PDA

View Full Version : Need Point and Shoot Camera recommendation - also - two reviews.

Jim Underwood
01-19-2013, 9:04 AM
I'm looking for recommendations on a point and shoot camera. I'd like one with good macro focus and light/white balance metering qualities.
I primarily use a camera for taking stills of woodturning projects. That's not to say I wouldn't like one that would work well for landscape,
vacation, and social occasions. And one that took pretty good movies wouldn't go amiss for youtube videos.

What follows is a fairly lengthy account of my experience with two cameras. If you want, you can skip over that to the last paragraph,
and just give your recommendations. Also I'm looking to stay under $200. I paid less than $100 for the A410 and SZ-20 mentioned below.
I'm not interested in entry level SLRs because I have neither the means nor the will, to spend $500-$600 on a camera, and then add several
thou$and in accessories and lenses, so please don't waste your time.

I formerly received for my birthday, a Canon A410 3.2 megapixel with the old style CCD sensor. It sounds clunky compared to the features
and specifications of today. Actually, it had a great interface, and it was a real joy to use. You hardly had to think about it to get good pictures
with the auto settings. It also had a fair range of manual settings when one wanted to dial in white balance, ISO, and exposure settings for stills.

And use it I did - all the time for approximately 5 years. I took it everywhere; to turning club meetings, to my shop, to work, on vacations,
on walks and errands. It met it's demise on my last trip. Either the sensor or a ribbon failed, and any photos were grainy and filled with lines.
It was a sad day for me.

Thinking to upgrade this camera, I bought a Olympus SZ-20. It's a 16 megapixel camera with the new CMOS sensor, and a greater range of ISO,
and exposure settings. It has a (**35X**Oops!) Correction-> 12.5X optical zoom and a 1cm macro. Also it will take better movies. (After all the Canon didn't have any sound
whatsoever, and it's frame rate was really sketchy. With all those obviously superior features, how could I lose?

Well. The Olympus proved to be a great disappointment. For stills, it's an abysmal failure. The first thing is that for some odd reason,
Olympus decided to reset the timer feature after each shot. It won't stay set. Then to make it worse one must scroll down a list of
settings to get to set the timer settings. To make that even more excruciating, they put on one of those darn fiddly scroll wheels,
which, more often than not has you selecting the wrong feature... There's no HDR feature on this camera
(where you combine three shots with three different exposures) so one must use a software HDR. But with the timer the way it is,
even with a rock solid tripod, I suspect that fiddly scroll wheel and the stupid timer feature would make even the software HDR useless.

So much for taking 50-100 still shots with ease.

The worst thing is that focusing and metering are unreliable. On any backlit shot, indoors, outdoors, at close range or from 20 feet away,
the exposure was always incorrect. I took a trip around UGA campus with the family in late afternoon and the exposures were terrible.
I took a trip to Tallulah Gorge and the exposures were terrible. I took closeup shots of flowers in broad daylight and the focusing
and the exposures were terrible.

There are also little nit picky things about the camera I didn't like either, like the overlarge loop on the lanyard. It hardly does any good
when the thing slips off your wrist, over your hand, past the camera, and then dangles from the camera like a wily escape artist.
I finally knotted the darn thing to keep from dropping the camera.

Another thing that's fairly annoying is that there's no hard copy of the manual. Last thing I want to do is scroll through an on board manual,
and repeat searches through the manual while eating up the batteries. And it does eat up that proprietary battery with that large LCD screen.
The nice thing about the A410 was I could use AA batteries. With 8 rechargeables, I could have 4 in the charger, 2 in the case, and 2 in the camera,
and easily cover a days worth of shooting. Another battery eating thing about the SZ-20 was it has no sight window.
So I was faced with getting another $30-50 battery.

Also there are a bunch of bell and whistle presets on the SZ-20 - which are nice if the thing will take good pictures, but really useless if not.

To top it all off I kept getting "picture errors" message when I went to review shots I'd taken. At first I put it down to the clunky little SD card I had.
After getting a much bigger SDHC card, I still got those "picture error" messages, so I figure the camera is just screwed up.
It's got some glitchy thing that if all the settings are a little hinky, makes it error out.

