PDA

View Full Version : Screw lube effects

Gary Liming
01-18-2013, 9:46 PM
I've heard many suggestions over time about various lubes for wood screws - types of wax, oils, soaps, even body fluid, and I am sure they will all help get the screw where it is supposed to go, but what of the long term effects?

Is anyone familiar with having used some type of lube 20 or 30 years ago and can report on the joint today? I've heard some, like soaps that are hygroscopic, may cause the screw to rust, or some oils may cause the wood to deteriorate, etc. Do these or others wax have any long term effect on the wood or screw that anyone has observed? Is there anything to be sure to avoid if making something to last?

Just curious.

Thomas Hotchkin
01-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Gary
I have been using the same screw lube for the last 15 years IIRC. So far I have not found any any term effect from using this wax. I use it all the time on screws and some bolt & nut connections. I do not use very much on a single screw, just a little on tip of threads. Makes a big improvement in screw and bolt-nut installation. All it is, is toilet bowl wax seal, all of $00.75. Tom

Jerry Wright
01-19-2013, 12:41 AM
My father who would be 100 this month, if still living, used the same can of Johnson's paste wax to lube screws. He built much of the furniture in his home which I still own. All joints are still intact - even the glued up walnut tops!! May be only anecdotal evidence, but I would say the wax did no harm and sure made life before power drivers simpler!

Charles McKinley
01-19-2013, 1:10 AM
Soap does attract water and rusts the screws.

I have used both the toilet wax ring and paste wax and bees wax.

I also use past wax on my saws. Most automotive waxes will have silicone in them stay away. Silicone contamination can cause major finishing problems like fish eye.

jim vancampen
01-19-2013, 8:14 AM
I use mowhawk screw-eze... or maybe it's called slide-eze. It works good and haven't had any long term problems.

Chuck Foster
01-19-2013, 8:26 AM
I grabbed some paraffin my wife was using for cooking or canning (whatever it is they use it for) some 30yrs ago and have used it ever since.

Dave Richards
01-19-2013, 8:35 AM
I've also found paraffin to be good. The only problem, if you could call it that, is that a bar of it will last you a lifetime and they sell it four bars to a box in the canning section of the grocery store. It is very inexpensive though.

I also use it as a mask on surfaces when gluing to prevent glue squeeze out from soaking into the wood. I dry clamp the parts and run the bar of paraffin along the seam line making sure I get a good layer. Let the squeeze out sit until it is hard and run a card scraper over it to pop it off and scrape off the paraffin. A quick wipe with mineral spirits will get any remaining paraffin.

Kevin Guarnotta
01-19-2013, 8:55 AM
That paraffin tip for glue jonts is priceless....thanks! I seem to run into that problem every other project.
As for screw lube, I haven't been using it long enough to let you know about long term consequences...

david brum
01-19-2013, 9:46 AM
+2 on the toilet bowl seal. One ring is probably enough to 10 lifetimes, but it works great. The wax is sticky, so you just jam a screw in, and it's ready to use. Paste wax also works well for sure, but not as convenient as the toilet seal.

John Piwaron
01-19-2013, 10:03 AM
I've also found paraffin to be good. The only problem, if you could call it that, is that a bar of it will last you a lifetime and they sell it four bars to a box in the canning section of the grocery store. It is very inexpensive.

4 bars are a couple of normal lifetimes. :) Not really a problem. I use paraffin too. Non-hygroscopic, no silicone in it. Sounds good to me.

Dave Richards
01-19-2013, 10:58 AM
John, you're right. My dad even left a bar of it to me in his will. :D

Bill White
01-19-2013, 12:15 PM
+3 on the toilet wax ring. Keep it in the shop fridge, and lasts a LOOOOONG time. Never had a prob.
Bill

Jacob Reverb
01-19-2013, 12:47 PM
+3 on the toilet wax ring.

+4

Except I melt it and mix it with about 50% paraffin, which keeps it from melting sooner in hot weather or when the screw gets hot from friction.

Brian Jarnell
01-19-2013, 5:34 PM
I use a stick of dry lube from car accessory shop.

Jerry Thompson
01-19-2013, 5:51 PM
My Dad gave me 30# of bee's wax. I first used it on several blanket chests over 20 years ago and have seen not nor heard of any problems.

Jim Andrew
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
The parrafin on the surface seems like a good idea. What affect would it have on a sanding belt if you didn't wipe it off?

Dave Richards
01-20-2013, 5:37 AM
The parrafin on the surface seems like a good idea. What affect would it have on a sanding belt if you didn't wipe it off?

I suppose it might clog it up a little bit. Easily cleaned up with mineral spirits or one of those sanding belt cleaner sticks. Sanding has never been the first step after glue up for me when there is squeeze out to contend with.

Gary Liming
01-22-2013, 4:42 PM
Ok, thanks guys for the feedback - that's at least one question answered today!

Chris Padilla
01-22-2013, 8:14 PM
I've also found paraffin to be good. The only problem, if you could call it that, is that a bar of it will last you a lifetime and they sell it four bars to a box in the canning section of the grocery store. It is very inexpensive though.

I also use it as a mask on surfaces when gluing to prevent glue squeeze out from soaking into the wood. I dry clamp the parts and run the bar of paraffin along the seam line making sure I get a good layer. Let the squeeze out sit until it is hard and run a card scraper over it to pop it off and scrape off the paraffin. A quick wipe with mineral spirits will get any remaining paraffin.

Can ya send me a bar so I'll have a lifetime supply? :D

Dave Richards
01-22-2013, 8:25 PM
Can ya send me a bar so I'll have a lifetime supply? :D
As a matter of fact, I could. I wonder if the stamp will stick to it. :D PM me your address and I'll send you a bar.