PDA

View Full Version : Warped tablesaw extension table fix?

Scott Driemel
01-20-2013, 4:46 PM
I recently bought a new "old" unisaw from a chaps basement. Had been there 13 years, still in package. Got it home, set it up, and wouldn't you know it the right side (large) extension table is warped. Not much maybe a bow 1/4" across it's length primarily in the middle of it. This is the stock delta table. Laminiate top, tortion box. MDFalong with some cheap looking softwood product. It looks like a million, I'd love to keep it but it's got that bow. I tried setting a Planer on it for a few weeks, didn't affect the bow. The table of course bolts to the angle iron rails for the fence. My question is; is it salvageable or am I doomed to rip it out, and re-make a new one? If I have to make a new one I'd certaily make a more skookum version. My excalibur overhead DC bolts to the one end of it and it has already bent the wooden end from the weight of the arm so the excalibur sags. The end piece is as I mentioned a piece of 1X4 cheap looking softwood (or maybe a n/k hardwood material. Has anyone worked from a plan to redo their extension table with a good tortion box design or something that can stand the stress of hanging the very heavey weight / leverage from the excalibur? Such a shame, I was thrilled with my purchase and let me tell you, the stock new Delta side extension "looks" like a million but whew .. it appears it really is pretty feeble. The extension table of course looks great but it has laminate only on one side, naturally to save money in manufacturing but it might well have hastened this warping issue.

Joe Kieve
01-20-2013, 6:58 PM
Just thinking out loud here. Could you screw some 1 1/2 angle iron or square tubing the the underside and pull the warp out. It would take several pieces. Might just make it salvagable. Maybe others will chime in.

joe

johnny means
01-20-2013, 7:00 PM
A few plywood ribs should straighten things right out. A few feet if angle iron would do an even better job.

Steven Satur
01-20-2013, 7:08 PM
1/4" is a lot. Can you get the middle flush with the saw table and tighten the bolt as tight as you can then try to pull the ends up with clamps? You might not get it close at first but over a few days you might be able to clamp it up tighter till flush.
Or the middle and one end flush, then clamp the free end to raise it.

Steve