PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for adding wheels to table saw base

Staffan Hamala
01-20-2013, 5:46 AM
I'm planning on adding wheels to my table saw to make it easier to move. I want to add wheels to two of the legs, to be able to lift one end and move it around almost like a wheelbarrow or a hand truck.

My table saw has a wooden base, and I have two different ideas, one which requires cutting two of the legs a bit shorter than the other legs.

One idea is to make something like this:

I found the picture on the Internet. The problem is that I have no metal working skills or tools, so I would have to make it out of wood. It might work, but I have another idea as well.

I made a quick Sketchup drawing. Drill a hole through two of the legs. Insert a threaded rod, add some washers and nuts as needed, and a wheel on each side. To keep the table level, I'd need to cut a short bit off the legs, so that the table rests on the wheels (I've marked where to cut in the drawings).

The first option might make the table more stable, as it always stands on four legs, and the wheels only engage the floor when lifted in the other end. But I don't think this will be a problem.

What do you think? Anyone made anything similar?

Charlie Barnes
01-20-2013, 7:53 AM
Staffan,

I think either would work. You don't say, but I'm assuming we're talking about a contractor saw since you reference "legs". I did something similar to the first idea with my old contractor saw many years ago and it worked pretty well. My Grizzly planer uses a version of this principle with three wheels, one of which you lever up/down when you need to move it.

One consideration is how how smooth is your floor? If it has a lot of irregularities or really large expansion joints, then you need to have relatively larger wheels to handle that. There are commercial mobile bases around that run anywhere from $80 on up. Another inexpensive alternative that I found and adapted to a workbench is this retracting caster solution. (I hope it's OK to post the link.) I did have to make wooden "wedges" for them to operate correctly since my bench legs are not angled like on a saw. I also had to beef up the casters since my bench weighs a lot more than a contactor saw. But they work well and might be a more cost effective solution for you. Good luck.

Charlie

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2003703/2023/woodriver-retracting-casters.aspx

George Bokros
01-20-2013, 7:58 AM
Woodcraft has a wheel kit on sale for $40. I have them on my saw and just put them on my planner. They a little bit of a tripping hazard on the planer but on the saw they are completely under the table.

Staffan Hamala
01-20-2013, 9:07 AM
Staffan,
I think either would work. You don't say, but I'm assuming we're talking about a contractor saw since you reference "legs". I did something similar to the first idea with my old contractor saw many years ago and it worked pretty well. My Grizzly planer uses a version of this principle with three wheels, one of which you lever up/down when you need to move it.

It's an old Inca Major table saw, like this one (from the link below):
http://forums.finewoodworking.com/classifieds/sale/inca-major-table-saw (http://forums.finewoodworking.com/classifieds/sale/inca-major-table-saw)

Staffan,
One consideration is how how smooth is your floor? If it has a lot of irregularities or really large expansion joints, then you need to have relatively larger wheels to handle that. There are commercial mobile bases around that run anywhere from $80 on up. Another inexpensive alternative that I found and adapted to a workbench is this retracting caster solution. (I hope it's OK to post the link.) I did have to make wooden "wedges" for them to operate correctly since my bench legs are not angled like on a saw. I also had to beef up the casters since my bench weighs a lot more than a contactor saw. But they work well and might be a more cost effective solution for you. Good luck.

Thanks! Will have a look at the alternative as well.

I guess I should go for large wheels, as, while the workshop floor is rather smooth, I plan to move the saw outdoors for larger jobs during summertime. I've done that before, and it's nice to leave all dust outdoors. But without wheels, you need two people to move the saw through doors and other obstacles.

Jim O'Dell
01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
It's a shame Home Depot doesn't have the Herc-U-Lifts anymore. I bought several when they were closing them out since it works so well on the Ridgid contractor saw I have. It wouldn't be too hard to build one out of wood or even some square steel tubing. Wouldn't have to weld anything. 4 casters and a stockade fence gate latch would do it. Jim.

Joseph Tarantino
01-20-2013, 2:33 PM
while i agree about teh herc-u-lift ( i have 2 saws on them and one stowed away for the future, that motor on staffan's TS looks to be mounted rather low. there might not be enough room for the mechanism to retract when it's in the "at rest" position. perhaps the h-lift like user fabricated unit featured a few years ago in either shopnotes or woodsmith, which functioned almost as well as the h-lift, would do.