PDA

View Full Version : Could someone tell me what I have here? Veneer with a border...

dirk martin
01-19-2013, 12:07 AM
I bought these packs of veneer, that you see in the pictures.
It's hard maple veneer, and it looks like the boarder is ash.
It's all taped together.
There's 25 sheets to each bundle, and I got several bundles.

Can someone give me an idea what this might have been planned for? I was thinking stair tread, but veneer is too thin to stand up to foot traffic.

Danny Thompson
01-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Dimensions?

Console table tops, perhaps?

HANK METZ
01-19-2013, 5:30 AM
Looks like drawer fronts to me, the center panel being bookmatched like that.

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

jim vancampen
01-19-2013, 9:02 AM
I second the drawer fronts

dirk martin
01-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Drawer fronts....eh?
Didn't think about that.
Yeah, I guess they could be, indeed.
From all the tape on the back, it looks like it was a lot of work to put together....

dirk martin
01-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Must be pretty rare. I've got no plans on building drawers, so I'm curious what they might be worth.
I did a search on ebay for DRAWER FRONT VENEER, and got zero hits.

Richard Coers
01-19-2013, 3:55 PM
Can't be worth much unless someone needs that exact dimension. Maybe $.50 each? Whoever buys it will someday be cutting it apart to fit their work. So really not worth more than raw veneer.

dirk martin
01-19-2013, 4:48 PM
Unless you think it's unique enough (which it seems to be) that you'd build your dresser or end table to conform to the veneer measurements.

Richard Coers
01-19-2013, 6:13 PM
Unless you think it's unique enough (which it seems to be) that you'd build your dresser or end table to conform to the veneer measurements.

Yeah, but where would you get material to match for building the rest of the dresser or end table?

Kevin Nathanson
01-19-2013, 6:35 PM
What you have there in the veneer world are called "faces". They are preassembled, jointed, mitered, etc. pieces of veneer that were destined for some sort of panel, like a cabinet door, drawer, wall panel, etc. Agreed; NOT stairs.

If you use them, remember that you are looking at the side you glue down; the tape comes off the other side after you are done. Also, you will need to put "balancing" veneer on the back of any panel that you use them on, to prevent the entire panel from cupping.

K