PDA

View Full Version : New Shop, part 3

John Bailey
04-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Started putting the trusses up. Got the first one up only to find out the bottom of the truss was not a straight as it should have been. You haven't lived till you do wood surgery while up on a ladder with saw and hammer in hand and trusting your 18 yr. old son to keep the truss from falling. Took 3 hours to get the first one up, fit and squared up. It took 20 minutes for the second one. Tomorrow I'll be putting up the inside trusses by myself. Don't quite know how to do that, but we'll let you know how it goes.

The pictures are four angles of the building. My wife took the pictures as she is a pretty good photographer and I don't have a clue.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
04-30-2005, 10:51 PM
You're on your way John! Good luck!

Frank Pellow
04-30-2005, 11:18 PM
John, it looks like you are at just about the same stage I was 11 months ago. I hope that you have as much fun with the rest of the construction as I did. :)

But, fixing up the truss as you had to does not sound like fun. :( It must, however, give you satisfaction to have fixed the problem.

John Bailey
05-01-2005, 6:47 AM
11 months, sounds like a long time.

John

John Hart
05-01-2005, 7:00 AM
Looks like the weather is holding up for you this time. It's coming along great John.

John Bailey
05-01-2005, 7:16 AM
We had a good day today, Saturday. We have all the trusses up except the last outside truss. Sunny and warm all day. However, today the forcast is for rain and snow all day. Looks like a good day to travel to get more supplies.

It is a great feeling to have what appears to be a roof over your head. (If you squint your eyes and wait until the sun is just behind the building.) Imagination can be a great thing.

John

Tim Morton
05-01-2005, 7:26 AM
Looking great!! Reminds me of when my garage was being built. We putthe rafters up with a crane and 3 guys. Took about 2 hours. I can't imagine how tired you must have been without the crane or 2 other guys:D Putting on the roof next?

Rob Russell
05-01-2005, 4:16 PM
Actually, I'm sorta curious as to why you didn't put some sheathing on the walls before starting the roof. That plywood (or whatever you're using) is structural - it keeps the walls from racking and I'd have guessed you want to do that before you start putting the trusses up. As my boss used to say - "It's your heifer."

John Bailey
05-01-2005, 8:49 PM
Bob,

I'll be putting diagonal t&g siding on the shop and won't be needing to sheath it for stability. We've got it well braced. We check often for square and haven't had a problem yet. I'll be using "wind braces" then a vapor barrier followed by the siding.

Of course, the real reason I didn't put sheathing up first is that I don't really know what I'm doing. I just know I'm having a bang-up good time doing it.

John

lou sansone
05-01-2005, 8:54 PM
looking good... this is part of the fun! keep up the good work.

lou

Michael Gibbons
05-02-2005, 4:18 PM
I'll have to keep an eye on your project since I will start my adventure next spring. How big is it? Details, man, details.

Mark Singer
05-02-2005, 4:22 PM
Very nice shop! Great lot....the beggining of the love affair...:rolleyes:

Mike Vermeil
05-02-2005, 4:23 PM
I was in East Jordan 12 or 13 years ago John. Beautiful place. I believe I was up there to look at a Dura Automotive plant.

Seems like there was quite a hub-bub a while back about your method of foundation. What did you finally decide on?

Jeff Sudmeier
05-02-2005, 5:05 PM
She sure is starting to look like a shop! You are doing a great job on it!

John Bailey
05-02-2005, 8:55 PM
Mike,

The shop is 20'x20'. It will have 8.5' walls. A unique feature will be a metal roof on the South side, but a tinted plastic roof on the North side. We have that on our house and although it presents some insulation problems, it's nothing we haven't been able to live with and the light is fantastic. I build dulcimers, kayaks, kayak paddles and small boats. I've got six weeks to get it enclosed and weather tight as I spend the summers guiding sea kayak trips in
Greece with my wife. I won't be able to work on it till I get back in August. I spent this winter with no shop and it killed me. I sold my 9 kayaks and kayak trailer to build this shop, so I need to get it done so I can build a kayak during the winter.

John Bailey
05-02-2005, 9:10 PM
I was in East Jordan 12 or 13 years ago John. Beautiful place. I believe I was up there to look at a Dura Automotive plant.

Seems like there was quite a hub-bub a while back about your method of foundation. What did you finally decide on?

Mike,

I was hoping y'all had forgotten the "hub-bub." Well, I took my shots the first time, so here goes. I wanted a wood foundation without using treated lumber. I've gone with pine. (I'll start ducking now.) The foundation sits on 1/4 inch crushed stone 3 feet deep. The entire foundation is protected by foundation plastic directing any moisture away from the foundation. In addition, the landscaping around the shop will have a slope to direct any run-off away from the building. I realize this is lunacy and I fully expect the building to fall over at some time in the future. I'll deal with it. But if it doesn't, the satisfaction of sticking to my principles will be great. So, ready, aim, fire.

Jim Becker
05-02-2005, 9:15 PM
John, if you can keep it dry and keep the bugs way...it will last for some time. Mitigating the threats is most important to that end and it appears you're planning for that.

Your shop is looking good! And you're making good time now.

John Hart
05-02-2005, 9:15 PM
John,

I feel that you've identified the proper method of natural earthquake shock absorbtion. I'd say you're quite the visionary. ;)

John Bailey
05-03-2005, 1:41 PM
Jim,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. (However, I'm keeping my fencing facemask on for the time being.) After discussing the problem of bugs with local builders, it appears that is not a problem in this locale. The minus 30 and 40 degree temperatures seems to take its toll. We have a small horse shed that's been sitting on the ground for 28 yrs. and we still use it.