PDA

View Full Version : Dust extractor

Ed Brady
01-18-2013, 7:20 PM
I am in the market for a dust extractor with a HEPA filter. The Festool CT 26 is one choice, but the Bosch 3931A-PBH may be as good or better. I did a forum search for these two items, but didn't turn up any threads. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts re these units?

Thanks,

Ed Brady

Todd Brewer
01-19-2013, 9:43 PM
No experience with the Bosch, but I have drunk the green cool-aid and every time I use a green tool, I smile. Festool ain't inexpensive, but they are extremely well designed. I have the Midi Dust Extractor and added the Ultimate Dust Deputy. My understanding, with the exception of the mini, all Festool Dust Extractors use the same motor. So I saved some $ by buying the Midi instead of a larger unit and added the Ultimate Dust Deputy. The Festool canister capacity is meaningless as most of the dust is captured in the Ultimate Dust Deputy.

Do you own any Festool products?

Steve Rozmiarek
01-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Ed, I was asking myself the same question before Christmas, and started a thread about it. Todd, and others recommendations led me to buying the CT26. Thanks Todd! It is a very nice machine. Pricey of course, but I don't regret it. In fact, it was my first Festool, and it's build quality got me thinking I ought to add a Domino, and some accessories and I'm sure that won't be all.

My favorite difference between Festool and the others are Systainers. I really like being able to use the vacuum to lug around whatever tools I'm using for that job. So far it's been flooring in the house, and it is nice to just have all the extra tools in a box on top of the vacuum, easily movable If that is not important to you, there were some other strong looking contenders out there. Dewalt and Craftsman makes interesting looking HEPA options as well as the Bosch you mentioned, for less money.

Ellen Benkin
01-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Around Christmas I was looking at different Festool vacuums and posted a query here. A Festool guy informed me (and all the rest of us) that all their current dust extractors are exactly the same (motor, HEPA) except for the capacity. I am using it with a sander, so I got the mini. I like the machine and the fact that you can store the cord and the hose on the top, as well as using it as a base to stack systainers.

Charlie Watson
01-20-2013, 1:09 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but I am also looking at the CT26. I read somewhere that the CT26 only fits Festool tools, is that true or is there an attachment available to fit others?

Steve Rozmiarek
01-20-2013, 1:23 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but I am also looking at the CT26. I read somewhere that the CT26 only fits Festool tools, is that true or is there an attachment available to fit others?

Charlie, like what other tools? The Festool hoses have a flexible rubber type end. There are a bunch of adapters out there, search Amazon for them for example. I honestly can't think of anything that you couldn't adapt a Festool to. The hoses are a metric size, I forget what, there are three different size hoses from 1 1/4"ish to 2"ish . I've only used mine on the floor tools and the Domino, so I guess I don't have any firsthand examples of others compatible with no adapter tools.

Wade Lippman
01-20-2013, 1:44 PM
1) My festool hose end fits my PC sanders and joiner just fine.

2) I use a Dyson canister with a dust deputy. Wonderful combination. Very little gets by the DD and that is stopped by the Dyson. Filters stay clean. Plenty of power.

Charlie Watson
01-20-2013, 2:55 PM
Steve, just wondering if, for example, I could use it with my Makita DXT mitre saw or would I need an adapter

Tom Willoughby
01-20-2013, 4:00 PM
I agree that the dust deputy makes the size of the dust extractor a non issue. Mobility, however, may be an issue with the dust deputy unless it is somehow attached to the dust extractor. You might get lucky if you can get a closeout of the discontinued DeWalt dust extractor, D27905 hepa (10 gal.), that is being replaced with another DeWalt model. Rockler had them on sale not too long ago but they are no longer on their website. I think that they were being sold for approximately $250, which included the HEPA filter, which is being sold for a hundred bucks!

Tom

Steve Rozmiarek
01-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Charlie, I have a LS Makita, I can check it in the morning, but I think it fits. Will measure too so you can verify the saws are the same size port.

Mike Heidrick
01-21-2013, 9:31 AM
The Bosch VAC005 5-Meter Vacuum Hose 35mm looks interesting. Should adapt most any shopvac to festool easily. $26 on amazon.

Greg R Bradley
01-21-2013, 10:42 AM
I am in the market for a dust extractor with a HEPA filter. The Festool CT 26 is one choice, but the Bosch 3931A-PBH may be as good or better. I did a forum search for these two items, but didn't turn up any threads. Does anyone have any experience/thoughts re these units?

