PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad picture for Granite?

David Rust
01-19-2013, 8:18 PM
Is this a bad pic for an engraving on Granite? I've tried a couple of different things that didn't work out, now I think the pic is not detailed enough... Can a black dog be successfully engraved on black granite?

Dan Hintz
01-19-2013, 10:09 PM
It could use a lot of contrast work, but it's doable... I wouldn't expect to put that right to stone, however.

Dee Gallo
01-19-2013, 10:22 PM
I would take that into PhotoShop and use the shadow/highlight tool to increase the detail in the black fur. Delete the top of the background and you might have a chance. The snow is not really helping...

walter hofmann
01-20-2013, 5:05 AM
Hi there
i do lots of granit engraving and have to say this is a bad picture you can not get a good engraving out of this even if you manipulate it.
with dark animals is mostly a problem.
greetings
walt

Cindy Rhoades
01-21-2013, 3:16 PM
I think it is workable if the resolution of the picture is good. I recently did two 12x12 black marble plaques of black pugs, they turned out awesome. The first picture on granite I ever did was of my Rottweiller and it turned out great. Black animals should not be a problem unless you have absolutely no detail in the picture or fur then you would have a problem.

Cindy Rhoades
01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Here is a picture of a plaque I did for a customer. It is a black pug. No I did not use any ink to bring out the picture this is just engraved no touch up.

David Rust
01-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Excellent job Cindy! It really came out great!

Cindy Rhoades
01-24-2013, 9:51 AM
Thanks David. I run a lot of marble and granite photos of pets and people plus cars. I do not put those through Photograv because I can do a better job in Corel myself, the only thing I use the Photograv for is photos on wood and that is only part of the time. I have been able to take some pretty bad photos and make them useable for engraving but there have been a couple that I have had to come to the Creek for.