PDA

View Full Version : From "Trash to Treasure"

Donny Lawson
01-20-2013, 2:20 PM
I found an Oak table leg last week at work that was being throwed in the trash and I saw some potential so I brought it home. The guys at work think I'm crazy for bringing odd things home so I'm going to take this back to work and show what can be made from trash. It turned into a nice Birdhouse ornament and a Bell ornament. I still have one more good piece for another project. I have plenty of wood but making something from "Trash wood" makes it better.

Roger Chandler
01-20-2013, 2:23 PM
Awesome Donny! Way to go!

paul vechart
01-20-2013, 2:35 PM
Nice job recycling the wood...the ornaments turned out great!

Brian Kent
01-20-2013, 3:11 PM
Good job, Danny.

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2013, 9:52 PM
Great job Donny. Ornaments look great.

Thomas Canfield
01-20-2013, 10:24 PM
It looks like you and I shop the same streets in different states. It is amazing what can be done with scrap or trash. I hope you have a good metal detector - it can save a lot of problems and keep down the cost of the wood by not replacing blades, bits, etc.

Anthony Diodati
01-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Beautiful! The heck with them guys. I used to find stuff all the time, esp. in Pittsburgh when I was reading meters. It's kind of different in this area though.
One time a guy Gave me, Gave me... a 7 foot 30 inch deep 1 1/2" thick butcher block type bench top, and this jerk at work said it was junk.

Thomas Heck
01-20-2013, 11:01 PM
I like those, how did you put your clapper in the bell. And, how to you hold the bird houses as you turn when nearly finished.

Rodney Walker
01-21-2013, 2:39 AM
Nice job on the ornament. I work with salvaged (more like scavenged in my case) wood too. Nothing wrong with it and don't let the guys you work with tell you different.
Rodney

Donny Lawson
01-21-2013, 9:34 AM
[QUOTE=Thomas Heck;2043429]I like those, how did you put your clapper in the bell. And, how to you hold the bird houses as you turn when nearly finished.

Thomas, The birdhouse is done in one complete turning. This is a picture of it on the lathe. I usually have the tailstock in the opening for support. Just snug it up to the top, then work on the bottom. Make sure you sand before you part it off at about 500rpm. I usually sand to 400 grit.