Thanks,

Ed Brady
"as good or better" for what? There are advantages and disadvantages of each. The Bosch you mentioned is discontinued and may be available at an attractive price. That is the long standard Bosch vac with HEPA filters. I have the non-HEPA version in use for years at a business dedicated to a Bosch concrete grinder and Rotary Hammers. The new model is built completely for HEPA and also has a locked on hose.

One of the factors driving a bunch of new vacs on the market is the vague laws regarding HEPA requirements for lead abatement. Some enforcement interpretation is requiring HEPA vacuums and not a vac that was available non-HEPA-then-converted. With the new fines-as-a-tax governement, many contracters don't want to take chances and prefer a vac that was never available non-HEPA.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Ok, checked my LS1013 Makita saw for fit with my Festool CT26 vac and hoses. I have a 36mm hose that fits the 1 7/16" port on the saw perfectly. Makes one heck of a dust collector for it too. That hose is the mid size one. They have 27mm, 36mm, and 50mm. That corresponds to 1-1/16", 1-7/16" and 1-5/16", or really close for us imperial minded ludites. As I mentioned above, the ends of the Festool hoses are rubber, so a bit bigger fittings on your tools probably won't matter. Amazon has a pile of adapters that would do anything else that you may desire.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-21-2013, 10:26 PM
"as good or better" for what? There are advantages and disadvantages of each. The Bosch you mentioned is discontinued and may be available at an attractive price. That is the long standard Bosch vac with HEPA filters. I have the non-HEPA version in use for years at a business dedicated to a Bosch concrete grinder and Rotary Hammers. The new model is built completely for HEPA and also has a locked on hose.

One of the factors driving a bunch of new vacs on the market is the vague laws regarding HEPA requirements for lead abatement. Some enforcement interpretation is requiring HEPA vacuums and not a vac that was available non-HEPA-then-converted. With the new fines-as-a-tax governement, many contracters don't want to take chances and prefer a vac that was never available non-HEPA.

Greg, that is a great point about the regs causing the funny business with the current models of vacs. My Fesvac came with a certificate of compliance for that very law, and I saw that the Onieda machines do as well. Makes me feel so much safer to have that piece of paper now...

Todd Brewer
01-22-2013, 8:58 PM
Ed, I was asking myself the same question before Christmas, and started a thread about it. Todd, and others recommendations led me to buying the CT26. Thanks Todd! It is a very nice machine. Pricey of course, but I don't regret it. In fact, it was my first Festool, and it's build quality got me thinking I ought to add a Domino, and some accessories and I'm sure that won't be all.

My favorite difference between Festool and the others are Systainers. I really like being able to use the vacuum to lug around whatever tools I'm using for that job. ...snip.

Look out, you have drunk the green kool-aid! :D I highly recommend the Ultimate Dust Deputy for your new Festool vac. It fastens to the dust extractor like the systainers do (I had to widen the slits in the dust deputy container in order to get the Midi latches to attach to the container, I think an oversight on Oneida's part). Of course you will loose the ability to attach systainers to the vac. But, you will save your Festool filter, as almost all dust will be captured by the dust deputy. The Ultimate Dust Deputy comes with a rectangular container, works very well and looks nice too. If you get one, I recommend using silicon between the Oneida cyclone and the Oneida dust container instead of the supplied gasket.

I'm happy you're happy! :D

I agree that the dust deputy makes the size of the dust extractor a non issue. Mobility, however, may be an issue with the dust deputy unless it is somehow attached to the dust extractor. You might get lucky if you can get a closeout of the discontinued DeWalt dust extractor, D27905 hepa (10 gal.), that is being replaced with another DeWalt model. Rockler had them on sale not too long ago but they are no longer on their website. I think that they were being sold for approximately $250, which included the HEPA filter, which is being sold for a hundred bucks!

Tom
I don't have any issues with the Ultimate Dust Deputy on the Midi with regards to mobility. Unlike what Oneida shows for the standard dust deputy (a bucket attached to the side of your vac) the Ultimate sits on top of the Festool vac and uses the Festool latches to lock it down. I also have a "standard" shop vac and configured a dust deputy (with the buckets) to sit on top of that vac. Takes up less floor space and is still stable.