on a given blade? Do you use a stopwatch or a sundial? I'm not a "scroller" but I've always heard that the number of "insertions" for a given blade is pretty important in terms of its life. ;) :)

By the way, BEAUTIFUL JOB ON THE JEWELRY BOXES FOR THE SON AND DAUGHTER!! :) They will be treasures for many years - even if the covered backs are "Thompson like"! :D

Nice work!

Dale T.

Corey Hallagan
06-16-2005, 9:29 PM
Nice work Dale! Scroll saw portraits are something I want to do. This Browning book, will it show you how to take a photo and make a pattern out of it? The Intimidator looks pretty cool! Nice looking frames as well.

Charlie, where do I see the items you were referring to?

Rob, that is a neat little project, same stuff I would like to do. Nice work!

Norman, . I have the same saw and it is a very very good saw. I could afford 4 times what that saw cost but it just doesn't make sense to me to spend that kind of money for hobby work, if I was doing alot of selling and income supplementing that would be different. I was close to getting a dewal, but I went for the Delta, I liked my previous Delta.
I have a collection of different scroll saw books. Some are pretty aged and dont cover the newer techniques and saws. . If you want a good book that addresses everything about the different kind of scroll saws out there, how they work, how to take care of them and how to tweak them, get this book. It is obvious they like the SS350 as they feature it alot in photos. It will tell you all about the different kinds of blades available, wood materials, etc. In the end, there are 7 pretty cool little projects, including a neat little Tounge Drum like Ken has been making. The book is Popular Mechanics - Workshop - Scroll Saw Fundementals - The Complete Guide. By Rick Peters. I got this book from the Wood Workers Book Club, don't know if it is an exclusive or not. Cost about 16.00 and well worth the investment. I have done alot of scroll sawing in the past but want to start doing some of the newer Intarsia and Portrait work. Enjoy your saw !

Corey

Rob Bourgeois
06-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Dale...Its more of a feel thing. When it starts to feel as if you are really having to push the wood into the blade its time to switch. I also just automatically change the blade after 45 minutes of working--I figure that was at least 30 minutes of cutting. I am not a scroller either, but these portraits are great gifts.(I sell a few too.) You could do it by the number of insertions, but some of mine are 10 seconds of cutting while others are 2 minutes.

Try Flying Dutchman blades, they seem to cut better.Also make sure you have the reverse portion of the blade install at the bottom...that way you dont have to stand on your head. :eek: Besides, who cares what the backs look like...sandpaper is your friend. :p

Thanks for the kind words on the jewelry box. It was a blast to make and more importantly my wife loves it.

Dale Thompson
06-19-2005, 3:38 PM
Corey, The answer to your question is YES!! :) Gary may make a bit more use of the computer than some folks are comfortable with but you can pick and choose. He goes through a step-by-step procedure for the conversion. C'MON, Corey, it's only about a buck two-fifty ($15). Spend some of that moth-eaten cash. ;) :)

Rob, the Dutchman rules. As you probably know, Mika answers all emails and phone calls. He also is very free with his advice and opinions. Try to get one of his Flying Dutchman hats. They are neat. I wear my SMC hats six days a week and save the "Dutchman" for Sundays, weddings and funerals. ;) Not too many people dress classier than moi! ;) :)

Dale T.

Corey Hallagan
06-19-2005, 4:23 PM
Hey thanks Dale. That one is on my list. $$$ I know.I know .. squeak squak sqeak!! :) A new PC is on the horizon, any paticular software that is needed to do this?

Corey

Dale Thompson
06-19-2005, 8:29 PM
Hey thanks Dale. That one is on my list. $$$ I know.I know .. squeak squak sqeak!! :) A new PC is on the horizon, any paticular software that is needed to do this?

Corey

Corey,
Gary does mention some software in the book. I'm sure that he will answer your email if you have any specific questions. However, it sounds like any photo editing program will do the job. I haven't gotten into it that deeply to go much beyond the "photo negative for contrast" stage. So far, I've just done a high contrast B&W print. That seems good enough for what I want to do. After all, we are just cutting out the black and leaving the white while making sure that the white pieces are connected in some way. :) By the way, regarding connections, cheat if you have to. Nobody but you will ever know. ;) Good luck and have fun!! :)

Dale T.

Rob Bourgeois
06-19-2005, 9:46 PM
Corey

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements..it usually comes with a scanner if you decide to get one. A scanner is almost a necessity for scroll work unless you have free photocpoies at work. ;) I use the scanner to scan photos beside scanning patterns in and changing there size. I had a good deal of success with it.

Corey Hallagan
06-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks Dale & Rob! Rob, my scanner is as out dated as my PC but will get one when I order the new computer. I also have access to a scanner at work and can convert to most types of files. Thanks!

Corey

Dale Thompson
06-19-2005, 10:40 PM
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements..it usually comes with a scanner if you decide to get one. A scanner is almost a necessity for scroll work unless you have free photocpoies at work. ;) I use the scanner to scan photos beside scanning patterns in and changing there size. I had a good deal of success with it.

Rob,
RIGHT ON! The scanner is great! It also helps to have a home (OK IRS, a BUSINESS) copy machine that will reduce or magnify your pictures! ;) I'm sure glad to see that you WWing folks are finally getting into the high-tech world that I'm in. I've heard that the next step in quantum physics will give us the slide rule! :D I can hardly wait! :cool:

Dale T.