PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Controls, et al....

Richard Jones
01-20-2013, 5:52 PM
Last week or so I asked about mounting my remote controls for my lathe. After a lot of temporary Beta-testing and rigging, here's what I came up with. It's not shown, but I have a standard "light" switch on magnets that rides on the face of the front ways, for on/off operation. The remote is now mounted on an old lamp gooseneck, attached to a piece of fiberglass angle, which is attached to the headstock. I have my 2 Moffatt's mounted on the angle, plus a small magnet strip for most-used calipers, and holders for shellac and friction polish, tho' I rarely use the friction polish. So far, very handy and no down sides. If the headstock moves, so does everything else.

Thanks to all for their input, and I would be glad to hear more.

Rich251893

Nate Davey
01-20-2013, 6:10 PM
Nice Richard,

I remoted my 1642 in a very similar fashion. I mounted two magnets to the back of the box so I could move it where ever I wanted. I, typically, put it on the lathe where I was working so I could turn off the lathe with my hip so I didn't have to take my hands off the tool. I love the support structure you have there, looks very ergonomic!

Mike Cruz
01-21-2013, 6:53 AM
Richard, I too, like Nate, have my on/off, pot, and fwd/rev on a magnetic remote that I put on the front of my lathe so I can hip check it to turn it off if I want/need. But I like your set up for lights and other stuff. I'd like to see more pics (differenet angles) and larger images (so I can actually see what is going on...this pic is a bit small, so it is difficult to see what is going on.

One question: My concern would be when/if there is vibration in your headstock from an out of balance blank, or when roughing out something large...therefore getting all that stuff to shimmy and shake. Have you noticed any issue with that yet?

Richard Jones
01-21-2013, 7:27 AM
Richard, I too, like Nate, have my on/off, pot, and fwd/rev on a magnetic remote that I put on the front of my lathe so I can hip check it to turn it off if I want/need. But I like your set up for lights and other stuff. I'd like to see more pics (differenet angles) and larger images (so I can actually see what is going on...this pic is a bit small, so it is difficult to see what is going on.

One question: My concern would be when/if there is vibration in your headstock from an out of balance blank, or when roughing out something large...therefore getting all that stuff to shimmy and shake. Have you noticed any issue with that yet?

Mike,

Pics are on my list of TTD today. Haven't noticed any shimmy/shake, but will throw a big green blank on there this morning and see what happens. In the past, items that were just sitting up on the headstock would walk a bit with vibration, but not to the point of abandonment of the idea.

Pics just as soon as the cough syrup kicks in...................

Richard Jones
01-21-2013, 9:01 AM
OK, here are some pics of my lathe rigging.............

This pic shows my platform on top of the headstock. I believe I got this idea from the MustardMonster site, not sure. I modified it somewhat and added another shelf on the left side to house some attachments. Additional structural support by the screw at the spindle lock cover plate.

This pic shows backside of platform attachments, one at the cage pivot, one at the headstock release handle, one attached to the previous. I did have to relocate the heatsink, no big deal.

I cut a short section of 4x4 to mount on the platform at the rear, to give some needed height to the angle attachment, so as to clear the DC big gulp, which is mounted on the side of the platform on a T-track. I have a bunch of this structural fiberglass angle left from sewage treatment plant days, so putting it to good use. Moffatts are mounted to this, as is the gooseneck for the remote and finish bottles........Also have installed a magnet strip to the front for my most-used calipers.

This pic is front of the rig, showing the gooseneck attachment with custom fittings. No expense was spared in the manufacture of these fittings.............

This shows my custom DC fittings, along with my on/off switch at the right.

Backside of the on/off switch. Beveled the part with the 4 magnets so that it would fit the curved part of the ways.

I added this shelf, which gets used mostly for tool storage for the project at hand. Comes off easily, no tools required, in case of, well, whatever. Attachment is notched for TS removal. A very handy feature.

While I'm showing, here's my sanding rig. Spotted a piece of velcro on a small spacer (so I can get my fingers around/under the disk to pull it off). Sandpaper goes in the PVC tubes above. A real timesaver. All of it is just above head high, so I can't bump it, but still very accessible.

I'm always looking to improve my set up to make it more efficient, so have at it..............

And glad to answer any questions about this, if you have any

Mike Cruz
01-21-2013, 9:39 AM
Richard, thanks for the pics and tour!! Everything looks very well thought out. Of course what works for you might not work for others and vice versa. But you certainly made your lathe much more user friendly! Maybe manufactuers will start making lathes like this...so we won't have to keep pimping our lathes. :rolleyes:

Richard Jones
01-21-2013, 9:52 AM
?............Of course what works for you might not work for others and vice versa.

Mike,

Exactly why I'm hesitant to post something like this. I am always fearful that I will come across as "This is THE WAY and should never be changed". Nothing could be further from my mind. Just want to share what works for me, it might work for others, maybe not, but it does get the thought processes going, eh?

But you certainly made your lathe much more user friendly! Maybe manufactuers will start making lathes like this...so we won't have to keep pimping our lathes. :rolleyes:

Hey, I modify everything, I think that's one reason I like turning so much. There's always a problem, big or small, to overcome and it forces us to improvise. I enjoy pimping. There, I've said it, out of the closet now, for sure.

:)

Mike Cruz
01-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Hehe, Richard, I'm a closet pimper myself...

Hey, your post didn't come across as "this is the way everyone should do it" at all. I read it as "this is what I came up with...". Great job!