PDA

View Full Version : Recent Cabinet Saw Purcheses...Sawstop

Alan See
04-30-2005, 9:14 PM
I'm sure some of you are rolling your eyes at the prospect of yet another Sawstop thread:rolleyes: , but this one is a little different. I have noticed that a good chunk of the new saw gloats lately have involved Sawstops. That got me to wondering about market share among the various brands of cabinet saw. Is SS just a drop in the bucket? Or has SS taken a significant chunk of the business from the other guys? So here is my question: Who out there has purchased a NEW (not used) cabinet saw in the last 6 months or so, and what brand is it? I know that the data won't be statistically accurate, but it will give us all some idea about the effect -if any - that Sawstop is having in the marketplace.

Alan See
04-30-2005, 9:15 PM
Okay, I'll start. Sawstop with 3hp and 52"fence.

Jerry Clark
04-30-2005, 9:18 PM
NO NAME Tiawan cabinet saw, with a 50 inch Biesi clone, 3hp.

Dave Wright #2
04-30-2005, 9:47 PM
SawStop 3 HP 36" fence

Kent Parker
04-30-2005, 9:56 PM
General International 3 hp with General fence (like beis) 50" rails

Jeff Pilcher
04-30-2005, 9:59 PM
Craftsman 22124 with 30" Bies

Bill Hughes
04-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Craftsman 22124 with 30" biesemeyer

Dave Wright #2
04-30-2005, 10:07 PM
Bet the 22124s and its fence variant cousins are going to smoke the rest of the field. Might be as many of them as all others combined.

Effie Lever
04-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Craftsman 22124 with the Bies, you said it Dave.

Glen Blanchard
04-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Jet with 30" Xacta.

Ken Waag
04-30-2005, 11:37 PM
SawStop on the way. Jet JTAS cabinet saw hits the auction block (its been a good machine).

Dev Emch
04-30-2005, 11:41 PM
I think that the used saws should also be included. Saws like used olivers are always flying off the dealers floor. The demand for these usually outstrips the supply. Good quality martin T-17s are also easy to sell. Unisaws and PM66 saws are also usually not lacking for buyers.

Alan See
04-30-2005, 11:59 PM
Dev, Used saw sales would not affect the manufacturer's current market share. I agree that a big chunk of saw purcheses are of better used equipment. In reality, I bet Delta and Powermatic loose a bigger chunk of their sales to their own used equipment than they do to all the new saw sales combined. But I'd like to focus on the new saw market. In fairness, I also understand that newly introduced models like the Craftsman and Sawstop will temporarily out-sell established models. So maybe we should run another survey a year from now, and see what changes occur. We could count used saw sales at that time, since the SS and Craftsman will have found their way on to the used market by then.

Dennis McDonaugh
05-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Jet JTAS here with 30 inch Bies fence (wish I had room for the 52")

Dev Emch
05-01-2005, 1:55 AM
I normally buy used... second, third, forth hand, etc. This time, its another asset for business but I cannot help it if I need to "test a few things out" on the weekend and after hours:):) This beast is in process.... custom order and I will hate the next tax season!!!! It will take several months to build and ship and deliver. My shaper took almost one year. I do wish to thank all those who work in the securities market, hollywood, and of course doctors and lawyers who like the ski dream of our mountains. Your the source of the new gold rush. Thanks Guys!

Dan Forman
05-01-2005, 3:15 AM
Delta Unisaw with 50" Unifence.

Dan

Matt Allan
05-01-2005, 3:30 AM
Powermatic 66, 5HP w/ 50"

Just got it put together, not even wired yet. Guess I will gloat it once its up and running :)

Kevin Post
05-01-2005, 7:38 AM
Jet 3HP with 52" Xacta fence.

Alan Turner
05-01-2005, 8:32 AM
As soon as the roof is buttoned up on the new building, a SawStop will be ordered. It is to be, in part, a teaching studio, so I htink it is the prudent choice.

Mike Deschler
05-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Another 22124 with the Biesemeyer fence.

Alan See
05-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Thread Update. So far, the Sawstop and the Craftsman 22124 are tied for the current hottest-selling cabinet saw, With Jet hot on their heels. I was surprised at how few new Unisaws and PM66s have been purchased. Maybe that's because there are so many used ones available. That's the down side of making an indestructable product.

Dev, You definitely win the "coolest saw" competition.:cool:

David Elliott
05-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Craftsman 22124 with 30" Bies

Roy Wall
05-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Thread Update. So far, the Sawstop and the Craftsman 22124 are tied for the current hottest-selling cabinet saw, With Jet hot on their heels. I was surprised at how few new Unisaws and PM66s have been purchased. Maybe that's because there are so many used ones available. That's the down side of making an indestructable product.

Dev, You definitely win the "coolest saw" competition.:cool:

I wonder what the poll would be like if everyone was given $2500 to invest in a TS? I imagine a very, very high percentage would obtain a SS.

