PDA

View Full Version : 3 phase bandsaw question

John Bailey
01-20-2013, 3:39 PM
I'm considering selling my beloved Oliver 192-D 18" bandsaw. It's a monster and a pleasure to work with, but I'm going to need more resawing capacity and more power.

i was considering the Grizzly 513 models. It'll do everything I need. However, I notice they have a three phase version in the 514 models. The 1 hp. direct drive on my Oliver is 3 phase and very smooth. It is massive compared to new motors. It brings a smile every time I turn it on. I use a VFD to get the 3 phase and that is very useful also.

Does anyone have experience with the Grizzly 3 phase? Are they smoother than the single phase? Since I've already got the VFD, if there are benefits to having the 3 phase I'll probably go for the 514. Price won't be the deciding factor.

Thanks for any input.

John

Steven Satur
01-20-2013, 3:53 PM
I had a 192 D awhile back. That is a nice saw, why not look for a bigger older saw. You know the quality back then is better then today.

Steve

David Kumm
01-20-2013, 3:59 PM
John, I think the smooth factor is more a function of the direct drive and the cast iron than the three phase. The low rpm motor has more torque than the 1750 rpm you are likely to find on the new. Steel saws have a different feel due to the frame material but you want the heaviest cast iron wheels to give you the more of the feel you are used to. I'm assuming the 217 is too big for you as there are few new saws that will compare. Tanny made a PH 24" which is the smallest CI resaw machine I know of. I've Y20 snowflake and it is like your 192 on steroids but not a resaw.. The strongest steel small saws are the MM 16 and 20 for resawing. Keep in mind that for resawing with a belt driven saw you are looking at more like 5 hp so your vfd might not work. Dave

John Bailey
01-20-2013, 4:21 PM
John, I think the smooth factor is more a function of the direct drive and the cast iron than the three phase. The low rpm motor has more torque than the 1750 rpm you are likely to find on the new. Steel saws have a different feel due to the frame material but you want the heaviest cast iron wheels to give you the more of the feel you are used to. I'm assuming the 217 is too big for you as there are few new saws that will compare. Tanny made a PH 24" which is the smallest CI resaw machine I know of. I've Y20 snowflake and it is like your 192 on steroids but not a resaw.. The strongest steel small saws are the MM 16 and 20 for resawing. Keep in mind that for resawing with a belt driven saw you are looking at more like 5 hp so your vfd might not work. Dave

I had a 192 D awhile back. That is a nice saw, why not look for a bigger older saw. You know the quality back then is better then today.

Steve

i would love to get into a bigger vintage machine. I have a small shop and the weight of the Oliver 192 is about as much as I trust on the 2x6 floor joists. I thought about a walker turner, but I just can't get excited about their looks. What I'd like is a 20" version of the the 192 with a direct drive 2-3 hp 3 ph.

It's going to be hard to part with this gem, but its not meeting my needs.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Oliver%20192/IMGP1663.jpghttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k301/JohnBailey_01/Oliver%20192/IMGP1665.jpg

David Kumm
01-20-2013, 4:51 PM
I'd keep it and look for a used MM, Bridgewood, Felder, ACM, etc. I don't remember what the 192 weighs. 217 is about 1600 and Y20 is about 1100-1200. Older 24" steel saws with 14" or so resaw height are nice. Newer ones tend to be high due to resaw wars. That is a great saw for everything else and is all ready drilled for Zambus casters. Dave