PDA

View Full Version : Price Matching

Larry Frank
01-18-2013, 9:16 PM
I was reading an older thread which mentioned prices at Best Buy and that you could do better on the web.

I found out that Best Buy will price match with Amazon and several others. I have bought a couple of things there lately and brought in a printed page with the Amazon price and they did match the price.

I was also in the store with my son who had a smart phone with an app on it to read the bar code and go out and get the price at such places as Amazon. So there were were in the store reading the bar codes and looking at the price on Amazon. The world has certainly changed.

Matt Meiser
01-18-2013, 9:19 PM
OK, but...why would I want to drive to Best Buy and wait in line for someone to match the price when I can just click Buy It Now on Amazon and have it in 2 days (or tomorrow if I spring for the extra $3.99. Prime is a wonderful thing.

Plus that cable that's not included? $5 at Amazon, $25 at Best Buy and its got their proprietary brand on it so they don't have to match that.

Biff Johnson
01-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Anybody else noticed that Amazon's prices aren't what they used to be? I live about 45 miles from any major retailers so the free shipping saves me money in the long run. Used to be you could find fantastic prices, now they are just okay.

David Weaver
01-19-2013, 8:25 AM
Yeah, they are not. I'm a prime member, but about half the time or maybe more like 3/4ths, I can find as good of a price local, always better on something that's small. If walmart has a large item, sometimes it's significantly less, and a lot of time when you look at the prime prices on something that's $90 or so, you'll see other sellers listing the same thing for a fair bit less even including shipping. There are some things, though, that they're competitive on but it's not a given.

I won't go to BB for price match. I recall going there about 10 years ago, and they told me flatly they weren't price matching any of their prices in their own online store. It's fine that they changed their policy a little, but it's only because they're in a bind trying to do what everyone else has been doing for a long time.

Pat Barry
01-19-2013, 8:54 AM
Mat, because you get it NOW. No waiting for shipping, plus you get to touch and feel all the other cool stuff, try that at Amazon

Myk Rian
01-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Plus that cable that's not included? $5 at Amazon, $25 at Best Buy and its got their proprietary brand on it so they don't have to match that.
Good point.
Amazing.

Myk Rian
01-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Target stores also price match the web.

Brian Elfert
01-19-2013, 11:35 AM
My experience with Amazon is that their prices are still fairly competitive unless you get into larger heavier items like TVs. I bought some Oral B brush heads for $13.99 shipping included the other day. They cost $20 or up typically at a big box store. I did see that Walmart.com sells them for the same price as Amazon, but Walmart shipping is only free to the store. (Pricing is different at Walmart stores and they don't match their website.)

If you have Prime Amazon can be cheaper for sure if you need something in two days. I was looking for a toner cartridge the other day and Amazon was $15 to $20 more, but if you needed 2nd day shipping it would be a good deal. If you need something overnight Amazon can be a REALLY good deal as they only charge $3.99 an item if you have prime. (I have a prime trial for 90 days.)

Larry Frank
01-19-2013, 9:16 PM
I think that you always have to do some looking at prices and how soon you need it. If I need something right away, I will go to BestBuy and us the price match. If I can wait, then if Amazon is a good price, I will buy it there. I am not going to go nuts comparing prices but want to pay as little as reasonable.