Anyway, I'm looking for something to upgrade my old Canon that will be an equally easy camera to use.
It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest- it could be a little older but "tried and true" camera.
In fact, the A410 was an older, tried and true camera when I bought it.

Thanks for your attention and recommendation.

Danny Thompson
01-19-2013, 9:37 AM
Hi Jim,

A pro photographer once put me on to a GREAT camera review site: Steves Digicam (http://www.steves-digicams.com/). Steve shares incredibly detailed reviews of the full range of digital cameras, from point-and-shoot to SLR. You could dive into the deep end by reading all the detailed reviews, or just go to his "top picks" page: Steves Best Cameras (http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.html#ultra). I think what you are looking for is in the Ultracompact category, but it would be worth your time to check out Compact Super-zoom and Lifeproof categories, as well. Or go straight to Steves Holiday Gift Guide $150-$250 (http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/digital-camera-holiday-gift-guide---150---250-cameras.html).

Canons have served me well for about 15 years now. Nikon always seems like slightly higher quality. Panasonic gets good press (I had one of their camcorders once, but prefer my current Sony).

Best of luck.

Joe Angrisani
01-19-2013, 9:59 AM
Jim....

I'd suggest sticking with Canon. In my opinion they do compact cameras better than anyone (and I shoot Nikon dSLRs). Plus, you already speak of an affinity for their interface. Take a look at the A1300 or A1400 (with 28-140mm equivalent lenses), or the SX150 IS (with a 28-336mm lens). The A1300/A1400 is more compact, but all share the Canon family's interface.

I'd buy from B&H in New York (www.bhphotovideo.com (http://www.bhphotovideo.com)), or Amazon. Period.

Lee Schierer
01-19-2013, 11:18 AM
What ever you get make sure it runs on AA size batteries. You won't believe how many folks I encounter in my travels that have had their one of a kind batteries die just when they are away from their charger. I have a Canon A-560 and it takes excellent photos, uses AA batteries or AA size rechargeables. Make sure you get one with Optical zoom, not digital zoom. Digital zoom won't let you print large size prints since it will pixelate.

Myk Rian
01-19-2013, 11:39 AM
You should also consider the software with the camera.
I found Kodak to be a pain, but Canon has some pretty good SW.
I bought my Wife a Canon Power Shot ELPH camera a couple years ago.
Small, has some weight to it due to being well built. Takes some really great pictures, and videos. HDMI and USB connections.
The camera menu is easy to navigate.

Steve Meliza
01-19-2013, 12:44 PM
I've had a ~$200 Canon A720IS for several years that has been a great point & shoot. My favorite features were the AA batteries and image stabilization. It's only 8MP and 6x optical zoom, but by now they've likely replaced it with something much better.

What strikes me about your requirements is that you say you need a point & shoot then go on to describe needs and uses other than pointing and activating the shutter. I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that the kind of features and quality of image that you are looking for may not be found in a sub $200 point & shoot so another place to look for info on which cameras might meet your needs is DPReview (http://www.dpreview.com).

You said "no" to a dSLR based on the cost, but you can buy one used and the lens that comes on it will do everything and more that a point & shoot lens would do. There's no need to go out and spend a fortune on lenses and accessories if you wouldn't have done so for a point & shoot. I know, a new T3i is about $600 and out of your price range, but no one said you had to buy new. My wife and I got our dSLR at a local camera store used for about 50-60% of what it would have cost new about 5 years ago. The staff at the store knew the previous owner of the camera and said it was his backup camera and he sold it to get a newer and fancier backup camera. It looks and performs like new and had just under 12k shutter actuations. For example, a local camera shop has a used Canon EOS Rebel XT (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d) with 18-200mm lens for $225. It probably can't do film, but it is an example of a decent camera in your price range.

Jim Underwood
01-19-2013, 12:44 PM
(Posted this before I saw Steve Meliza's post.)

Thanks much for the tips and recommends. All morning I've been perusing reviews at Steve's digicam and comparing cameras at SnapSort.com. My wife has also recommended staying with the Canon. I'm sure she must be right because all of you have recommended the Canon so far.

The wild thing is that many of the Canon cameras I compare (A1300, A1400, A4000) lose because of the superior specifications of the Olympus SZ-20, but win in terms of hands-on reviews and actual experience. It's not all in the specs, is it? The way the pieces all come together makes a difference.