I'm looking @ the contractor SS model; but won't be available till late fall 05 at best...

Mark Carlson
05-02-2005, 1:41 PM
General 650, 3hp, 50in fence.

Jim Barrett
05-02-2005, 2:01 PM
General 350-1 3HP 50 in General (Biesmeyer) fence

JOSEPH GOVEA
05-02-2005, 7:13 PM
SawStop 3hp, w 52" fence.:)

John Shuk
05-02-2005, 7:19 PM
Delta Unisaw with 50 inch Biesi fence

Jay Knepper
05-02-2005, 7:49 PM
A Sawstop with a 52" fence is on the way.

I had been seriously looking at cabinet saws to upgrade my PM64A. Talking about options with LOML, her reaction was pretty much identical to Per's dad's!

Given the multiple innovations in the SawStop design and the new Sears model, (and the numbers in this poll) I'm thinking that we may soon see some major improvements in the tool industry. If we're lucky it will be similar to the one that finally gave us higher quality cars out of Detroit.

Chris Mann
05-02-2005, 8:43 PM
I bought a bridgedwood 10lts a few months ago.

Dev Emch
05-02-2005, 8:59 PM
I am still waiting for the rest of the world to catch up with the germans. (That includes the austrians and the swiss by the way as they too speak german).

As for Detroit... Yup, we sure did get some nice vehcicles... The Hummer H1, the Escalade, the Expedition, the Surburban. The US companies just keep belly aching and complaining. And in so doing, they eat up precious time doing nothing until its too late. Owners are/should be dumping these gas pigs on the market before you have to scrap them now that it costs 100 bucks to fill up. And business sense? GM just lost a billion dollars or so and has no major action in the hybrid market. What I want to see is a 4 cylinder turbo diesel-electric hybrid that can score 70 miles or better to the gallon on bio-mix. But I cannot take credit for this as the germans are already there.

Powermatic is no longer in McMinville, TN. They are an adjunct in one of the major Jet distribution centers in the south. This the result of DeVlieg Bullard going belly up. Since the judge required DB to jettison the powermatic group, the only company actually making money under DB at the time, DB has since filed two more chapter 11s and is now owned by yet another service group and the new service name is DeVlieg Bullard II. Who knows where the positive cash flow is comming from. Powermatic is more and more turning to jet solutions in gold paint to keep going.

As for Delta. Well, I was sniffing around the Tupelo auction looking for machine tools. This one still blows me away. The entire Tupelo plant is now empty.. no more US flag unisaws or bandsaws. I need to give Delta credit where credit is do. The DJ-15 and DJ-20 are down right RIGHTOUS jointers. They did an awsome job designing and building these in the DEDICATED ISO-9001 DELTA plant in taiwan. I would like to see more openness and better metalurgy. But now that BIG YELLOW owns Delta and porter cable, its a wait and see game to see what happens. Dewalts only real staionary tool was the hybrid and this may be an attempt to kill two birds with one stone. First, its a good way of eating up your major competiion, i.e. Porter Cable. Second, its an excellent way of getting into the stationary market since the major obstacle to doing this is quick and economic market penetration. A third possible outcome is that Black & Decker is looking for yet another name. When I was a child, Black & Decker was *THE* tool to buy. I even have a 1961 Black & Decker circular saw with the price tag of $49.95 still written on it with a sharpie marker. As their quality went down, they bought the DeWalt name and changed its market focus. They relied on its fame and notoriety to sell the yellow line to professional users. They may be looking do the same with generic import machines. I sincerly doubt that you will find US flags on these machines. As it stands, the only true US builder still left is Northfield. Fancy That! Of over 300 companies, it was northfield that won the lottery of last man standing.

Both northfield and general of canada are job shopping to other markets to keep the cash comming in. General actually makes transmission towers for quebec hydro inbetween the sparser and sparser orders. Its a shame as they built some awsome machines! I still own two of them. A drill press and a tiny band saw. I used to have a 20 inch planer and actually picked it up in the Drummondville plant in person. I sold this to a guy in AZ who makes 50 cal rifles for the government or something like that.

I think its clear to say that the chinese and taiwanese have learned to make the ubiqitous unisaw with increasing quality and precision. And they can do it for much less than here. What we have here are marketing and distribution groups who OEM these from overseas. In general, same machine, different color and moniker tag.

What we truely need is a new table saw. Not just samo samo with a blade stop but a new table saw. There has to be a good compromise area between the top end and the area where the unisaw and PM66 used to dominate. I find it difficult and frustrating that I have to go to europe to find what I need to do my job with accuracy, safety and speed! Come on guys, give me the tools I need without forcing us to pay through the nose and everywhere else! Yes, the T-73 will do a great job for us, but it is also hidiously expensive, as large as a compact automobile and as heavy as a Hummer. Cannt we get something a bit more reasonable? Like a T-73 LIGHT?

Just some observations from a guy who has seen more tench time then he wishes....