PDA

View Full Version : Tail Stock Swing/Lift

Steve Doerr
01-20-2013, 3:28 PM
I've been looking at the idea of getting a tail stock swing/lift for my 1642. I have seen a couple of plans and a couple of aftermarket products but not many that I have really liked. I did find the "Down n' out" (http://jtturningtools.com/tailstockmanager) from JT Turning tools. Is anyone familiar with this device or done business with this company? Also, if you know of other manufactures or plans, I would really appreciate you input.

Thanks, and Happy Turning,
Steve

George Morris
01-20-2013, 3:41 PM
Steve they are a good company, that looks like a great product. I made one for my 3520 . I found plans on the Mustard Monster web site. Check it out. I use it every time I do a bowl ,works great! G

Jerry Marcantel
01-20-2013, 4:41 PM
Try this link. There are a bunch of ways to do what trying to get info on....... Jerry (in Tucson) https://docs.google.com/document/preview?id=1nS7DMNH08jzP-MCzb9hzpjlpn6JIUkBwr4tjcFJmdns&pli=1)

Bruce Stangeby
01-20-2013, 6:32 PM
I have the JT tool swinger on my Powermatic lathe and love it. It's a good company to deal with.

Steve Mawson
01-20-2013, 6:42 PM
Tom, the JT manager-owner is a great guy. Always easy to talk with and has good ideas that help with questions. I don't have that particular piece but have several other items made by JT. The quality is top notch.

Dick Mahany
01-20-2013, 6:46 PM
Here's a home made version on a Jet 1642. I decided that I wanted a pivot rather than a rear swing design for when I use a captured hollowing frame. I have used this extensively and it sure is a nice convenience.

Thomas Canfield
01-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Here's a home made version on a Jet 1642. I decided that I wanted a pivot rather than a rear swing design for when I use a captured hollowing frame. I have used this extensively and it sure is a nice convenience.

That is quite a swing arrangement. You must have access to some good welding and also machine shop. Looks like a production unit.

Joe Herrmann
01-21-2013, 8:34 AM
David Reed Smith reviewed the tool from JT Turning Tools in the last issue if Woodturning Design Magazine.

Steve Doerr
01-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks all for your responses. I really appreciate the different links and ideas that you gave me. I will check our the article in Woodturning Design. If I decide to build one I now have some great ideas and examples to look at.

Dick, yours is one heck of a homemade swing. Like Tom said, you must have access to a machine shop or you have one heck of some cool toys:-)

Steve

Richard Jones
01-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Don't know about this TS thingy, but I did get my vacuum setup from them (JT) and they were first class.

Dick, that is a great looking piece of work.

Dick Mahany
01-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks all for your responses. I really appreciate the different links and ideas that you gave me. I will check our the article in Woodturning Design. If I decide to build one I now have some great ideas and examples to look at.

Dick, yours is one heck of a homemade swing. Like Tom said, you must have access to a machine shop or you have one heck of some cool toys:-)

Steve

Thanks alot. I do have a MIG welder, but only basic skills. I had the structural metal cut to length at the metal/salvage yard and used a hand held jig saw for the sheet pieces. Since I didn't have any means to have precision parts made, I just tacked pieces together on the lathe, trimmed to fit as neccessary, and removed it for the final welding. The welding is actually pretty ugly close up.:o

I think any device to get the tail stock off the bed easily is a tremendous convenience and worth doing. The JT unit looks nice and well built and I also think the others mentioned in this thread look like excellent alternatives........Good luck with which ever way you decide to go.

Don Orr
01-22-2013, 12:39 PM
I have a JT Down-n-Out on my Jet 1642 and it works extremely well. Communication is sometimes spotty but I am happy with their product.