PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Steady Rest

Timothy Mann
01-18-2013, 7:19 PM
Started by laying out the pattern on a sheet of 3/4 oak plywood. I cut 3 pieces as close to the same as I could and lamenated them together on the base I cut from a piece of 3/4 solid oak. Once the glue was dry I sand inside and out. I then laid out where the arms would go and cut them as shown in the photos, about 3/8 deep, and cleaned out the botton of the cuts with a chisel. From the research I did prior to starting this project I knew that some people had issues with their laser hitting one of the arms, so I cut 2 extra slots in the SR in case I need to move them out of the way as needed.

My fiancee found the roller blades at goodwill for $5, so I have 4 wheels left over for spares or another project.

A few weeks ago Rockler in Portland had the 4ft T-Track kits with all hardware included on sale for about $13.

The piece that will fit under the ways to lock it down is drying in clamps tonight. I am going to put a coat of finish on the SR tomorrow as well. Will post some photos of it in use as soon as I am able to. Any comments or criticism are welcome.

Marc Himes
01-18-2013, 8:22 PM
Looks like it should do the job, Tim.

Bernie Weishapl
01-18-2013, 8:45 PM
It looks like it will work just fine.

Thom Sturgill
01-18-2013, 9:04 PM
Looks good, and sure should do the job. I do think a slot at 12:00 would work better than the two extras you cut. Three wheel are still pretty stable in that configuration.

Rodney Walker
01-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Nice looking job. It should work well for you. I like the thinner section of oak at the bottom you made for clearance.
Rodney

Bill Bulloch
01-19-2013, 7:19 AM
Nice design. I like that you made the bottom piece with a lower profile so as not to restrict the size of the piece you are turning. How are the Wheel Arms being held in the slots?

Timothy Mann
01-19-2013, 6:23 PM
Thank you all for the comments. Bill the T-Track kit comes with the bolts and knobs, the bolt slides into the track I have attached some photos to show you.

Lloyd Keniston
01-19-2013, 7:06 PM
Hi Tim., Nice looking rig. I have two questions. 1. How did you attach it to your lathe? 2. How do you align it to the headstock, or make sure that it's 90º to the bed?

Timothy Mann
01-19-2013, 7:47 PM
Hi Tim., Nice looking rig. I have two questions. 1. How did you attach it to your lathe? 2. How do you align it to the headstock, or make sure that it's 90º to the bed?

Hi Lloyd, useing a square I glued a 1/4 piece of oak on the bottom of the steady rest to keep it 90 degrees to the ways. I then cut another piece of oak that looks like an inverted T but fatter that slides under the ways, the SR bolt attachs to a nut I mounted into a mortise. 251776