PDA

View Full Version : Odd Bench Design

Dave Novak
01-20-2013, 11:59 AM
About a year ago I moved and lost my workbench in the process. I've been using a festool MFT3 ever since, and I've really come to like everything about it except the small size, and to a lesser extent the lack of weight/stout-ness. I really like the ability to clamp anything to it any where and any way necessary. I'm in the preliminary stages of planning my new bench and thought I'd ask you guys for some ideas. This is my 1st sketchup drawing, it's awful and only offered to give you an idea what I'm thinking about.

It's designed to hold 3 MFT3 MDF tops within a 3 5/8" high (since that's the height of my vise) hard maple frame. Maple is 8/4, probably cleaned up to about 1 5/8". Overall length is 88", width is 46 5/8". The 2 flat cross members are where I plan to attach a Noden adjust-a-bench leg set. Anything inherently wrong with this design? Think it will be heavy/stable enough? If you think this is just a bad idea don't hesitate to say so. Thanks.

ian maybury
01-20-2013, 1:11 PM
Think it depends a lot on what you want to use it for. The weight and solidity of solid timber is important for hand tool work - cutting down with chisels and the like. Less so for power tools.

Would 3x MFT not be horribly expensive too?

Would it not be an option to drill a grid of dog holes in a more conventional solid top?

ian

Dave Novak
01-20-2013, 1:29 PM
Think it depends a lot on what you want to use it for. The weight and solidity of solid timber is important for hand tool work - cutting down with chisels and the like. Less so for power tools.

Would 3x MFT not be horribly expensive too?

Yes, it will be expensive

Would it not be an option to drill a grid of dog holes in a more conventional solid top?

ian

That's certainly an option I've considered, but the bench top, regardless of the material used, can only be about 5/8" thick in order for the clamps to work. Unless there's a similar functioning clamp that can be used on a 3+" thick top that I'm unaware of.

Dave Novak
01-20-2013, 1:33 PM
This is where I got the idea. I don't plan on running the MFT style frame around the outside though. I just like all the holes for clamping. And the giant flat top for assembly.

Jim Matthews
01-20-2013, 5:58 PM
That's a great deal of holes to drill.

On the current top you have - do you find yourself using all the holes, or do some get used more than others?
Allen Little (askwoodman.com) has built an "Ultimate" worktable that uses simple sawhorse legs and a laminate top over a metal frame.

He employed Wilson Art laminate over 3/4 plywood on a steel framework.
If you like the MFT style clamping system, this might be worth a look-see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG0_pb_tXus

Dave Novak
01-20-2013, 7:15 PM
Thanks Jim, I enjoyed the vid. Puts an exclamation point behind my desire for an MFT style bench.