I'm currently looking at the Canon Elph 100 and 300 HS - lotta camera in that Elph 100 for the money.

Joe Angrisani
01-19-2013, 1:10 PM
....It's not all in the specs, is it? The way the pieces all come together makes a difference....

ALL the difference.

I think you'll find the main difference between the A-series and the ELPHs are that the A-series is CCD sensor, AA-batteries and 720 video and the ELPHs are CMOS sensor, proprietary battery and 1080 video. The ELPHs are slightly smaller - some find that a negative as it's certainly possible for a camera to be too small in real use.

Jim Underwood
01-19-2013, 1:36 PM
Steve Meliza says:

What strikes me about your requirements is that you say you need a point & shoot then go on to describe needs and uses other than pointing and activating the shutter.

Probably true... but to which needs and uses do you refer?

Steve Meliza
01-19-2013, 1:59 PM
What caught my eye in your post was trouble getting focus, good white balance, proper exposure, and wanting easy HDR. You are finding that in less than optimal shooting conditions the point & shoot camera's auto mode is failing you and even if you have tried manual mode it probably still fell short.

Click on the picture below if it doesn't show up full size. This is an example of a close-up photo where I had precise control over the point of focus, depth of focus, depth of field, exposure, ISO, and white balance. Since I shot in RAW mode I can always adjust the white balance later if need be. I don't know if you need that kind of control, I just want you to be aware that a used dSLR might be a better fit for the control and features that you seek.

Jim Underwood
01-19-2013, 2:23 PM
Perhaps... but I didn't have this kind of trouble with those things with my Canon A410. Perhaps it was because I wasn't expecting so much improvement as I was with an obviously superior camera. I certainly didn't expect WORSE with the Olympus SZ-20. Imagine my disappointment.

Myk Rian
01-19-2013, 2:24 PM
Since I shot in RAW mode I can always adjust the white balance later if need be.
But RAW photos need file conversion to be of use to the average P&S user, correct?
The fellow that took pictures of our last production, had to convert them before anyone else could use them.
Even he needed the conversions before making CDs of them.
That turned out to be a time consuming ordeal for him.

Mike Cutler
01-19-2013, 5:41 PM
Jim

If you liked the A410, why not get another one? They still sell them.

Myk
Yes a shot taken in RAW will ultimately need to be turned into another file type. What RAW does for you,based on manufacturer, is give you the maximum digital info to manipulate. It doesn't take long to convert them.
The original file will be quite large, but the end is whatever you need it to be.

Steve Meliza
01-19-2013, 6:51 PM
But RAW photos need file conversion to be of use to the average P&S user, correct?
The fellow that took pictures of our last production, had to convert them before anyone else could use them.
Even he needed the conversions before making CDs of them.
That turned out to be a time consuming ordeal for him.

Quite right, it's all part of why I'm saying that what Jim talks about needing has gone beyond the average P&S usage so he'll be fighting with a P&S camera to get what he wants where as a dSLR gives it to you the option to run in P&S mode or take over and tweak everything. For example, you can shoot RAW, jpeg, or both at the same time in case you find that you need to go back to the raw to change the white balance or want a better quality source to work from.

My A720IS allows me to adjust focus, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and white balance. But in each case the adjustment has to be done through a menu or series of button presses and often still left me with not enough choices to get the picture I wanted. With a dSLR you have extra controls for these important adjustments and can see all of the settings through the viewfinder along with a meter that shows you if you have proper exposure.

Dick Latshaw
01-19-2013, 8:49 PM
Have a look at the used DSLR market. KEH is the used camera seller favored by most pros. Reasonable selling prices (buying prices, not so much), strict grading, and a good return policy. My favorite Nikon lens came from them.

Darius Ferlas
01-19-2013, 9:15 PM
Instead of PS or DSLR you may want to look at the bridge cameras. They they still have point and shoot ease of use they also offer a lot of DSLR feaures.
One of the well reviewed cameras in this class is Nikon Coolpix P510 (excels in macro shots), but there is plenty of other similarly configured cameras.

Jim Underwood
01-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Before I bought the Olympus Sz-20, the Nikon P510 was one I was looking at, but at $300-350, it's a little out of my price range. I was also looking at the L810 which is a little closer to my price range, but still a little more than I want to pay...