PDA

View Full Version : What tool for securing dishwasher to granite?

Jon McElwain
01-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Okay, it might be a stretch to call this woodworking/general power tools, but I'm thinking there is a power tool solution to my situation??? Let me know if I've got this in the wrong place.

So, we bought a house with granite counter tops. The problem is that the dishwasher was never secured to keep it from tipping when the door is opened. The granite does not have wood inserts, and there is less than 1/4" between the top of the dishwasher and the bottom of the granite. Any thoughts on securing the dishwasher so it does not tip? It does not seem like a good idea to drill into the granite in order to secure the washer with the mounting tabs at the top. What do you think? Anyone have photos of your mounts?

I have included some photos of what I've got going on under there...

Thanks for the help.

Jon

251956 251957 251958 251959

Dave Novak
01-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Your question got me wondering how mine are attached. Heres a pic; don't tell my wife I'm sharing the dirty underside of her countertops with the world. Even though they cracked the cabinet doing it , their method has worked. Be careful.

Darn, the pic needs rotated 90 degrees clockwise, you'll have to tilt your head.

Larry Whitlow
01-21-2013, 1:08 AM
I did this just last year. They make a small braket that you epoxy to the underside of the counter top. These have a small threaded nut that you align with the tabs on your dishwasher. I got mine from the folks who installed my quartz counter top. You might want to check with an appliance shop. My particular dishwasher also allowed me to drive screws through the side into the cabinet face frames. These are covered with stainless steel gromits. From the photos you attached, I don't see that you have that option.

Mike Cutler
01-21-2013, 7:23 AM
Jon

The usual setup I've seen is to anchor the dishwasher to the cabinets on either side.
It may be as simple as installing the anti tip device. This is basically a bracket that screws into the floor and the rear feet of the dishwasher catch it.

Belinda Barfield
01-21-2013, 9:29 AM
One of the systems in the link below should do the trick. I would advise against drilling into the underside of your granite. Securing the sides would be the first option, but many older dishwashers were not designed with side mount clips. If you decide on one of the options shown, Braxton Bragg should sell direct to you. If not, let me know and I'll be glad to order for you as I am "in the trade".

http://www.braxton-bragg.com/index.cfm/m/1/fuseaction/store7products.search?cx=002052156708402726684%3Al 1u1onwtucu&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=dishwasher&sa=Search&storeCircuit=store7&siteurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.braxton-bragg.com%2F

Larry Whitlow
01-21-2013, 4:43 PM
One of the systems in the link below should do the trick. I would advise against drilling into the underside of your granite. Securing the sides would be the first option, but many older dishwashers were not designed with side mount clips. If you decide on one of the options shown, Braxton Bragg should sell direct to you. If not, let me know and I'll be glad to order for you as I am "in the trade".

http://www.braxton-bragg.com/index.cfm/m/1/fuseaction/store7products.search?cx=002052156708402726684%3Al 1u1onwtucu&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=dishwasher&sa=Search&storeCircuit=store7&siteurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.braxton-bragg.com%2F

The clips in your link are what I used.

Your link really caught my attention. My father's name was Braxton Braggs. Not a common combination outside of the south.

Phil Thien
01-21-2013, 5:04 PM
What I've typically seen is a piece of 3/4" thick trim that is applied to the bottom of the granite (the full width of the opening) with adhesive, and then the tabs are screwed into the trim piece.

I'll bet your DW has adjustable feet that have been fully extended, lifting it nearly to the bottom of the counter. If that is the case, and if you can back it down about another 1/2" to 3/4", then you could add a trim piece.

I'd be hesitant to screw into the cabinets at the side, as you wouldn't have much wood in front of the screw and I'd be worried of it splitting out when the dishwasher wants to tip-out when you open the door.

I don't think I'd epoxy inserts to the bottom of the granite personally. I've had to replace dishwashers and the tabs don't always line-up.

Belinda Barfield
01-22-2013, 6:54 AM
The clips in your link are what I used.

Your link really caught my attention. My father's name was Braxton Braggs. Not a common combination outside of the south.

Interesting. Small world. Braxton-Bragg is a good company, I've spent a lot of money with them over the years.